Register

Moroccan Tagine Lemon Chicken & Olives

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Moroccan Tagine Lemon Chicken & Olives

Postby Alexandria » Wed May 30, 2018 9:36 am

This classic of Moroccan gastronomy calls for the indispensible ingredient, "preserved lemons", however, one can substitute fresh lemons though it shall be delicious, it shall not be exactly the same ..

This could be prepared in a Tagine or in a Dutch Oven stove top or in the oven in an earthenware ..

8 pieces of chicken ( one can use the parts they prefer .. I use boneless chicken breasts )
8 tiny onions minced
2 bunches of Italian Parsley minced
2 or 3 minced garlic cloves
4 lemons cut lengthwise into 6 wedges ( or Preserved lemons )
6 Tblsps. French Provençal Evoo or Italian Evoo or 100% Hojiblanca Evoo from Spain
2 tsps cumin ground
2 tsps ginger ground or fresh ginger root
2 tsps Saffron threads ( soak in a shot glass for no more than 10 minutes )
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
100 Grams of brine cured olives ( similar to Kalamata )

1) Divide the chicken, onions, parsley, garlic, Evoo, fresh lemons or preserved lemons, Evoo, cumin, ginger, salt, pepper, and saffron ( add with the wáter soaked in ) between two Tagines or Dutch Ovens or earthenware "cazuelas".

2) Cover, and simmer or bake in oven, at medium heat until chicken is cooked through and stir occasionally with a wooden spatula and add a bit of water if necessary to prevent sticking. I use chicken broth from home made chicken stock verses water ..

3) Cooking time varies from 30 to 40 minutes depending on choice of cooking vessel .. Plus 10 minutes more for the olives ..

4) Add half the olives to each of the cooking vessels, cover and continue cooking another 10 minutes.

5) Transfer to a large platter and garnish with fresh parsley ..

Heavenly dish .. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Moroccan Tagine Lemon Chicken & Olives

Postby Renee » Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am

Now this is a recipe that I've made several times, Member 461 and you've reminded me to make it again. I can easily get preserved lemons, although I did once make my own, but went back to buying them because they are a certain type of small lemon.

It is interesting that the saffron threads are soaked for no more than 10 minutes, because I soak mine for much longer. I realise that there must be a reason for the shorter soaking time.

Thank you and have a lovely day! :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Wed May 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Firstly, Thank You for all your feedback and your visit .. :clap :clap

To answer your enquiry, Saffron has a tendency when over soaked in water or used excessively in thread form, to create a "bitterness" and all I want to do is add a bit of color and provide a "hint" of Saffron ..

However, we each have a distinct tolerance for spices, herbs, bulbs, and flavor notes; bitter, salty, sweet, sour etcetra .. :clap :clap

I am a grand fan of Tagine Cuisine (In Berber, Tajine) .. :lol: :lol:

I serve this dish with a side of Couscous and prepare it in special Couscous Steamer which I had bought in Morocco ..

Have a lovely day and Thank you .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed May 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Can I pressure cook it? :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Whitefield, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe you could alter the recipe slightly to accomodate a Pressure Cooker and time allowance ..

I highly suggest that you Google, Pressure Cooker Moroccan Lemon Chicken & Olives and see what the timing and nuances are ..

Thanks for all your feedback .. This is a truly heavenly dish ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Amyw » Wed May 30, 2018 3:25 pm

I’ve made tagines before quite a few times . My preference is chicken thighs for more flavour . I would always get off the onion, fresh ginger and spices first to soften and bring out the flavour .
I usually add some fruit such as pruned or apricots to add sweetness to the dish . I never use evoo to cook with , just for salad dressings , as I think the flavours too strong to cook with and it had a lower smoke point so more likely to burn

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed May 30, 2018 3:46 pm

I will have a play around Member 461. A tagine is one of my all time favourites. Bone in Chicken thighs may be the key if I am to lob it all in my new best friend :lol:

I reckon I could have it cooked in the time it take to steam my cous cous!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 30, 2018 10:01 pm

I agree with Renee, I prefer the little aromatic Beldi lemons you buy ready salted here to those made with the larger Sicilian type lemons

I also agree with Amy that I prefer chicken thighs, I prefer the meat and a tagine seems right with alittle bone

I make a similar tagine quite often, chicken thighs, always green olives (or violet if I can get them), no parsley in mine, a little water, and I use a bit more spice, either addingg ras el hanout or some paprika, ground coriander, and a cinnamon stick. I also add a little water, which you would need if pressure cooking

I think this and lamb meatballs are my favourite tagines

Postby Alexandria » Wed May 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Sue,

Thank you for your feedback ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox