Register

Bank Holiday Eating Plans

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Bank Holiday Eating Plans

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 am

Mark, you've got a holiday your way too, I see.

Scottish salmon fillet today. With Italian lentils.
I've got focaccia mixed on the side, which won't take long to make in the pleasant warmth of the kitchen.

And as with all bank holidays in the UK, we are driving to the local garden centre to get some flowers.

What's happening your way?

Re: Bank Holiday Eating Plans

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am

Sounds truly lovely Gil .. :clap :clap

We are finshed with our Bank Holidays here in Spain ( the 1st, 2nd and the 15th ) ..

We normally drive up to see our parents, who live on the northern Costa Brava Coast .. And we take the family boat out ..

Normally, the fresh wild catch (seasonally ) !

A fideuà, a Vermecelli Paella with fresh shellfish is a traditional family affair and whatever the traditional classics of the holiday we are celebrating are .. :lol: :lol:

During the week of May 7th, we had flown down to the Madrid Capital for 1 week to attend a Gastro Eno Travel Convention ..

Have a wonderful day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun May 27, 2018 11:06 am

It's been a crab-fest here Gilly - Himself bought 3 large crab from the fishmongers on Friday, so pliers out & let the cleaning & dressing commence - took ages, but so worth it - we had enough for two very extravagant meals Friday & Sat. - just crab & salad with crusty baguette oink oink! - crab meat is so sweet this time of year. Oh, & I forgot the very cheeky chilled white that kept it company!

I've just finished cooking a pot of dried flageolets to go with calves liver tonight & also cooked a pot of split peas that I will turn into garlicy hummus in a minute.
Spaghetti carbonara planned for tomorrow.

Snap on the garden centre later :D !!
I lost quite a few plants this year with the snow which was unusual for down here. Fortunately we go past a favourite little spot on the beach where we get a plate of fried whitebait & a glass or two of wine :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Great stuff, Member 461.
Nice to get together with the family.

We shall be up on the Brave Coast soon enough. Almejas al vapor here I come ......

You have been busy, Lush.
Tony adores crab. I once bought him a white meat crab sandwich, on the i of wight. Just a squeeze of lemon.
He was very unimpressed, even though it was twice the price for the quality.

No brown meat! Dear oh dear, the disappointment is still mentioned.

Postby Luca » Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:It's been a crab-fest here Gilly - Himself bought 3 large crab from the fishmongers on Friday, so pliers out & let the cleaning & dressing commence - took ages, but so worth it - we had enough for two very extravagant meals Friday & Sat. - just crab & salad with crusty baguette oink oink! - crab meat is so sweet this time of year. Oh, & I forgot the very cheeky chilled white that kept it company!

I've just finished cooking a pot of dried flageolets to go with calves liver tonight & also cooked a pot of split peas that I will turn into garlicy hummus in a minute.
Spaghetti carbonara planned for tomorrow.

Snap on the garden centre later :D !!
I lost quite a few plants this year with the snow which was unusual for down here. Fortunately we go past a favourite little spot on the beach where we get a plate of fried whitebait & a glass or two of wine :thumbsup

Has my invitation gone missing? ;-) Sounds delicious. Fresh crab is heaven on a plate.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 am

Haha ha
Welcome Luca. And have a super bank holiday.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 28, 2018 10:04 am

I'll be cooking a mild salmon, leek and asparagus 'kedgeree' tonight for Mr Strictly and myself. As he is averse to curry spices I only use turmeric to make it, hence the inverted commas around kedgeree! Not sure about pudding yet. Due to what we have in the cupboard it could either be crackers and cheese, chocolate custard pots or the remains of the frozen rhubarb cheesecake I made earlier in the week (over 2 nights!).

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 am

I was thinking of going to the London Cheese Project at the Geffrye Museum, but I have more cheese than I need in the house already so I might not bother, I'm tired too

I've just been catching meals on the run or skipping them, as I've been busy with Bank Holiday events, I cooked a littke gammon joint last week so sections of that have been my mainstay

Trying to think of something interesting to do for tonight.... I have some frozen king prawns to use up and some lovely asparagus, so risotto might be a plan

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 28, 2018 10:51 am

That's the beauty of rice dishes, Stricters.
You can get so much flavour into them without too much effort. I used to make boiled rice and chicken for my hound in later life.
And it was pretty darned good.

Ditto, Sue.
I cannot think of what to do tonight. Something will occur to me.
I'd have prawn and asparagus risotto like a shot!

I had prawn, (bought) hummus and rocket tortilla the other day. Jolly nice.
This one is with teryaki mayonnaise.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 28, 2018 11:27 am

We've got a 'little' food market in town today, would be down there by now but after last night we're going at half speed :wino

There is a lovely Tessa Kiros recipe for king prawn and asparagus linguine, we have that lots at this time of year. It's in Falling Cloudberries but easily found online

Postby Luca » Mon May 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Haha ha
Welcome Luca. And have a super bank holiday.

Thanks Gill! You too!

I've been busy gardening but later lunch will be carpaccio with shavings of Parmesan, capers and home grown rocket and mixed leaves salad drizzled with a special evoo, fennel salad, home grown French radishes with a dab of iced butter and Maldon salt. Two or three different cheeses and baguette and if wanted, lemon sorbet.

I hope everybody is having a wonderful day!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Badgers, poor you. I'll keep the noise down and whisper .......

Thanks Luca. Will do.
Enjoy your super foodie treats. They sound excellent to me.
Especially after working hard in the garden.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue May 29, 2018 5:03 pm

Luca wrote:Has my invitation gone missing? Sounds delicious. Fresh crab is heaven on a plate

As has been said before Luvlie, - you are always more than welcome here Luca.......!!

But you are right, fresh crab needs absolutely nothing - just more crab....... :)

I'm going to have to try & reign Him in a bit - 2 would have done - he can't stop Himself..............

Postby Luca » Tue May 29, 2018 7:36 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
As has been said before Luvlie, - you are always more than welcome here Luca.......!!

But you are right, fresh crab needs absolutely nothing - just more crab....... :)

I'm going to have to try & reign Him in a bit - 2 would have done - he can't stop Himself..............

I'll be heading your way at some stage I hope, as I need some fresh sea air and a change of scene so let's make a plan via pm.

Two crab would be sufficient but with 3 you get leftovers!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 30, 2018 8:37 am

You should go, Lucinda.
It's an easy train ride I think for you.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Sounds like a good plan.......... :thumbsup

Postby Luca » Wed May 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Sounds like a good plan.......... :thumbsup

You have a message. 8-)

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm

No I don't Luca - it hasn't arrived! :?
Try again....?

Postby Luca » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:No I don't Luca - it hasn't arrived! :?
Try again....?

Should have gone to ...... No doubt my fault. Resent.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox