Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:49 am

I have a vitopod which is vertically expandable, but also this unheated one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

er somewhere. I know where the bottom is but not sure about the other bits :o Which given how expensive it was is a bit shocking. I am sure I can find them...

You can buy spares/extras, but I don't think I deserve them!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EarlyGrow-MPL5 ... PKT8&psc=1

Probably aren't the right size for any other brand...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:20 pm

quick question: those who use heated propagators, do you put pots directly in them, or put them on a tray? Is it likely to make a difference? Presumably the soil would heat up faster if closer to the heat source, but would it eventually warm up to the same temperature anyway?

This is idle curiosity, really, given that things have germinated when put in a tray.

I just sowed some chilli Lancer. Only 6 seeds in the packet! That's F1 hybrids for you (and you can't even get more by saving seed!)

Postby scullion » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:14 pm

we have quite a large propagator and i do tend to put trays/modules in hole-less trays and pots on saucers, in it, so that i have less cleaning and mopping up of water.
the heat will transfer ok through the additional tray, i wouldn't worry about that and the time lag will be negligible - hours rather than the days/weeks it will take the seeds to germinate anyway (and the heat will go in through the sides and top of the pot, too).
i try to avoid f1 hybrids, i like saving seed. it needn't stop you saving the f1 seed, though - it may be interesting to see what chillies you get from them - and what the parents were like.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:40 pm

Thanks Scully. I have done that with F1s. Seed roulette.

I wasn't going to grow any chillies from seed, but I liked the sound of these. I might grow some jalapenos though, if I can get the seed, to make chipotles.

I sowed some basil too...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:57 pm

I was just walking past allotments and looking longinlgly at them. Checked my place on the waiting list. I am 62, not 52 (unless they have slotted 10 people in ahead of me.) It's really not going to happen. Ever. (If I am allowed my dream of retiring to somewhere outside London.)

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:45 pm

I bought a few packets of seeds at the back end of last year to grow a few edibles in pots on our little patio. Unfortunately, events have overtaken me and I will now leave them until next year. I'm a bit disappointed but it's really insignificant in the great scheme of things.

Wishing you all the best growing luck for the coming year, may you all reap great harvests!

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:22 pm

I am sorry slimpersoninside. I hope you are ok...

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:17 am

herbidacious wrote:I am sorry slimpersoninside. I hope you are ok...

Thank you Herbie.

A health problem reared it's ugly head during the latter part of last year, it involves various treatments over the best part of a year or so some of which put me out of action on a regular basis. Not great but doing ok!

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:31 am

Hope the treatments aren’t too grim and that it sorts out the problem PDQ Slimpersoninside :mug: :newhuggy

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:32 am

I am really sorry to hear that, Slimpersoninside. :newhuggy I am glad you are doing ok.

Gardening is probably the least of your concerns, but if you wanted to do something and it gives you pleasure, some modest herb growing might provide some.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:43 am

Cheers ladies.

A few herbs is an idea but it could end up putting extra jobs on hubby's list which would be very unfair of me, he's already got a lot on his plate.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:05 pm

Daffs, snowdrops and crocuses at Kew today
Attachments
Feb 1 Kew snowdrops and crocuses.JPG
Feb 1 Kew snowdrops and crocuses.JPG (107.98 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Kew daffs Feb 1 .jpg
Kew daffs Feb 1 .jpg (70.11 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:59 am

Gorgeous, KC2! Always heartwarming to see.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:27 am

I foiund my few clumps showing now too ... no daffs in bloom yet though. My tulips are taking off, plenty of leaves in the garden and some pots .. :clap :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 pm

My tulips seem to be very early, which is just as well, as I’d forgotten which of the pots they were in!

Lovely pics KC2, I must go to Kew sometime, it’s a straight run on the Overground

Postby herbidacious » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:38 pm

I found one snowdrop plant flowering in my garden but it's very scruffy. Also one iris reticulata. I meant to buy more this year but forgot.
My bacopa have not stopped flowering and I seem to have a statice that has survived. Not sure whether to leave it in or not - it's supposed to be an annual one. Another Italian anemone is flowering.

Postby Wic » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 pm

We have been attacked by a mole! There are huge piles of earth all along the front hedge. Normally we’d sweep them into the grass, or try and fill in the tunnels, but the molehills are so big that that wouldn’t work well at the moment. I thought I might try barrowing most of the earth to the raised beds, but then I vaguely remembered that in the dim and distant I’d read that that wasn’t a good idea, and it wasn’t good for growing things. It doesn’t sound all that likely, but I thought I’d check - does anyone have any ideas? It looks like lovely soil.

Isn’t it nice to even think of going out into the garden again!

Postby Suffs » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:55 pm

It’ll be fine for growing things … back in the days gardeners would collect it to mix with compost and use for potting up their plants or for seed trays. Go get that lovely loam (spellcheck wants you to get Lively Liam!!!) :lol:

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:18 pm

our (long gone and even then, ancient) next door neighbour always used to shovel up the mole hills and put the soil in her tomato greenhouse.

Postby Wic » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:50 am

Thank you. I was pretty sure that was right but suddenly there was a worm in my brain that brought up the doubt. I think it was probably way, way back on the BBC Gardening board. Quite often people who knew nothing would produce barmy theories. Why that stuck I don’t know. Anyway, I shall dig up the Lovely Liam and take him to the raised beds!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff