Register

General Wellbeing

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: General Wellbeing

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 21, 2021 10:00 am

We had a broken drain outside the lab at w***. A Cape gooseberry grew from it in a sheltered spot between the building and perimeter wall. It fruited and the fruit ripened. I was the only one willing to try the fruit. Delicious.

The various cell membranes in a plant root and stem should be an effective filter against many microorganisms. There shouldn't be a significant problem with any produce that grows well above the ground or is cooked. However there must be a risk from low growing salad crops that might be splashed with contaminated soil. I also read somewhere once that watercress could harbour liver flukes, though that has never stopped me eating watercress.

It's a 'hungry gap' as far as British-grown garlic is concerned, last year's crop has sprouted or gone soft, this one isn't yet ready. The gap will be less in more Southerly countries, but presumably we would have to import from tropical or Southern Hemisphere countries to get bulb garlic all year round.

Postby aero280 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:05 am

Forty years ago, when I was working “in sewage” they had a big fleet of tankers that went out to spread digested sludge on fields. It was a disposal method that was relied on to the extent that we owned farms that could be used for the disposal in wet weather when the fields in “real farms” were too wet to drive over without damage. Some dried sludge was stockpiled at farms for the farmers to spread themselves.

The practice ceased on agricultural land because of the risk of spreading beef tapeworm via grazing, and also the presence of heavy metals getting into the food chain.

“Raw” undigested sludge was never sent off-site.

Once the field spreading was stopped on farms, there was a period when it was spread on non agricultural land, like motorway embankments and the like, but that was stopped because environmentalists lobbied about the levels of pesticides and disinfectant being taken up by wild animals.

When I left that side of the industry, they were just starting on incineration, but that had objectors too.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 21, 2021 1:31 pm

A good friend of mine, a contemporary on the chemistry course, also went 'into sewage'. I remember him saying years ago that the issue with sewage as a fertiliser was heavy metal contamination. You ought to be able to tell by the colour - the stuff with the heavy metal would be Deep Purple.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 21, 2021 5:22 pm

the stuff with the heavy metal would be Deep Purple

I'm trying to say something witty about smoke on the water, and failing.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 21, 2021 7:14 pm

:D

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 22, 2021 5:40 am

The things you learn on this board!

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:00 pm

If you haven't already seen this/ done anything about it/ and want to, we've got until June 23 to do something about it!

https://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt- ... AJ,U251F,1

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:57 pm

Oh dear, me again on this thread :oops: :lol:

Just wanted to share this article from the New York Times that would suggest that a brisk 40 min walk three times a week can make a big difference to your brain's "white matter" as a pose to your "gray cells".

https://nyti.ms/3xUEMIQ

I hope you can access it despite the pay wall.

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:12 pm

No, I couldn't access it KC2, but Dr Michael Mosley said this recently:

"During this documentary, I committed to three lots of 20-second high intensity workouts on an exercise bike, three times a week. During this time my insulin sensitivity improved by 24%. Michael Mosley".

I am going to start doing this now that the weather has cooled down somewhat.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:00 am

Husband has just received a text from the Drs. offering a free shingles vaccine as he is now over 70. Anyone here had the same. Apparently not offered to the over 80's as it's not effective to that age group ?

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 am

Looking forward to getting mine next year ... go for it ... Shingles is horrid.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:20 am

It’s part of the relatively new vaccine schedule for older people, pneumococcus (PPV) for a major form of pneumonia at 65 then shingles at 70

I will definitely grab the shingles, my grandfather had shingles in his 80s and it was debilitating. It’s not just local pain, though that’s bad enough, most people actually feel ill. I had it very mildly in my 20s and was slightly nauseous for a month

Full info

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/

Postby Linnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:24 am

My mother had shingles in her 80's, my father-in-law was in his 70's when he had it and suffered from nerve damage for the rest of his life - he died at 94. Avoid if at all possible, I had the jab as soon as I was eligible.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks folks, unusually for him, he has decided to take up the offer, so it will be booked later today. Done ! He is having it this coming Thursday

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Glad to hear it ... I knew someone who lost the sight in an eye and suffered horrendous pain for the rest of her life due to shingles.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:48 pm

I had the shingles jab in one arm and the flu in the other!

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:25 pm

Common sense prevails..... I had shingles about 10 years ago and was extremely uncomfortable for about 2 weeks. The cost for a shingles vax is over £200.

Very many thanks for all your comments peeps.

Postby aero280 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Well, after this weekend with the family, I’m being told that I need hearing aids! :(

Any advice on what’s best? I hear that NHS ones are “OK”, but if private ones are vastly better, OH has suggested spending some of the kids inheritance on me.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Those who already have them will offer the best advice but I learnt a bit when dealing with late MIL. This, of course, is over and above choosing the type you like for other reasons but worth consideration.

Her (privately bought) aids were expected to last 4 years max. After that they were treated rather like one would be treated with a 4 year old mobile phone (ie. they expect you to buy more but you might be able to muddle through for longer). Thus if you have to sell the family silver to buy them, you might find you had to sell the jewels as well in a few years time to get more, especially if you live to a ripe old age.

NHS customers used to get free batteries - do they still? Some private suppliers now supply a 'lifetime' supply in their deal but this can be a set amount over what they deem the lifetime of the aids to be which sometimes conflicts with reality. It's worth checking the deal with batteries whether private or NHS because it makes a cost difference in the long run.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Why not start with NHS? You can then go private if they don’t work out, but I think even NHS have vastly improved

And personally I’d want the details of an independent NHS assessment of my hearing, don’t forget that private audiology clinics are selling you something expensive, like car salesmen or double glazing reps

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff