Register

Pressure Cooker

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Pressure Cooker

Postby DEB » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 am

The trick with beans and pulse etc is not to fill more than 1/3 including the water/liquid. This means if they do froth up it does not get to the valve. It also helps if you do not let it go mad a gentle hiss now and again is okay but a constant mad hiss id not good. I find it is best to cook beans etc of 5mins or so less than recommended let the pressure drop and the boil until cooked without pressure so I do not over cook them to a mush. In general I find that beans need about 1/3 of the recommended time when done in a pressure cooker. \hope this helps.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu May 31, 2018 9:02 am

Cheers DEB, I will have a go at making a daal over the weekend and see how it goes.

I am going for a 1 week pressure cooker only week.

Postby jeral » Thu May 31, 2018 2:26 pm

WhitefieldFoodie, you'll have us all at it ;)

The 1/3rd full for beans is interesting. I was earlier thinking about a much smaller one than a huge heavy 5L (for my needs being non meat) but knowing that PCs of any size should be filled only to 2/3rd max (space for steam that causes the pressure), the full capacity usually quoted needs adjusting accordingly. So, if beans are 1/3rd, the smallest ones would be very small capacity, so...

Q: Is there a minimum fill level please as a proportion of quoted capacity? Ta.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 31, 2018 2:43 pm

I am very tempted to go for either an Instant Pot or a Pressure King, I do have a storage issue but of course move my Hi-Dome pressure cooker to the loft... think I'll leave it for a while but definitely at the back of my mind

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu May 31, 2018 3:57 pm

I have to resist - must resist - no more new cooking appliances until space made...………………………... :roll:

I do still suffer from pressure cooker terror - all that hissing & whirling from years ago left me scarred :D ( not literally) I have a deep distrust of 'em!

And - as far as beans go - I don't find cooking them a problem in the saucepan - in fact, I like the whole ritual of them simmering away on the hob - quite comforting in fact.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

I like those one week things.
We used to do 1 week fish. 1 week soup (booooooring), 1 week salad.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox