Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Book Club

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:13 pm

Good one, not sure who they all are though!

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:19 pm

Shakespeare? Herbi reckons Dumas and Jack London and I think the Russian is Tolstoy, isn't it?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 pm

Shakespeare I got; thought about Dumas who definitely a bit of a chubby chops, but wasn't sure, a search turns up that picture as his portrait by William Powell; wouldn't have thought of Jack London at all but Google image turns up that picture :thumbsup , and my guess for the Russian was Dostoevsky, which Wiki agrees with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyodor_Dostoevsky

Phew!

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:47 pm

Ah, not Tolstoy :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Ah, not Tolstoy :lol:

I couldn't see him sitting on the station at Yasna Polanyi or writing about War & Peace

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby smitch » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:06 pm

I’ve just finished Midnight Library for the new book group I’ve joined. I really didn’t line it at all. Like others on here I thought it was a great concept but really flimsy and I got bored after a while. I also thought the ending was very predictable. At least it was an easy read and didn’t take long to get through.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 pm

I’m reading Cloud Cuckooland by Anthony Doerr. I love All the light we cannot see so I was really looking forward to this. I wasn’t sure about the sci fi parts of it, or the fact that it flits between eras constantly… but I’m about 2/3rds of the way through and I can’t put it down now.

I’m also dipping in and out of various festive books, both fiction and non fiction, when I’m lucky enough to have a quiet hour!

Postby scullion » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 am

i've just finished natalie haynes' 'pandora's jar - those ancient greek women got a really bad press (well, maybe not medea) - good read.
now i've escaped back to venice with my next (27th in the list) donna leon (inspector brunetti).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:09 pm

I was thinking of Pandora’s jar - I’ve listened to the talks she did around it for R4 and the British Museum and much enjoyed them, I remember a child’s book of stories from the classics with Hope looking like a cut price flower fairy, so Natalie’s take was a bit different

Postby herbidacious » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:44 pm

smitch wrote:I’ve just finished Midnight Library for the new book group I’ve joined. I really didn’t line it at all. Like others on here I thought it was a great concept but really flimsy and I got bored after a while. I also thought the ending was very predictable. At least it was an easy read and didn’t take long to get through.

I preferred How to Stop Time, but honestly I don't think he is a good writer. Good ideas, but not a good writer. That said How to Stop Time is not exactly original. Claire North has written similar.

I am rather plodding through Rose Tremain's Islands of Mercy to the point where I don't really look forward to reading it. Just want to finish it. But what next...?

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:53 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
DDD5BC43-C6F1-4172-A6F7-08B60A056B96.jpeg

I treated myself to this recently...recipes and book suggestions broken down by seasons.

The blurb at the top is blurry but it reads ‘Recipes you long to cook, suggestions for books you want to read, a sense of place and season, and tales of a life lived thoughtfully and well. This is a very special book, written well with great generosity’. Diana Henry.

Such a lovely book if anyone needs present ideas for others or just for yourself!

OMCO - thanks for this. I looked back on this thread for inspiration for MiL and this is perfect!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Yeah! It's a lovely book...hope she likes it.

I'm reading a slightly crappy but festive Nicholas Sparks (of the Notebook fame) book at the moment from the library. I rarely give up on a book but I have loads on my pile which I am desperate to start so we'll see...

I've got the latest River Cottage Christmas book from the library too, mainly as I like the look of the chocolate chestnut torte which i'm planning to make for Christmas day.

Postby aero280 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:46 am

I have been reading my usual mix of detective & adventure books on the free library downloads, but OH came home last week with a hardback copy of the Thursday Murder Club, which i have just finished and enjoyed.

While reading it, my online library reserves have all become available earlier than expected, so I'll be busy over Christmas. :o Next one is an Anthony Horovitz...

Postby smitch » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:30 am

I’ve just finished January’s book club read, ‘The Appeal’ by Janice Hallett. I’m procrastinating and avoiding my uni assignment :lol:

I really enjoyed this read although I guessed some of the twists, but I think you’re meant to do that. Most of the book is presented as messages and emails between people suspected of, or linked to, a murder.

No idea what I’ll read next, other than some of my uni textbooks and journal articles…

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:22 pm

Alolngside fiction I am reading this: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... in-britain

Scoff: A History of Food and Class in Britain by Pen Vogler. Very readable and interesting. I already know the basics of what I have read so far (only read a few chapters and I did do a lot of research when working on the Food book for work), but the extra detail is very interesting indeed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Ooh that's tempting, Pen Vogler was one of the speakers in the last British Library food talk series, really liked her, she was talking about that sort of thing

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:28 pm

It's a bit fat book so you get your money's worth ;)

Postby scullion » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:35 am

after getting up to date with the 'inspector brunetti' books i'm now reading 'the golden thread - how fabrics changed history' by kessia st clare. very interesting read.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:30 am

I’ve just finished the latest Brunetti. I’m now waiting on the latest Mike Ripley “Campion” to be returned to the library. I’m quite enjoying these. They follow on from the original Margery Allingham books.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff