Register

General Wellbeing

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: General Wellbeing

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:24 pm

I have NHS hearing aids and am more than happy with them. Unless there's a clinical need, you'll get the ones with plastic tubes that fit into the ear canal. I was quite concerned about that but you get used to them very quickly and now, I often forget to take them out at night because I've forgotten that I'm wearing them. Both the tubes, cleaners and batteries are provided free by my NHS trust. They took on a later version of the hearing aid that I have so I got that free of charge. I'd definitely try the NHS ones first.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:12 pm

aero280 wrote:Well, after this weekend with the family, I’m being told that I need hearing aids! :(

Any advice on what’s best? I hear that NHS ones are “OK”, but if private ones are vastly better, OH has suggested spending some of the kids inheritance on me.

You could always try the NHS ones out first ... I am on my second generation ones ... they talk to each other ;)

Personally I couldn't justify the cost of private ones ones. My sister did it the other way round, first of all getting the tiny little 'invisible' ones, that gave her continuing ear infections. She now has NHS ones. I have a friend who has private ones that cost her a fortune that look exactly like my NHS ones .. :? :? :?

Meant to add that NHS ones come with FOC batteries ... private ones don't and their batteries (seemingly) have a shorter life ...

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Seems like I am repeating the same as other's experience ... I presume you would be referred to MV Hearing Centre , so may see you there sometime ;)

Postby halfateabag » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:42 pm

So glad I have my 'new ears', NHS ones and they are good, comfy and make life so much more enjoyable. I have just applied for more batteries and some extra domes, that's the soft plastic bit that sits in the ear canal.

Slight downside, the cicadas in Rhodes last month were deafening..... Did not wear them for 2 weeks - Peace and quiet !

Postby dennispc » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:29 am

aero280, I agree with others that have posted.

If you had already done so, I’d suggest asking a surgery nurse to check it’s not wax though book a hearing test now as it may take a little time to get one.

We are entitled to a NHS hearing test every three years. I’m on a waiting list for December.

Our surgery no longer does ear wax removal, if they do it’s through the hot water method, irrigation. It works, for me more irritating than painful.

Specsavers et al, do suction which is to be preferred I think, though can cause the ear drum to expand.

Ex nurse who syringed my ears at home this year advised to be careful of the tiny private ones on the market, she’s had to dig out two that had gone into the ear canal.

Hearing aids aren’t perfect, but the alternative isn’t much fun either.

Postby aero280 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 am

Thanks, everyone!

I will be ringing the Health Centre. They have an “online consult” facility, which turned out to be useless. Searching for “hearing” or “deaf” produced no results! :roll: :roll:

Postby Suffs » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Aero ... did you try 'audiology'?

Postby aero280 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:51 pm

I have now! :roll: :roll:

Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 17.39.40.png
Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 17.39.40.png (28.87 KiB) Viewed 5830 times

But the Health Centre have just phoned to rearrange my annual heart check, so I took the opportunity to ask about deafness. I have an appointment with a doctor...

...my only reservation is that the practice have arranged it as a phone appointment. So I should easily get into the system by just saying "Sorry, I didn't catch that. Please say it again louder" :D

Postby Suffs » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 pm

:lol:

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:48 pm

The minus points of living in a small place
- 14 mile round trip to the terrific fishmonger
- 8 mile round trip to the farmshop.
(Supermarkets are nearer)

The plus points
Last year we were out walking on a Sunday morning, encountered the local pharmacist walking his dog.
He reminded us we hadn't been for a flu jab.....
He called in at a pal's house on his way home and vaccinated them.
A shopkeeper just up the road from the pharmacy kept promising to go in, in the end he wandered down the street, syringe in hand, leaned over the counter and jabbed her.

I tried to phone the pharmacy several times this morning to book our flu jabs but couldn't get through.
Popped in about 1.30 today, on our way back from a walk and was given an appointment for 3.30 today.
Ideal.

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:38 pm

A lovely story WWordsworth!

I had to laugh at the shopkeeper getting jabbed! :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:48 pm

I agree, KC2. I am surprised that the choice to wear masks and to social distance has been left up to personal choice so widely. I don't see that it really takes liberty away too badly to request it in indoor public spaces and hopefully might help a bit.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:45 am

OH said that while we were away a colleague was confronted by a non-mask wearing customer demanding to know why he was wearing a mask

"Don't you know that it's been proved that masks prevent 80% of oxygen getting to your brain? "

(I would've replied 'so you've been wearing yours a long time then?' ;) ).

He went on to explain that there was a cure for AIDS but the man who invented it was politically assassinated .... and there's a cure for all types of cancer too but that scientist has also been killed off by 'governments'.

It was the last that was the last straw ... OH''s colleague has a young daughter who has Hodgkin's Lymphoma and is having a grim time .... the colleague is a former soldier who's done two tours of Afghanistan, one in Iraq and several in NI. The customer was ushered firmly from the shop and told not to return without a mask.

Believe it or not he came back later, wearing a mask, and bought something. Just an attention-seeking idiot then :roll: :twisted:

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Oh they're out there - in shed loads !!!!
Don't get me started................

Good on that ex soldier - much more of that is needed

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:17 pm

Suffs wrote:Believe it or not he came back later, wearing a mask, and bought something.

:? unbelievable!!

Previous

Return to Other Stuff