Register

Tortilla Española: Spanish Omelette ..

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tortilla Española: Spanish Omelette ..

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 am

Good Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

On the Iberian Peninsula, the humble Spanish potato omelette is revered like a priceless work of art .. Round, yellow, and resplendent, it is worshipped like a Sun God .. It is perhaps one of the most versatile and widely accepted dishes in Spanish Cuisine.

It can be eaten hot, cold, room temperature, while sitting down at a table or standing up at a bar, in a sandwich on the bus or train or as part of a picnic ..

Recipe for La Tortilla Española, The Spanish Omelette:

350 - 400 Grams of potatoes
345 Ml. Spanish Bio Evoo
Salt to taste
6 or 8 extra large eggs

1) Peel and rinse the potatoes and then slice finely and pat with a dry kitchen cloth.
2) Heat the oil in a deep skillet .. And add the potato slices, and fry on a medium heat, with a lid on for 25 to 30 minutes.
3) The potato slices should be tender but not brown or mushy.
4) When the potato slices are are cooked, remove from the pan and drain the Evoo.
5) Add salt to taste to the potatoes.
6) Beat the eggs lightly, just enough to mix the whites and yolks, and add salt to taste.
7) Combine the potatoes in the egg mixture.
8) Heat some Evoo, just enough to cover the skillet base, and add the egg & potato mixture, shaking the pan to avoid sticking. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until "set".
9) Cover the skillet with a wide plate or lid, and then holding it firmly, with the flat of your hand, turn the pan up-side down and slide the omelette from the plate to the skillet and cook another 3 to 5 minutes or until set and done ( lightly Golden ).
*** We do not like runny interiors, so if you wish a runny interior, cook for less time ( approx. 2 minutes per side)
10) Transfer to a large platter and serve in hefty triangles ..

Serve with rustic country bread, like a Chapata or Baguette and a glass of wine of choice or beer ..

Enjoy and have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave

Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Tortilla Española: Spanish Omelette ..

Postby Renee » Sun May 27, 2018 11:28 am

Your Tortilla Española looks so good, Member 461 and I hadn't realised that it could be eaten cold, which would be nice with salad. I have made this in the past, although many years ago now! I will make it, but will think up a version using much less oil in the early stages!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Ha! That's a stunning omelette.
I often make one for a buffet, if I'm required to take a plate or 2.

Why 345ml of oil, Member 461. Seems very exact, so I'm curious.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 27, 2018 1:44 pm

I buy some just like that in Costco - and very good they are too. Tesco also sells them but they're much more expensive.

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Absolutely exceptionally amazingly delicious ..

I love mine hot .. However, I too enjoy a slice of room temperature Spanish Omelette at a bar or in a Chapata or Baguette with lettuce and tomato for a lunch on the run ..

Thank you for all your feedback and have a lovely Sunday .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Gil, :wino

Wow. What a wonderful way to serve the revered Spanish Omelette ..

We would call these " Pintxos " ( Pinchos = on sticks or tooth picks ) ..

The recipe dates back generations, and the Evoo is drained from frying the potatoes .. ( For potatoes primarily ) .. The second stage, only on base of skillet to cook the egg mixture with the potatoes ..

Additionally, the size of my Omelette, as you can see from the thickness was made with 12 eggs ..

Delicious ..

Thank you and have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Pampy, :crossed :crossed

Thank you for your feedback ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby mark111757 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:35 am

I am curious about the amount of oil. If my math is any good, that is around a cup and a quarter. Seems like a lot of oil for that amount of taters.

What size of pan did you use to make the on with 12 eggs. For 12 eggs would you dbl the amount of taters???

Thank you....

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 28, 2018 8:54 am

Mark, Good Morning, :wave

To answer your questions:

1) I increased the amount of potatoes to 650 grams approximately - 700 grams. ( Did not weigh ) ..

2) Skillet size: 22cm - 24cm ..

3) Evoo: The potatoes are covered in the Evoo, not quite deep fried, but sautéed until tender. The Evoo is drained from the potatoes thoroughly in a colander.

4) Then the potatoes are patted dry .. And placed in a glass bowl with the lightly beaten eggs.

5) The base of the skillet is just covered lightly with a little bit of the drained Evoo ..

6) The interior of my Spanish Omelette in this photograph, in texture, is like a "sponge cake" with a lovely blend of egg and potato, neither over powering.

Have a nice day .. :wave

Thank you for your interest ..

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 am

My question wasn't referring to how much oil is used. I never have a problem with that, especially olive oil in a pan in Spain.
It was the rather specific 345ml.

I see that amount in a baker's bread recipe. As the percentages are vital - they use spreadsheets and mathematic workings.

So I wondered why it's required for you to be so precise in a tortilla one?
As I've never seen it before.
345 is an odd number to have to measure out, if we are to follow a given recipe, although I reckon everyone here cooks and bakes extremely well.

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Gill, :wave :wave

Firstly, I am not that precise when I have followed a great grandmom´s, grandmom´s or mom´s or mom in law´s or daughter in law´s récipe .. The recipe was given to me, and I followed it and certainly have mastered the art of preparing Spanish Omelettes.

Our family omelettes are also quite a bit higher and have more depth than standard bar size which is a little flatter and larger in width ..

No other reasoning here .. I always use less salt, less Evoo and do not use any industrial White sugar ..

With this in mind, I am conveying the basic authentic and traditional recipe to a successful Tortilla Española, nothing more ..

Have a nice day .. :wave :wave

Postby Luca » Mon May 28, 2018 1:30 pm

I love Spanish omelette. Definitely on the menu next week. It's such a convenient thing to have in the fridge too. I remember having a wonderful one at the Puente Romano on honeymoon. Part of a superb collection of tapas.

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Luca, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, I enjoy it too ..

I like it the next day too in a Chapata or Baguette ..

Pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your trip to Spain ..

Thanks for the feedback too ..

Have a nice day .. :wave :wave

Postby mark111757 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Member 461

Thank you for the answers to my questions. I feel like I am channeling Delia smith.

Looks great. Bet it tastes like WOW!!!!!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 28, 2018 5:33 pm

I definitely prefer Spanish Tortilla when the potatoes have been sliced (food of the Gods!). I've had it a couple of times when the restaurant have put their leftover mashed potatoes in it. The resulting texture is all wrong in my view.

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Strictly Clare, :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Sorry to hear about mashed potatoes being used in a Spanish Omelette but I was born and raised in Barcelona and have travelled all over the Iberian Peninsula and have never seen mashed potatoes in a Tortilla Española .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

As a matter of fact, mashed potatoes are not a Spanish form of preparing potatoes ..

So, where ever you were or visited, do not know their .... from their elbows ! :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 29, 2018 12:23 pm

I just remembered that a friend of mine, a frequent visitor to Barcelona, once told me of a glorious variation on the classic Spanish Omelette. Instead of potatoes, they used courgettes.
Ever seen/heard of that one, Member 461? It´d be great to find a recipe.

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Karakoolaide, :thumbsup

There are un-countable variations on the Spanish Omelette both traditional and modern ..

Yes, I have seen Zucchine or Courgette at a variety of Modern Bars & Bistros ..

I make a Green asparagus occasionally and come Autumn, Boletus without potatoes ..

I would follow the Tortilla Campera ( Country Omelette ) Recipe, and do remember, Zucchine has a tremendous amount of its own liquid in them ..
Just add or subtract according to your tastes:

Serves 4:

2 large Courgettes 410 grams
2 Aubergines 410 grams
Evoo
2 garlic cloves minced
1 large red bell pep 200 grams
Salt to taste
2 large red tomatoes 250 grams ( peeled & de-seeded and minced )
freshly ground black pepper
6 eggs
2 tablespoons of cream
Potatoes ( optional )

I believe you could manage from here to create a "Country" or just a Zucchine .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have fun ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox