Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:57 pm

I'd love enough room for a small Acer!

Diss for me was the last station before Norwich on the way home from boarding school - it means 'Hooray - nearly home!'. From the train, the platform overlooked a bleak Norfolk field and it never looked as though there was any town or human habitation in the vicinity. Odd because when you pass the station in the car it is quite built up all round!

I've been given a packet of anemone tubers which says I can plant outside from March then goes on about frost :evil:. I will probably put them in a pot so I know where they are in future years but haven't a big enough cloche. If I put them somewhere sheltered, do you think they'll be alright or will I have to mess about putting them to bed at night?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:04 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I'd love enough room for a small Acer!

I have two... both in pots. One Lime Green and the other a dark red. The red one came from Tesco and the lime green one was bought at a boot sale years ago. My intention was to plant it in the garden, but it never thrived and only came alive again once it when back in it's pot.. :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:26 pm

what sort of anemones, EM?

Postby herbidacious » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm

There was an acer in this garden, but the previous owners took it with them. Where it as is where we have the mysterious foot deep reserve of slate. Next door has one which drapes over the fence which is nice, as I have the benefit without it taking up previous flower bed space.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:47 pm

Got it back in one piece! Haven't even unwrapped it yet ... acer palmatum bi-ho.
Also picked up a pieris and 2 ( :oops: ) 50 ltr bags of ericacious compost. Just couldn't resist the multi-buy :oops:

Suffs, yes please!!!!!!!! That would be wonderful!! Thanks!!!!!!
Attachments
New acer palmatum bi-ho.JPG
New acer palmatum bi-ho.JPG (48.36 KiB) Viewed 4768 times

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:08 am

KC2 if you PM me your address I’ll see what I can uproot ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:18 am

herbidacious wrote:what sort of anemones, EM?

The box doesn't give any more hints than this, even in the small print ....
20210323_233427_resized.jpg
20210323_233427_resized.jpg (218.51 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
. I'll just plant them and try and keep them frost free.

The acer looks lovely, KC2. How tall/wide do you expect it to grow?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:45 am

Hmm - those will be one of the many varieties of anemone coronaria - and I planted mine in early autumn, as Sarah Raven recommends here
https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/gro ... onaria.htm

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 am

Those look like Anemone de Caen ... Ma had some in her garden on the farm, they came up year after year ... they're hardy.

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/anemo ... gLU7vD_BwE

Ah :hi5: SSue ... you beat me to it ... I found I'd not hit Submit :lol:
Last edited by Suffs on Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Suffs wrote:KC2 you should've said ... we've got Vinca major here in our 'wilderness' ... I could've sent you some rooted runners.

it grows 'wild' around here, too. it's now in flower. i saw a pretty white one rambling over a hedge the other day - as well as the ordinary purple one. i think we have some of the latter in our garden somewhere...

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Hmm - those will be one of the many varieties of anemone coronaria - and I planted mine in early autumn, as Sarah Raven recommends here
https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/gro ... onaria.htm

Well, I was only given these the other day! It says March on the pack so that's what I'll do and wait and see what happens.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:

Well, I was only given these the other day! It says March on the pack so that's what I'll do and wait and see what happens.

They are a bit of a mystery then - as you know, you usually plant bulbs and corms in spring for autumn flowering, adn in autumn for the next spring

The only autumn flowering anemone I know is the Japanese anemone - which I love but you usually buy them as plants rather than corms I think - and they grow a metre tall

Here's a good list of varieties, though they aren't all pictured
https://www.seasonalgardening.co.uk/per ... nemone.asp

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:18 pm

It says plant March - May to flower June - August and no mention of it meaning flowering the following year. Doesn't sound right to me either but they cost £2.75 and were a present so it won't be a big deal if they don't flower and then I'll leave them until next year just in case!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:54 pm

I think this is roughly where it will go.

EM, it's supposed to grow to around 2m, with a 3m spread ... Some acers are reputed to be quite slow-growing, and I think this is one of them. Can you really not fit one in your garden, in a pot? Or are you all potted out with no more space :lol:

The yellow bark is gorgeous, and will really light up that corner. i think we'll be able to direct one of the garden lights towards it.

scullion wrote:
Suffs wrote:KC2 you should've said ... we've got Vinca major here in our 'wilderness' ... I could've sent you some rooted runners.

it grows 'wild' around here, too. it's now in flower. i saw a pretty white one rambling over a hedge the other day - as well as the ordinary purple one. i think we have some of the latter in our garden somewhere...

Deeply envious of it growing wild! We tried to grow it in both our previous houses with very little success. I think the white one is lovely. At Kew the other day we saw a huge patch with mixed colours.

Given that I bought far too much ericacious compost yesterday perhaps the vincas will thrive if I offload some of it to them! I read that they like acidic soil :crossed
Attachments
Acer in garden.JPG
Acer in garden.JPG (36.43 KiB) Viewed 4698 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:19 pm

The garden and the flowering cherry from the first floor!
Attachments
cherry blossom.JPG
cherry blossom.JPG (77.45 KiB) Viewed 4617 times

Postby herbidacious » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:36 pm

That's beautiful! My cherry isn't out yet and my ornamental plum is nearly over. I have another lovely shrub covered in white blossom. I don't know what it is. I should post a pic.

re anemones, I have some of these in various colours:

https://www.farmergracy.co.uk/products/ ... 0027391041

Plus some de Caen ones.

The advice is often to start them off indoors then put them out after risk of last frost. I haven't got round to it :? But I did plant some in autumn and have some from last year that have actually been flowering. I am going to put some fleece over them tonight just in case.

Did you put them, EM?

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:31 pm

What a beautiful flowering cherry! The flowering cherry season in Japan has been earlier than any other year since 812 (that's not a misprint of 1812!) which is when records began. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56574142
I don't have a long bucket list but being in Japan during the flowering cherry season is on it.

Postby Busybee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:00 am

Pampy wrote:What a beautiful flowering cherry! The flowering cherry season in Japan has been earlier than any other year since 812 (that's not a misprint of 1812!) which is when records began. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56574142
I don't have a long bucket list but being in Japan during the flowering cherry season is on it.

We were booked to go and see the cherry blossom in Japan last year, I resisted rebooking for this year, and I think it will be some time until I feel confident enough to consider rebooking such a big trip.

Not the same, but still pretty spectacular, have you been to see the cherry blossom at Alnwick Gardens? The largest white cherry blossom orchard outside of Japan, well worth a visit.

BB

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:47 am

What a shame to miss your trip to Japan, BB - hope that you'll get there at some time in the future.
Thanks for the info. about Alnwick - will put that on the bucket list.

Postby Busybee » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:20 am

Pampy wrote:What a shame to miss your trip to Japan, BB - hope that you'll get there at some time in the future.
Thanks for the info. about Alnwick - will put that on the bucket list.

https://www.alnwickgarden.com/the-garde ... y-blossom/

I stand corrected, it’s the largest collection in the world of this particular blossom. You can watch it in real time via the webcam.

If you haven’t been to Alnwick gardens before they are rather spectacular, in fact Alnwick and it’s surrounding area is lovely.

BB

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff