Register

Healthy Eating

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Healthy Eating

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:34 pm

In a nutshell, dairy does NOT increase mucus production

But the calcium in it can make the mucus already present thicker and more obvious, so possible worth skipping for one meal before a big vocal performance. It’s the calcium hanging round in the upper respiratory tract that makes the difference, not the stuff you have digested.

The hearing thing sounds like utter balderdash

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am

GP told me the same Sue, but gave up cow's milk years ago which certainly helped, though didn't make any difference to hearing! And know eating chocolate will thicken it.

Postby dennispc » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:18 pm

One of the family sent me this;

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/eating-a ... t-covid-19

The full report, see the link, is rather short, but did find an academic paper of a smaller study;

https://nutrition.bmj.com/content/early ... 021-000272

Thought one or both might be of interest.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:59 pm

I’ve only skim read that Dennis but it seems to me to be evidence that eating a healthy diet tends to have healthier and more effective immune systems, which isn’t much of a surprise really

I’ll post this one before someone else does
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... 1632649048

Blythman blithering as usual - I don’t know why someone with the scientific knowledge of a cabbage thinks she’s qualified to write this stuff

Take for example the bit on fruit and veg - the Californian horticulturists or their PR team may have come up with the 5 a day slogan, though I’m not sure even that’s true, but the reason ithey were looking for a slogan that was taken up by public health authorities was because a WHO sponsored study had determined that people should generally eat more fruit and veg, aiming for a variety that added up to at least 400g per day. But she can’t sneer at that so it’s irrelevant

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:21 pm

[quote="Stokey Sue"] I don’t know why someone with the scientific knowledge of a cabbage thinks she’s qualified to write this stuff

Spot on Sue........love it!
Those sentiments can be applied to so many walks of life!
It drives me nuts! :evil:

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:27 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
I’ll post this one before someone else does
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... 1632649048

Blythman blithering as usual - I don’t know why someone with the scientific knowledge of a cabbage thinks she’s qualified to write this stuff

Granted it's not written very well to say the least, but the point of the piece is that there is increasing - scientific - evidence that a lot of the - scientific - nutrition studies and recommendations that became writ in stone over the past decades are proving suspect or incorrect or both. For a variety of reasons.

The point is also, IMO, that science and scientific studies and their results shift and are not static or immutable. There are also many instances where the basic paradigms and parameters of certain historically key studies have been and are proving incorrect. (SarsCov2/Covid19 and viral droplet vs airborne transmission springs to mind too)

Case in point: Here for example is an article I read recently - longish read but worth wading thru.

It shows how the simple counting calories eaten vs calories burned model is flawed and how it came about - very cogent appraisal of the history of the medical study and treatment of weight, bodyfat metabolism and accumulation and obesity.

"How a ‘fatally, tragically flawed’ paradigm has derailed the science of obesity"
https://www.statnews.com/2021/09/13/how ... f-obesity/

... physicians, an ever-growing but still small minority, find that when they induce their patients to restrict carbohydrates but not calories, their patients can achieve and maintain a healthy weight with relative ease and get healthier in the process.

... In the case of obesity, the hormonal/constitutional hypothesis also encountered dogmatic resistance in response to its single most direct practical implication: Diets that can successfully resolve obesity are not those that [only and necessarily] induce us to eat less, per energy-balance thinking, but those that reduce circulating levels of insulin, accomplished most effectively by replacing dietary carbohydrates — sugars, starchy vegetables and grains, and the like — with fat.

Postby scullion » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 am

ZeroCook wrote:What exactly are you saying, Stokey?

i think she is saying that the woman is a food journalist rather than a food scientist giving opinions without much research. the links the article uses are to other guardian articles rather than to the data (although there is peer reviewed bits in the other articles).

your link (also by a journalist) may cite more scientific work (although one i looked at was not completely relevant to the point he was making) but it's hardly new - and on a different topic to the one sue was commenting on.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:56 am

Blythman is a well-known self publicist charlatan who holds herself up as an expert, she has been agitating against Covid precautions, and she denounces anything said by what she terms a "so-called expert", that is any properly qualified person, such as a distinguished professor with a proven track record, who advises Public Health England

The Blythman article is badly written, which is a surprise because as far as I'm concerned writing is the one thing she is usually not bad at, she's and experienced (trained and qualified) journalist

The whole article is an exercise in the cheap journalistic trick of generating a "myth" in order to knock it down

For example, Ms Blythman says “Remember when public health advice was to eat no more than two eggs weekly? That pearl of wisdom was based on the mistaken idea that foods containing cholesterol are bad for you”. Well, yes but only those of the same generation as Ms Blythman and me (or older)will do so, it hasn't been part of official UK health policy this century I don't think, and the UK medical profession were not generally advocates of it, although I know it was a big deal in the USA (cf the notorious egg white omelette). Yes, of course the viewpoint of science shifts, but Ms Blythman really isn't tracking the shifts in scientific understanding she purports to, In her Twitter feed, though not as far as I remember in the article, she repeatedly says that government advice is "not to eat natural foods" which is of course not true

The Gary Taubes article I read a while ago, its better but you must remember that Ms Blythman is discussing mainly UK and he is discussing mainly US, there are difference

The bottom line is that I am horrified that a paper such as the Guardian/Observer is giving a platform to a peddler of disinformation, if she stuck her head out of the window and told me it was raining, I'd check for myself.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:20 pm

I thought this was quite interesting, especially the suggestion at the end that tailor made diets might be the thing. Makes sense to me!

I hope there's not a wall - I don't subscribe.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/science- ... nt-fit-all

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:42 am

dennispc wrote:
Did anyone see headlines the other day about six cups of coffee a day, increases the chance of dementia?

I think I read that up to three will help to prevent it! :roll:

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:10 am

I try to follow a Mediterranean diet most of the time. My favourite website is the following one. Suzy explains everything so very clearly with videos. The Mediterranean Dish is also on Facebook.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/?f ... ou4quDXbDM

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I thought this was quite interesting, especially the suggestion at the end that tailor made diets might be the thing. Makes sense to me!

I hope there's not a wall - I don't subscribe.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/science- ... nt-fit-all

That is a very odd article, he discusses glycemic index without ever mentioning the term, or mentioning all the work done (mainly at Monash) between 1981 and 2015
He says of the 1981 study
They gave each type of food a score according to how much it raised blood sugar levels, with sugar as the benchmark, with a score of 100.

Use of the word “sugar” when he actually means specifically glucose is really weird coming from a scientist or medic, and I’m not sure why he picks out those 2 authors from the 20+ on the paper. He’s an immunologist, not his field, wonder why he’s the choice of author?
It’s interesting that they established the range of variability and that it was reproducible and even predictable in a big enough sample to be worthwhile .
But they seem to be falling into the trap of thinking that only blood glucose and obesity matter when looking at diet

Interesting for sure, but a long way to go

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:17 am

Good points and difficult to evaluate when one is not a scientist. Even I agree that people get bogged down with just one aspect of diet, which is why I liked the idea of being able to create 'designer diets' with the use of a computer to weigh up multiple factors applying to the individual.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:09 pm

The posts about coffee show the differences between writers.

Spector's The Diet Myth covers the need for personalised diets and questioned the calories in calories out ideas. He self experimented with seeing how many calories did he need each day. Health advice is 2200 for a man, he needed 1800.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:17 pm

Surely any reputable source of 'recommended calories' points out that individual needs vary.

For example

http://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questio ... lories-be/

The Diet Myth strikes me as just another example of building a myth to knock it down.

Re: Healthy Eati

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:

The Diet Myth strikes me as just another example of building a myth to knock it down.

Spector does have that reputation in some circles

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 am

This makes an old biochemist very happy :D

A school chemistry teacher made a label for a natural banana, listing all the "ingredients" supermarket style

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chemi ... 6kheVCUzU0

So next time anyone offers you "chemical free" fruit and veg remember to ask them about the E460 content (cellulose)

Postby Rainbow » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:31 am

Sue, I really like that, too :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:33 am

:lol: :lol: - just shows that the average layman hasn't a clue!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:25 pm

Wonderful :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff