Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

What are you reading at the moment?

Postby smitch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:25 am

Sakkarin gave the go ahead for a book thread where we can discuss what we're reading, what we've enjoyed and books we really didn't like. I'm trying to read more rather than watch tv or scroll social media before I go to bed.

At the moment, I'm reading The Dutch House by Ann Patchett https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44318414-the-dutch-house

I'm really enjoying it, not the type of book I'd normally read.

What are you reading at the moment?

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Postby Busybee » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:49 am

That sounds rather interesting Smitch.

Recent reads include The Beekeeper Of Aleppo, which was thought provoking and I really enjoyed.

I’m just starting The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I read his obituary and it sounded intriguing. Will let you know what I think after I’ve read it.

I’ve read lots of easy reading stuff in lockdown, Marian Keyes is a favourite along with Jane Fallon and Jojo Moyles.

BB

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 am

I hardly read fiction. It's a silly prejudice of mine, but I prefer to read about real life - biographies, history books, travel books..that sort of thing.

On my table currently is 'Akhenaten: Egypt's False Prophet' and 'Postcapitalism, A Guide to the Future' by Paul Mason. I am fascinated by Egyptian history, and the Amarna period is a particular favourite. I can recommend the book to anyone else who might be interested, it's very readable.

*some of the few fiction books I read are Agatha Christie's Poirot tales, and everything by JK Rowling, and usually when we're on holiday or laid up in bed poorly.

Postby mistakened » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Busybee wrote:I’m just starting The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

His best as far as I am concerned. I am surprised that it has not been filmed or made in a TV series

Postby smitch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 pm

I love Shadow of the Wind, hope you enjoy it!

Binky, my BA and MA are in Egyptology but it is only recently that I've been able to read books on the subject for interest as my studies put me off a bit! My main area of interest is the Rameside period but enjoy Armana stuff too.

Edited to add I really like Marian Keyes, I've got all her books!

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:33 pm

The Ramesside dynasty owed their place in history to the Amarna pharoahs (weren't they 19th dynasty after the Amarna 18th?)

I think Rameses was a general under Horemheb, and as Horemheb had no offspring, the throne went to Rameses.

I've read Shadow of the Wind too, at the urging of my mother who thought it was great. I have to say it made no impression on me and I can't recall the plot.

Re: Book Club

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm a reeeeaallly slow reader.
And tend to read old books and classics. I'm so slow, I re-read chapters, and go back a lot. It took me a year to read Lorna Doone on the tube to work in the mornings.
As such, I had Shadow of the Wind in Spanish, but it's taken me so long to get 1/4 of the way through, I've recently sold it on a book site.

I wish I hadn't now.

I've just finished Paying Guests, by EF Benson.
Based in the 1920's, but it could just as easily be about a modern boarding house.

Tony loves history books.

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:51 am

Gillthepainter wrote:'ve just finished Paying Guests, by EF Benson.
Based in the 1920's, but it could just as easily be about a modern boarding house.
I have read the Mapp & Lucia series but not that one

I like Marion Keyes, people tend to dismiss her at Chick Lit (horrible term. I hate it) but there is often a serious theme in background.

Moira

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:01 am

Yes that is what I like about Marian Keyes, there is always a serious side to her books.

I did reply to Binky about Armana and the Rameside period but it seems to have disappeared :(

I've got another book on the go at the moment, https://shop.historicenvironment.scot/where-are-the-women

It is like a guidebook to an imagined Scotland where women are equally represented in historical monuments and names. More one to dip in and out of than read in one go but I'm enjoying it. The author has some interesting content on her Twitter page too.

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:42 pm

So you've lost some too smitch? I blame that gillthepainter

Power has gorn to her head and she's deleted some posts.
<Binky scowls>

Back to books, I'm also reading (very slowly) "Colour: Travels Through the Paintbox" by Victoria Finlay. It's essentially about where the pigments come from, or came from in the days before synthetic paint materials. Something that gill would be interested to read.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm

That sounds fascinating ... we had a wonderful painting tutor who made sure we knew a bit about pigments ... and enough to grind and mix a few basic oil colours ... but thd history of paint and pigment is fascinating ... I might mention that to Father Christmas ... thanks :thumbsup

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Suffs, it is a perfect Xmas present. A weighty tome, quite expensive from memory, but a joy to read with every turn of the page.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:06 pm

I have a copy of Shadow of the Wind. It's on my to read list, as is The Dutch House.

I have just finished The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H. G. Parry. It was enjoyable. Not a literary book - I had no desire to take note of any sentences in it, and characterization could have been better, but a page turner. Before that I read The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alex E Harrow.

I just started a Claire North last night: The Pursuit of William Abbey

So yet more more fantastical stuff.

I seem to read a lot of books with titles of the 'The xxx of First name (and maybe) Surname' format...

I am the opposite of you, Binky. I am really not keen on (auto)biography. I've probably read three in my life cover, or more if one counts Quentin Crisp's things which I loved. My father loved biographies etc. I suppose I do read a lot of non-fiction for work as research, so it's not like I don't like or do it, but I don't really choose the subject matter. I own a great deal of non-fciton. Especially history and local history, which I dip into and refer to often, but never read cover to cover.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:06 pm

That does sound interesting, Binky.

As Does Where are the Women.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Binky wrote: I'm also reading (very slowly) "Colour: Travels Through the Paintbox" by Victoria Finlay. It's essentially about where the pigments come from, or came from in the days before synthetic paint materials..

i'm pretty sure this was a book of the week on radio 4 a few years ago. oops, just checked, no that was 'the secret lives of colour' - equally interesting.
i made a mental note to read it sometime - shame it may not be the sort of book to come into a charity shop!
ps. but i've just bought a copy of yours (cheaply) from abe.

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm

This is my copy, which I see from abebooks is selling at £111. Yikes!

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:58 pm

I'm finding it hard to lose myself in a book at the moment for one reason or another :?

I'm reading 'Alice Diamond and The Forty Elephants' by Brian McDonald - It's about Britain's first female crime syndicate in the early 1900's - mostly all femme fatales from South London who wanted a West End lifestyle - all brazen & totally fascinating.

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:03 pm

That sounds great LL! I'll have to look out for it.

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Do any of you read books about pursuits that you will never follow yourself?

I have read umpteen books about mountain climbing; the climbers all seem quite mad to me, risking life and limb, but the stories are uniformly hair-raising. Best one is 'Touching the Void' by Joe Simpson. Inspirational and a great read for anyone, not just outdoor enthusiasts.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Binky wrote:
Back to books, I'm also reading (very slowly) "Colour: Travels Through the Paintbox" by Victoria Finlay. It's essentially about where the pigments come from, or came from in the days before synthetic paint materials. Something that gill would be interested to read.

I used to be much more of a reader, but these days I just seem to always too tired to focus ... I do like modern detective thrillers, so Ian Rankin, Peter James etc. these days. I have just had a scan along my book cases and by far the majority of my books are about Health, Food, Exercise, Gardening and a couple of Bill Bryson too, in fact very eclectic.

Regarding the book about Colour, a few weeks ago I found myself watching a 4 parter on BBC4 about the origins of Colour in Historical Art ... So Blue, White and Gold were 3 of the 4, but can't remember the fourth (maybe Red ?) . I found it absolutely fascinating. At the moment, when I am awake in the wee small hours, I am watching Great Artists at 5.10 on Ch5 :yawn :yawn :yawn

I then remembered many years ago reading The Lady of Hay and for a long time thought that was the best book I had ever read. Then I got introduced to Kate Morton's books through the Richard and Judy's Book Club.

Next

Return to Other Stuff