Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Suffs » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:07 pm

Gladioli :)

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:57 pm

Cheers Suffs :thumbsup ....our guess was foxglove :oops: .

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:28 pm

Suffs beat me to it .... My dad used to grow those, but I think those ones need lifting at the end of the season, the corms kept and then re-planted the following spring iirc .

I have the wild kind in my garden ... the flowers are not so showy, a paler mauvey pink and the blooms are more slender .... they pop up every year and brighten up one of my borders and I don't have to do anything with them apart from pull out the stems when the foliage has died down.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 pm

I love them and used to grow them till chickens put paid to them and everything else in the garden, except weeds.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Those ones are a nice colour. I grew some for the first time this year, and one lot were a slightly sickly (somehow a bit 60s) pink.

I have some of the wilder variety too. I suspect they might have been 'weeded' by slightly inexperienced young gardeners though.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:24 pm

Thank you all.

I've had a bit of look into these and will try and get some of the 'wild' variety, I have to be honest and say I wouldn't be pulling up and storing bulbs every year.

There is one proviso however, we need to sort out the garden a bit (actually, a lot).

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:49 pm

You could mulch them. Not sure what I will do with mine. I might pull them up. They are not very deep in the ground. I have some in pots too.

Another two tomato plants have just bit(ten) the (blighty) dust, with a third hot on their heels, annoyingly before any or many tomatoes have ripened. Some tomatoes are quite big so possibly about to ripen. Others less so, so my question is, if I am going to cook with them, does it matter at what stage of their development they are at?

I was thinking about making Nigel Slater's mixed tomato chutney as I don't think I have enough green ones to make a 'pure' green chutney.

I am assuming here that it's ok to eat green tomatoes from a blighty plant. I am also assuming they will probably be blighty if I leave them to ripen on a windowsill etc.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:14 pm

I just got a reply on GW about sweetcorn from an American called War Garden 572...

Postby Suffs » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:18 pm

The wild type of gladiolus is available from Sarah Raven
https://www.sarahraven.com/products/gla ... byzantinus

It’s also known as Whistling Jacks.

Postby Suffs » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:20 pm

herbidacious wrote:I just got a reply on GW about sweetcorn from an American called War Garden 572...

Oh he pops up on there too from time to time … in various guises. He usually gets bored cos no one will argue with him and disappears again after a while.

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:03 pm

herbidacious wrote:I am assuming here that it's ok to eat green tomatoes from a blighty plant. I am also assuming they will probably be blighty if I leave them to ripen on a windowsill etc.

herbi the tomatoes I rescued from my blight stricken plants are ripening quite happily in my conservatory with no blight on the fruit. I took all the green stalks off and think that helps.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:43 pm

It's a gamble, though, ltc. I have tried this before and they have just rotted. I can see some of them with possible signs of this already. On the other hand, I am not super keen to make chutney...

On another note my attempt to grow nigella sativa has not been terribly successful. I had a 10 inch pot of plants, in the end, which did flower, but only they seem to have pridced one seed head! I supppose they weren't pollinated for some reason.
The flowers were also very small, as is the one corresponding seed head.
I will have another go next year.

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm

Not so good herbi, I hope you don't lose too many. :crossed

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:43 pm

I have had an okish crop, now, ltc, considering I have lost 50% (? more?) of my plants and others have not done well. They are coming to the end now but hopefully the greenhouse ones will continue for a bit longer. I have just put two trays in the oven including these... (the weird ones - Reise Tomaten).

31735771-85D7-4B00-B14B-6FDBD4C1D03E.JPG
31735771-85D7-4B00-B14B-6FDBD4C1D03E.JPG (155.38 KiB) Viewed 2773 times

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:22 pm

Oh fab looking tomatoes herbi that looks like a decent enough crop to me!
This year has been a bit of a write off growing wise for me so I'm pleased that I got something after a very shaky start and then blight.
My sole (though massive) Brandywine is currently roasting the oven to have with our sausages.
My best two crops this year apart from the basket cherry ones have been from Indigo Rose and Amish Paste plants which often don't do that well for me!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Yes it's not been a good year for so many people this year. I've done ok but a small percentage of what I normally would have. Still I've managed to freeze a few small boxes of passata and I have a lot of aubergines (mainly ffrom one plant though!) So iam kind of grateful, but also not as a great deal of work has gone into it. Hopefully next year will be better.

My Crimson Cherry have done/are doing really well. I suppose I could grow some interesting blight-prone ones in the greenhouse next year and blight resistant ones outside.

There's only so much I can fit in the greenhouse though. I wish I had more (sunny) space outside for them.
I can see my sitting room is going to fill up with things again, come April. (Aubergines, peppers...)

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:08 am

I shall be cutting back my chilli plants soon, ready for over wintering. My other jobs today are to earth up the potatoes in their bags and plant garlic for next year. I also have violas and pansy to sow and aubretia to plant out.
Hub is taking an interest in gardening and has been collecting wild flower seeds in envelopes; he wants to make some planters, filled with wild flowers to encourage bees etc.

On a slightly different tack, has anyone found any problems using the new E10 fuel in lawnmowers etc? We are still having 'No problem' to cut our grass, but eventually, hub will have to do it, when he's better.

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:On a slightly different tack, has anyone found any problems using the new E10 fuel in lawnmowers etc? We are still having 'No problem' to cut our grass, but eventually, hub will have to do it, when he's better.

i had to look that up as we only use human powered grass cutting (scythe and brill) - where the fuel is somewhat different!

Postby Suffs » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:01 pm

SloeG ... information on the GW forum re E10 petrol for mowers etc, here

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discus ... 10-fuel/p1

Postby Wic » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:58 pm

You have to use what was once called Super - it is still E05 - and is fine for mowers, motorbikes etc. The problem is, not everyone sells it. We can only find it at Sainsburys here, Morrisons never did Super, nor did the nearest garage.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff