Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Meganthemog » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Huge guinea fowl fan here, both the flavour & the size are convenient, never tried it with a morel sauce, sounds good

Did you use dried morels?

Yes - I ordered them from souschef.co.uk as i couldn't find them locally.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:36 pm

I expect I might be able to get them in Borough Market; in spring you can even get fresh morels there, cooking them is an act of faith as they smell nasty when you open the bag. My mother used to say they smelled like bleach, which isn't quite right, but it's in that direction. The smell disappears as soon as they are subjected to any heat

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:42 pm

Yesterday was pork steaks in a mushroom and mustard sauce with tender stem broccoli and roasted gnocchi . Went well and hadn’t had roasted gnocchi in ages.

Tonight was a simple ham and cheese salad with toasted pitta croutons .

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:52 am

Oh guinea fowl how lovely. I'm a big fan but not been able to get one for a while.
Amy I'd definitely try the halloumi fajitas they were gorgeous. I made them last night and will definitely be cooking them again. I baked the halloumi before adding it to the veg mix.
IMG_20210823_204349[11578].jpg
Halloumi fajitas
IMG_20210823_204349[11578].jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

Tandoori spiced chicken legs with red lentil dal, naan and rice for dinner tonight.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:28 pm

Hello all

Haven't posted for a bit as I ate something on Friday and couldn't eat most of the weekend. For lunch yesterday I made a salad that had beetroot and feta in it. Dinner Gypsy Eggs (tomato sauce made with onions and chorizo, then eggs cracked in and baked). I had leftovers for breakfast. OH has requested Sicilian sausage stew for dinner which we'll have with broccolli.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:00 pm

I am half way through making roast tomatillo salsa verde.

I plan to make a rhubarb crumble with rhubarb frozen earlier in the year. (In need room in the freezer for tomatoes. Not a lot but some!)

I have also got Derbyshire oatcakes out of the freezer. I think OH might be having those, possibly with creamed spinach (there's a bit bag of spinach taking up a lot of room too). Although I'll have to make it for him... I shall have the final portion of the garden courgette, tomato and aubergine thing I made the other night in some form or other, with cheese.

Lunch was just a bowl of purple French beans. Delicious, but I am still hungry.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:01 pm

herbidacious wrote:I am half way through making roast tomatillo salsa verde.

Are you using this recipe?
https://www.loveandlemons.com/tomatillo-salsa-verde/

Postby herbidacious » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Sort of. Not properly. I have various recipes open. I have only got as far as grilling things (in the British sense. I only just twigged that by grilling, Americans mean in a grill pan/over flames...) . I haven't roasted the onion. I might do later on. I didn't wrap the garlic...

Will finish making it later.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:38 am

Good cooking going on!

Big guinea fowl fans here too!

For cooked salsas, easiest to lightly oil husked tomatillos or tomatoes, peeled garlic, onion chunks, stemmed green chiles and toss Mex style onto a fire grill or in a very hot open pan or on a plancha or griddle/grill until seared and blistered in spots before blitzing etc. Quicker, easier, tastier, too imo. Oven roasting is a pain tbh. 8-)
Cooked Tomatillo Salsa (I often use less stock/liquid)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epucsozcrfmws ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Had tofu and baby bok choy to use. Menu was Fuchsia Dunlop's Home Style tofu and “Crossing-the-river” Choy Sum (veg steamed served with a dipping sauce) with plain rice.

Postby Suffs » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:51 am

Yesterday's supper was jerked beef flank ... I had bought it ready marinated thinking it was short ribs but no bone and fabulous flavour ... bargain.

I put it in the slow cooker and just left it chuntering slowly all day, no liquid, nothing added at all.

I made traditional 'rice 'n' peas' to go with it ... rice and onions cooked in half and half coconut milk and water, with fresh thyme, ground mace and some pre-cooked pinto beans. The meat juices from the slow cooker were spooned over the top of the shredded beef. Delicious.

Postby liketocook » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:01 pm

All sounding good everyone. :yum
Glad your tummy has recovered Rocky.
I had the slow cooker on yesterday too suffs. Four pork cheeks were browned and popped in my baby 1-5L slow cooker with onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, Chinese five spice. Szechuan peppercorns and a splash of soy sauce and left to chunter away until the meat was tender. I removed the meat and strained the cooking juices then popped them in the fridge. Today I'll shred the meat and mix with the juices, hoisin sauce and honey then cook until it becomes sticky before stirring through some cashews and spring onions. We'll have it with vegetable fried rice using the extra rice cooked yesterday to have with the chicken and dal. .

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:22 pm

Those sound absolutely delicious both Suffs and LTC! Yum. We left our slow cooker in BVI as it was the wrong voltage for here and we have decided not to buy one until we move in to our new house but I miss it.

I've made egg mayo which I am currently very fond of. Might make it a salad. We are out for dinner with a friend. He has recently become vegetarian so we have chosen somewhere that has lots of small plates (mostly vegetarian) that we can share.

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:56 am

Oh I do like egg mayo Rocky. :yum
Easy one for us tonight of pasta with pesto, tomato sauce and chorizio.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Last night i made a dish of spinach and black beans - there's a dish of the big green lentils with spinach that recurs in various cuisines with different seasonings, and also a rather palin Claudia Roden dish of blacke eyed beans with spiach

So I made a "curry" - an onion, loads of garlic, fresh ginger, a green chilli, some black pepper, turmeric. salt, ghee 2 bunches of lovely fresh spinach a load of cooked beans

I ate it with chapattis and chutneys from jars; tonight part deux will be with rice and a little tomato and onion salad for something fresh, yogurt would be nice but still can't cope with soured milk

Postby Amyw » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Funnily enough I’ve a tin of black beans in my cupboard I was wondering what to do with and I do love a vegetable curry . Thanks Sue

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:33 pm

That sounds delicious Sue.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Amyw wrote:Funnily enough I’ve a tin of black beans in my cupboard I was wondering what to do with and I do love a vegetable curry . Thanks Sue

I used black eyed beans/peas not black beans, very different

I have a pack of black [turtle] beans, they seem to be all skin and no flavour, not sure what to do with them

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:10 pm

I tend to cook the black seeds from French beans, at least the excess I don't want to sow the following year. In this house they're used as black beans for 'a chilli', or refried beans or as a salsa; soaked & boiled with seasonings as for refried beans then drained and added to tomato/tomatillo, coriander, onion, salt & chilli. There's a lot of other flavours involved and the beans for refrying can be liquidised if the skin texture is annoying.

A staple of bird observatory cookery (for me at least) is a 3-, 4- or 5-bean chilli, which usually involves turtle beans, maybe black-eyed beans, pinto beans, aduki or whatever was to hand when the dry stores were checked or the shopping was done. :D

Apart from that use I love black-eyed beans with mushrooms, a classic Indian combination, and like you, those Middle Eastern recipes with spinach or chard (and doubtless other local greens) too. I'm sure there must be Cajun/Southern US recipes too as the first I heard of them was as Black-eyed peas from some US TV show, decades before the band became famous. They probably cook them with ham bones or sausage or offal, I'd imagine. :yum

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:34 pm

DS2 mixes black beans with pinto beans when he makes refried beans.
As BM said chilli is good, I like a butternut squash & black bean one which uses roasted cubes of squash and cooked black beans in a standard chilli mix.

Postby Amyw » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:42 pm

Ah crossed wires ! Yes a chilli does sound good and I’m sure someone , possibly EM posted a black bean burger recipe somewhere

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox