Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue May 18, 2021 3:55 pm

Postby Busybee » Tue May 18, 2021 4:19 pm

Wic wrote:
And rabbits can’t read. This means that the RHS list of plants they don’t like is a bit Pie in the Sky. They will try anything. If they don’t like it they will just bite bits off and leave them on the ground. Like all the flowers from the lavender, for example.

You can shoot them, you can trap them and release them somewhere else, but they are self perpetuating and it’s not worth the trouble!

Our beloved garden, or as I call it, The Bunny Buffet..............I was admiring the kitchen garden at RHS Harlow Carr and asked one of the gardeners what they did to keep the rabbits off. He was thoughtful for a few moments, then said........decide what you want to sacrifice and plant that round the edge, after all everything’s got to eat.

It’s a good philosophy.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue May 18, 2021 4:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 18, 2021 4:23 pm

I can't help wondering how Wic's wabbits are coping with the wooziness from the opiates :?

Sorry couldn't resist the alliteration

Postby Wic » Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 pm

A lovely alliteration! I don’t think they can have been overcome, though, there were no zonked out bodies in evidence.

I see the point of putting sacrifices round the edges, but once they’ve eaten the sacrifices they'd get onto the good stuff. My philosophy is that if there’s something you like, plant a lot, because if you like it, they’ll like it, but you could well have some left when they’ve finished. However, in this case, 9 Oriental Poppies was obviously a bit mean ...

Postby halfateabag » Tue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm

Rabbit in a mustard sauce at Zedels brings back some memories..... Touch wood, nothing has eaten my growth so far this year...... I am standing ready with the slug pellets....

Postby Suffs » Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am

I find that using the slug specific nematodes on our veg patch several years ago has really had noticeable results in reducing slug damage ... as the little keel slugs that do so much damage live underground some of them are hardly affected by pellets on the surface, whereas the nematodes in the soil get the keel slugs too.

Postby scullion » Wed May 19, 2021 10:46 am

we rarely get rabbits in the garden - unless the cats have bought in a 'takeaway' from the field next door.
unless they come over the hedges their only way of ingress is under a couple of five bar gates and the cats seem to act as border guards/deterrents.
if it's a recurrent problem i think i'd take a leaf out of australia's book and put up a rabbit proof fence round the garden!

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu May 27, 2021 6:59 pm

Can anyone identify the plant below please?

DD inherited it as a dead looking former shrub(I think) and it's picked up so I'd like to care for it properly.

Thank you.

thumbnail 1.jpg
thumbnail 1.jpg (354.89 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:11 pm

It's gorgeous! It's not an azalea or a rhododendron, is it? Others on here will certainly know :thumbsup :D

Postby aero280 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:37 pm

I know nothing about plants, unless I've seen them and been told. But it could be an "azalea japonica". I think OH tried to grow one once, but she seems to kill off most plants... :o

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu May 27, 2021 8:58 pm

The flowers look a bit like Hibiscus, but the leaves don't, unless there is another type.. (Hot house tender rather than outdoor garden ?)

If you upload/download an app called PlantNet, you can then send this photo and it will give you an answer

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 27, 2021 9:12 pm

Yep, that’s an azalea japonica, or Japanese azalea

All azaleas are actually part of the rhododendron family

They are commonly sold in pots for Mothering Sunday or Easter, and usually discarded when the flowers drop, but my father used to put them in a bed in a corner of the garden and leave them well alone, apart from mulching with lawn clippings when he remembered

My experience is that they will usually take outside if the soil is reasonably acidic, anything named “japonica” tends to disliked lime, I suppose the grass clippings acidified the soil

I have a beautiful vaguely Japanese cache pot that was given to me with an azalea in it, the whole package from M&S

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu May 27, 2021 11:18 pm

Thank you all.

This is the second summer in this house for DD, can't remember this plant showing itself last year.

None of us are gardeners and can't claim any hand in it's picking up, I'd like to keep it going as it's a very attractive plant.

Postby Amber » Fri May 28, 2021 1:27 am

I use PictureThis app for instant identification.

I think I may be cultivating weeds, but they look pretty, are actually growing(!), and have a fancy Latin name. Himilayan something or other? reddish green leaves, no flowers as yet….

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 28, 2021 10:10 am

If it’s Himalayan balsam Impatiens glandulifera it is a member of the Busy Lizzie family, which sounds charming, but it’s actually a nasty thug and you should get rid of it

https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discove ... yan-balsam

It is illegal to sell it or deliberately introduce it to a new location

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/garden-he ... ve-species

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 28, 2021 10:53 am

You beat me to it Sue :shock: :shock: :shock: That, along with Giant Hogweed and Japanese Knotweed were brought into gardens by the Victorians mainly ... as they are not natural to our British countryside, they have no natural predators and so have crowded out our own species :cry: :thumbsdown

Postby scullion » Fri May 28, 2021 11:49 am

the same with grey squirrels.

if you identify it as himalayan balsam i suggest you pull it up before it flowers. it's quick to set seed and the seed pods do an amazing job of explosively shooting the seeds as far as they can. if you're near a stream or other watercourse it will be a very hard job to get rid of it once it seeds.

Postby Suffs » Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 am

Agree re Himalayan Balsam ... it's a monster ... at our last place the tenants before two grew one plant they'd uprooted from the wild ... in three years it was infesting our garden and the one behind and the other side of them. We uprooted them as soon as we saw them but not everyone was as methodical ... in five years the garden next door was full of them, literally, and they were appearing in gardens all along the street ....... monstrous! They catapult the seeds for metres and over high walls.

Postby Amber » Fri May 28, 2021 10:16 pm

It’s a Himalayan honeysuckle - I’ve just been out to check. Is that nasty too? We definitely didn’t plant it, I just thought it had pretty leaves in the sunshine yesterday. There are two or three other small plants which have just ‘appeared’ in that pot.
B07760BC-57DD-4114-B72D-67A9846D7458.jpeg
B07760BC-57DD-4114-B72D-67A9846D7458.jpeg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff