Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Book Club

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:24 am

I am about to embark on these. https://www.lowplexbooks.com/products/k ... xUQAvD_BwE

My BF says I will love them and that’s good enough for me. She was a Deputy Head in a huge school in Milton Keynes for many years and says Ken Follett used to come in and do talks a lot and he was amazing with the kids.

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:16 pm

i'm working my way through the flavia albia books (sort of sequels to the falco novels of lindsey davis) not highbrow but good escapism.

Postby Kacey » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:12 pm

I absolutely loved Pillars of the Earth, I have the other two still to read but its been more than 20yrs since I read Pillars and have a feeling I could do with re-reading before I start them ..... and its such a big book!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:05 pm

I thought I had posted on here - apologies if it was somewhere else by mistake. My holiday reading was Helen Macdonald's Vesper Flights. Brilliant writer. I am finding The Betrayals a bit predicatable, so alas ending up not reading at all, but will persevere.
Next up is Mrs Death Misses Death.

I couldn't get into The Chalk Man when I tried it a while back, but a friend loves it. I should give it another go.

I read for about an hour in bed most nights. I look forward to it. I rarely read apart from this, though, unless it's on a journey.

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:46 am

herbidacious wrote: read for about an hour in bed most nights. I look forward to it. I rarely read apart from this, though, unless it's on a journey.

snap - plus a few minutes which puts me back to sleep if i wake up in the night.

Postby Busybee » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 am

scullion wrote:
herbidacious wrote: read for about an hour in bed most nights. I look forward to it. I rarely read apart from this, though, unless it's on a journey.

snap - plus a few minutes which puts me back to sleep if i wake up in the night.

Me too, I can not sleep if I haven’t read, even if it’s just for a few minutes. I love reading on a kindle, so that if I do wake up I don’t bother OH by putting on a bed side light to read.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am

Odd
I have never read in bed unless ill, apart from briefly as a child when sent to bed long before I was sleepy
Might be partly eyesight, as there’s never been a comfortable position for me to sit holding the book the right distance from my eyes with enough light on it, but then I don’t see the pleasure of breakfast in bed or even morning tea/coffee tea. Yuk.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:53 am

Love reading in bed. We have the bendy IKEA spotlights attached to each side of the bed so we can angle light at a book if the other wants to go to sleep straight away.

I’m just starting the Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher with eldest. It’s a bit early but it’ll take her/us a while to get through it so I don’t mind starting it now.

I’m also reading The Heights by Louise Candlish about a woman’s revenge on the boy who killed her son. It’s so-so but I’m waiting for the big twist which I feel is coming.

Postby Pampy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Another bed-reader here - I couldn't go to sleep if I haven't had a good read.

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:23 pm

Busybee wrote:Me too, I can not sleep if I haven’t read, even if it’s just for a few minutes. I love reading on a kindle, so that if I do wake up I don’t bother OH by putting on a bed side light to read.

BB

that's what i do, too.
OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I’m just starting the Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher with eldest.

have you read 'the christmas mystery' by josteen garder? ( i think i may have mentioned it to you before) my kids used to like it read every year when they were little. our daughter took it with her to read to her boyfriend (now husband).

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:54 am

scullion wrote:have you read 'the christmas mystery' by josteen garder? ( i think i may have mentioned it to you before) my kids used to like it read every year when they were little. our daughter took it with her to read to her boyfriend (now husband).

You did and yes we bought it on your recommendation! We have a few books which we like to read in the run up to Christmas and it’s a great addition to those. I love all those little traditions in the run up.

I will probably get the Christmas cook books out in the next week or so to see what we might like to cook/bake over the coming weeks.

Postby Amber » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 am

Has anyone else heard of Mr Bs Emporium?

We were each given a short subscription last year. Both were very good. And it was lovely waiting for the next book to arrive :) :) .

That sounds very wrong grammatically, but I’m too tired to correct it, sorry!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:35 am

I did a thing with my local bookshop where they sent me a book (that they chose) every month, often signed. Is it that sort of deal?

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:42 pm

Helen Macdonald is on BBC2 tonight at 9pm talking about wildlife around the m25.

Postby Amber » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:10 am

Similar, but we had to complete a short questionnaire about our likes and dislikes. We, even my non-reading DH, were impressed with the results. Although I do think they may be slightly more geared towards fiction? Beautiful packaging too.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:22 pm

I've recently read Magpie by Elizabeth Day (I liked it, and I didn't guess the ending) and Exit by Belinda Bauer. The latter reminded me of the Thursday Murder Club, an easy and quite amusing read.

I'm just starting Delicacy by Katy Wix - a memoire about cake and death. I have read a couple of reviews raving about it so I hope it lives up to them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delicacy-memoi ... 1472261194

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:51 am

I couldn't get on with Mrs Death (not what I was expecting or wanting) so am reading Rose Tremain's Islands of Mercy. So far so good.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Something to make you chuckle (for a change!)
Attachments
HaHa.jpeg
HaHa.jpeg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 3694 times

Postby liketocook » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:26 pm

Lol KC2, Scottish Literature - You will die for Scotland. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Rainbow » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 am

Good one, KC2 :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff