Register

Fan of Caper Berries ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Fan of Caper Berries ?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Caper Berries .. :lol: :lol:

Caper berries are an unopened bud that is known as capers and are allowed to mature, and after the flowers fall off, a fruit called a Caper berry develops ..

In Catalonia and Spain, they are marinated in white wine vinegar, which provides them with plenty of snap and a tang and are served with olives, cheeses and patés and sometimes pickles ..

Any one else a fan of Caper berries ? :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Fan of Caper Berries ?

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Caperberries are one of my favourite pre-lunch nibbles :thumbsup

Postby Luca » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:14 pm

An essential ingredient when having carpaccio or steak tartare IMO. Also a good addition to a coquillettes pasta salad, alongside other components of course.

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm glad to read this thread. I bought a jar a while back and wondered what you did with them and how they differed from the little green ones. Good ho.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:47 pm

I have to hide any opened jar of caperberries from myself :oops:

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:24 pm

I needed some for the Chicken Marbella dish that I'm making today, so had to use chopped small cornichons instead. :(

How long do they keep for, stored in a refrigerator? The instructions usually say for a month.
Last edited by Renee on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Suffs wrote:I have to hide any opened jar of caperberries from myself :oops:

That gets easier with age when you start to forget where you hid things. A pleasant surprise awaits much later... ;)

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm like Suffs i can't resist thie things! I always have them on the table if we do a BBQ because it ust seems right.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:38 pm

I love capers but don't think I've tried Caper Berries. I can't help thinking that if I did try them I would be the same as Joan and Suffs. i have seen photos of them and they do look rather wonderful. I must buy a jar the next time I see them.

One nibble I am a big fan of are the Spanish pickled anchovies. The last time we had them at a tapas bar I had to say to Mr Strictly 'Please have some of these before I wolf down the lot!'. Once he tried them he was forever smitten too!

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Renée wrote:I needed some for the Chicken Marseilles dish that I'm making today, so had to use chopped small cornichons instead. :(

How long do they keep for, stored in a refrigerator? The instructions usually say for a month.

Ooooh no! Nothing like that long ... not if my memory's working .... :oops: see my previous post :lol: :yum

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:49 pm

Errrmmm … yes! I opened the tin this morning and there are only eight left, so please ignore my question! :D

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Renée wrote:Errrmmm … yes! I opened the tin this morning and there are only eight left, so please ignore my question! :D

Join the caper berry fan club :newhuggy

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Good Evening, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

What a pleasant surprise to find 11 members with feedback & suggestions .. :lol: :lol:

Of course, there are capers ( tiny morsels from Sicilia ) used in Pasta Puttanesca and then, there are " large olive sized " Green Caper Berries !

Yes, caper berries are an extraordinary " bar appetiser " and also a grand accompaniment to all types of "antipasti", mezze, Tapas, charcuterie & cheese ..

I can definitely go through a jar alone so I always buy more than 1 jar !!

Renée,
To answer Renée, I never have put them in the fridge as they have never lasted that long !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again .. We had a real lovely day today and decided to walk on the beach after our Nigriri and Sashimi & now am packing for my trip tomorrow ..

Have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Sorry, I made a mistake. It was the little green capers that I needed for a recipe and although I've seen Caper Berries, I have yet to try them. I can get them in Waitrose.

I needed green olives too, so used some from a tin of Fragata Spanish olives stuffed with anchovy, which I'm sure would enhance the flavour. They certainly tasted good! :lol: :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Greek, Italian and Spanish olives are always wonderful, amongst other Mediterranean designations ..

Understand ..

Capers are prepared in pasta and fish dishes baked or sautéed however, Caper Berries are eaten room temperature as part of Antipasti, with charcuterie, olives, cheeses, patés .. They are served in bars, during the harvest season too ..

If you like olives and capers, I am sure that you shall enjoy Caper Berries !!!

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 am

Understood Member 461! :lol: :lol:

Night night!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:34 am

Thank you Renée .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely week ahead .. :wave :wave

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am

i love them although i was disappointed with the last jar i bought, it had a few, rather woody ones in.
they do not last a month in the fridge - silly notion!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:23 pm

I love caper berries, and capers
I usually have a jar of the little nonpareil capers in the fridge, I like them in brine, don't mind the vinegary ones but don't like the ones packed in almost dry salt, too salty whatever you do to them

However I bought a jar of capers packed in evoo, they are nice but as the capers are previously brined, with a touch of vinegar, I am not sure what the point is other than to waste money as of course I have evoo inthe cupboard

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Caperberries have, unfortunately, disappeared from the Caracas markets. Not before I´d tried them a million times, however; wonderful flavour and a delicious texture.
I loved them with salamis/preserved meats. An acidic touch to the fatty meats.
I once made some deep fried caperberries. Try them one day - although you´ll need to put a lid on the fryer!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox