Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:46 am

Patsy, I think you are a genius! Having googled them I'd be surprised if the Spiraea Japonica isn't right and pretty sure the Spiraea Arguta is right too.

I shall do as Suffs says, having taken a look on the GW site I will get some better photos.

Thank you both :thumbsup .

Postby Suffs » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:54 am

I absolutely agree with the Spirea arguta Bridal Wreath :thumbsup ... but as for the others ... I'll wait ...

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm

I popped by daughter's place today and took some better (I hope) pictures :crossed .

This is the light green one, it has sprays of little pink flowers when in bloom. Hubby gave it a bit of a trim so not much of a pic of the flowers. I do think Patsy's Spiraea Japonica looks the part.
IMG_1186 1.jpg
IMG_1186 1.jpg (255.91 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

This one has lots of small white flowers when in bloom, sorry can't remember when it blooms.
IMG_1188 1.jpg
IMG_1188 1.jpg (222.42 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

Leaves and flowers of this one. I also have one of these but know nothing about it.
IMG_1183 1.jpg
IMG_1183 1.jpg (243.98 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

More on the way........

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:09 pm

......so, onto part 2

This is a big shrub. It has yellow flowers early in the year. Not totally sure but I think it might be an evergreen, but don't quote me on that ;) .
IMG_1194 1.jpg
IMG_1194 1.jpg (291.81 KiB) Viewed 4392 times

I hadn't spotted this one and have no idea if it flowers, can't remember seeing it before :oops:
IMG_1192 1.jpg
IMG_1192 1.jpg (276.35 KiB) Viewed 4392 times

Thanks for any further help.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:45 am

The one with the pink flower is Phygelius (or Cape Fuschia) .... can be a bit of a thug and almost indestructible..

I think the one you say has the early yellow flowers is Forsythia- not an evergreen though .. good for early colour and can stand a good hacking back to keep in control.

I use PlantNet to identify those plants I don't already know - if the ID isn't that obvious, it shows other alternatives .. PlantNet confirms the Spriaea Japonica :thumbsup

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 am

Cheers Patsy :thumbsup .

I really like the look of the Phygelius, being a bit of a thug it might even survive my ministrations :lol: .

Thanks for the heads up on the Forsythia. I'm glad it can take a good hacking back, it's huge and all the branches are criss crossing each other. The plan will be to take everything back to near ground level and start again.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 am

I wouldn't go too hard on the 2 Spiraea .... some shrubs only flower on the previous year's branches .

Just trim them into a manageable shape after flowering. A google search 'best time to prune Spiraea' will give you more information

Postby aero280 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 am

I’m no gardener. I can use a pair of secateurs to keep the neighbours from complaining, but that’s about it! :o

However, I came across this article in the Observer this morning which might be of interest to greenhouse owners.

Electric toothbrush pollination. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ollination

Postby scullion » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:57 pm

that's a very good but not new technique - i've done it for years - can't remember where i came across it.
it works well with peas and beans, too, which are also self pollinators.
i do use an old brush head though - the back side not the bristle side...

definitely forsythia - it's a thug. it spreads its way, surreptitiously, across the ground until you find you have a patch of it that you can't make your way past and it takes loppers and a saw to tame it. - thank heavens for the garden shredder!

Postby Suffs » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:06 pm

Best way to prune forsythia is to take out a third of the branches as low down as possible each year after flowering ... take the oldest ones first ... that way the whole shrub is rejuvenated after the third year and you avoid the Bright Yellow Bog Brush which is usually the result of a groundsman-type gardener with a hedgeclipper.

Forsythia can be quite attractive if pruned as I described and not shorn ... and it flowers when there's not a lot of colour in the garden.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:15 pm

I'm looking on this as a longer term rejuvenation. There hasn't been much tlc for a few years and I'm not expecting miracles, it'll look worse before it gets better methinks.

Everything is just far too big and as long as a good pruning won't actually kill any of the plants, maybe just cause a loss of flowers for a year or two at worst, I think it will probably/possibly be the best way forward.

Looks like I might have to get hubby to leave the hedge trimmer and electric saw at home then Suffs, they are his favourite gardening tools :lol: :lol: .

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:48 pm

Not sure if this belongs here or the tV board, but watching Chelsea. I worked on the Phostrogen stall when I worked for them in the early 80s.
I don't remember the hype that preceded it, just beautiful plants and knowledgeable people, like tony Clements with his African Violets. I met a lot of the 'top' TV gardeners of the time, but of course, we have moved on.
How many people will create a Nepalese garden, a balcony garden of such imagination? Of course it's a competition and aspirational, but I won't rush to emulate it.
Not sure it's a grump, more just a passing comment...

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:22 pm

Well, you basically said it, SG. Shows are entertainment and about imaginary worlds as marketing/promotional showcases for people, brands and products in the business. Aspirational? Another marketing term!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:54 pm

I used to go to Chelsea every year (well, it's local enough), perhaps I got my Phostrogen off you SG!

I never found I wanted to copy a whole garden or whatever, but I do find small things useful, a professional will put two plants in a container I'd never have thought of matching up or you get to see the exact colours of varieties, which is useful

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:01 pm

I've only been to Chelsea once and I'm not a proper gardener. I came home full of ideas, some rather grand for my little plot but which I still would do if I could bear to part with the money. I think it's great for inspiration - and aspiration.

My only gripe was it was so crowded you couldn't see everything properly. We joined and went on a Member's day which we thought might be quieter :roll:.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:14 pm

Just went to check my garden. A bl**dy squirrel ate all the sweetcorn while I was away! There must have been 10-15 cobs. Grrr.

Still quite a lot of tomatoes on the go, on the plus side but I think most of my aubergine plants have given up the ghost. Is it worth putting the rest in the greenhouse? One has lots of flowers. I need to harvest the chillis and chuck some tomato plants.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:01 pm

The greenhouse is now clear of toms and aubergines. No green tom chutney this year.
I've pruned back the chillies and peppers as I have aspiration of overwintering them and will buy another heated tray to pamper them :shock:

We have sprayed it with weedkiller and then the potatoes can go in there this week.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 pm

I might overwinter mine, but I think it will have to be in the house.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:13 pm

Soem of my chillies are a bit over-ripe/wrinkling. Does this matter?

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:31 am

I ordered some seeds yesterday, all veg, after doing a stocktake of what I already have.
The usual suspects; cucumber, chillies etc. Trying this variety - expensive for only 5 seeds
https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetabl ... edium.html

I have inadvertently found out what my birthday present it this year. A large box arrived and I was told under no circumstances to open it yet. However, I asked OH if we could add more electric plugs in the greenhouse and I'd buy another heated tray. He looked sheepish and said 'hang fire' till you open the box!!! Apparently, it has growing lights too. My seedlings may be warmer than us this winter!!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff