Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

Postby mistakened » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Happy Anniversary BB, that sounds a wonderful Chinese Hot Pot and other dishes.

We have had a nice surprise, our Electricity Bill, it was lower than we thought that it would be. I know that sounds odd but there has been a 38% hike in electricity prices here. We did have A/C turned on when it was very hot but only in rooms that we were sitting/ working in or to cool the bedrooms at night. The kitchen is east facing so no afternoon sun
There is no alternative electricity supplier,

Moira

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Fiskars are great :thumbsup My kitchen scissors are Fiskars and I must have had them at least 20 years, probably nearer 30.

Love the sound of your bagel, Sue :yum

Moira - that's a rare experience :D

Enjoy your feast, BB :birthday-dancer

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:48 pm

Happy Anniversary Busybees. Enjoy your meal. :wino

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:10 pm

That sounds fabUlous BB. Deep envy here.
Enjoy.

I've diced all my veg for supper and am debating between a tagine or a curry. Hub is having a ready curry. Needs must at times.
Tagine it is.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Happy anniversary, bb!

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:37 pm

Good evening.

BB, happy anniversary. The Chinese meal sounds ace. I managed to fill up the car at the Clifton Moor Tesco on Thursday. I had no idea about the shortage at the time but my red light was on so needs must. Should be ok for a little while. OH queued up for diesel in Harrogate today. He was ok but no unleaded petrol apparently. We are down south next weekend, babysitting for DD, so should get us there and back. After that, no idea.

Herbi, did you manage to get any petrol in the end?

Sloe-Gin, so happy for your news re OH. :wino

OH is glued to the golf on tv at the moment. Might be an early night for me.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:15 am

No, WG. The traffic was getting gridlocked round here when we went for a walk at lunch time and googling around people are reporting very long queues at all the local petrol stations.

Right now there is a seriously big helicopter circling low outside. Very oppressive and rather disturbing (psychologically). Can't help wondering if it's related. It seems much larger than the normal police ones. I'd really like to go to bed, but it's far too loud.

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:24 am

Thanks SG and SS. I have one of those random jobs that I’ve always said is hard to describe what you do to your mum day to day (and in fact got my job as a result of agreeing such with now boss). But basically strategic reputation stuff. People link Kaz and Borat. But Kaz rid itself of nuclear detritus within a few years of independence from the Soviet Union and now drives the non proliferation agenda

I’ve had a brilliant day. OH and I went to TKMaxx at Kew Retail Park as I was worried about having a coat for Kaz. I now have 2. Then he left and I wandered up Chiswick high road and found a few jumpers in charity shops. Had a lovely long Skype with my my mum and cauli cheese for dinner

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:26 am

herbidacious wrote:
Right now there is a seriously big helicopter circling low outside. Very oppressive and rather disturbing (psychologically). Can't help wondering if it's related. It seems much larger than the normal police ones. I'd really like to go to bed, but it's far too loud.

That is something we really don’t miss here. When we were in Bromley it happened all the time. Hope they go away soon.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:33 am

This is more sustained and louder than usual. It's been going on for about an hour now.

It's been a bit of a baptism of fire, noisewise, today after the near silence of Normandy :(

Postby aero280 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:38 am

Just back from a day in Littlehampton. There were petrol queues on the way down that stretched back onto the inside lane of the dual carriageways...

Son and DiL came down from the Midlands, stopped for a coffee at Beaconsfield services on the M40 and it took them 25 mins to get out of the carpark. No petrol bought...

On the way home this evening, a lot of places were completely closed, but the filling stations that were open only had short queues.

One person we met said that when he bought fuel the garage had a man walking down the queue and inspecting fuel gauges and refusing to allow anyone with more than half a tank to buy fuel and telling them to leave the queue. Seemed like a good idea.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:51 am

Friends have just left, we are relaxing with a whisky.
Haven't used either car today so no attempt to buy fuel.
Maybe we might need to fill J's car in the next week, once the idiots have moved on.
I'm probably OK for 2 more weeks.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:59 am

Woo. Finally gone. Thank goodness. I wonder if we will find out what it was about. Probably not. Glad it's not a work night.

Postby mistakened » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 am

Good Morning Campers, no petrol/diesel shortage in Cyprus. Some of the problems may be the size of the fuel tanks. The Nissan Juke had a small tank, we were forever filling it up.

Moira :mug:

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 am

Morning all. Looks like it's going to be a nice day. Had a cracker of a sleep although the recurring dream was that I was at a concert and couldn't find my daughter at the end so was worried she'd been abducted. As she is 38 and an ex-Met Police Officer this is unlikely - the boot is more likely to be on the other foot! :oops:

The helicopter wasn't up for Fuel-related traffic problems was it Herbi? There's been a lot of "civil unrest". :roll: :roll: I hope the Daily Mail and its ilk are pleased with themselves.

Nice evening's viewing last night. Thought Elton John's short set was fabulous, as was Kylie's but later on Ed Sheeran blew me out of the water. How we have missed live performances! I often give Strictly a complete miss but I am invested in quite a few of them this year and enjoyed it hugely. Loved Anton as a judge! I think it's going to be a good series and I shall watch it all, even if OH hates it. Much fuss over the same sex couple but John Whaite and his partner nailed it.

We're off for lunch with DS1 and I have to change the dressing on my "procedure" - don't you love a good euphamism? :lol: See you later.

Postby icelesley » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 am

Good Morning campers. There doesn't appear to be fuel queues here, I filled up, I was the only one on the pumps. I put all the panic buying of food and fuel down to the stupid media that build it up because there is nothing else worth reporting. If they kept quiet there wouldn't be a massive problem. :twisted:

Postby RockyBVI » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 am

PP - I had a cracker of a sleep too. As I’m generally a terrible sleeper I’m delighted. I’ve had a very lazy morning so far. The moggie and I have been snuggling on the sofa reading the news (why I don’t know!). As it’s a nice day I think I’ll head out for a run now to test my calf and see how I get on.

OH is due back mid morning so I’ll see what he fancies doing.

Aero - that’s interesting Re Littlehampton. My SiL lives down that way and is struggling to find petrol. As she is a GP she’s a bit worried. On GPs, I think all of the really awful press on accessing GPs is having a horrible effect on many. SiL says she’s never worked so hard but is so demoralized at the vitriol aimed at the profession.

Herbi - I hope you got some sleep after the helicopter departed!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:01 am

Is it a BVI moggie Rocky?

Postby herbidacious » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:26 am

Morning

Some sunshine trying to break through the mask of white. Lots of bird song. So far have put one washing load on (getting there...) and put away some of the French food. I will have to get creative to put away the rest.

Pepper Pig wrote:
The helicopter wasn't up for Fuel-related traffic problems was it Herbi? There's been a lot of "civil unrest". :roll: :roll:

Well that's what I wondered.
It's not uncommon to have helicopters like this but this looked like a really big, long one and I wondered if it were army :o probably not.

I am getting really nervous about the coming week. Not sure whether to try to distract myself or sneak a peak at the interview stuff - looking could help or do the opposite. I do have all of tomorrow. Of course this is also 'into the office week'.

I could do to harvest some chillies and do some deadheading. I ought to cook... There will be peppers and aubergines to pick plus French beans which probably need shelling now. I don't really feel like doing anything so 15 minute rule, I suppose.

My laptop is getting very hot which probably means lots of cat hair clogging up the fan. Does anyone ever clean their laptop fans themselves? (Conceivably no one else has this problem though ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:37 am

You need the PlaneFinder app Herbi. It would have told you exactly what it was!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox