Register

Healthy Eating

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Healthy Eating

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Thanks Pat! I'm planning to make sauerkraut next, so I guess the smell won't matter too much.

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:10 pm

Speaking of Ian Marber Sue, he studied at the Institute of Optimum Nutrition which was partly founded by Patrick Holford. I used to have Patrick's books. He might have retired now.
Last edited by Renee on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Renee wrote:Speaking of Ian Marber Sue, he studied at the Institute of Optimum Nutrition which was part founded by Patrick Holford. I used to have Patrick's books. He might have retired now.

I have one of Patrick's books ... :thumbsup

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:17 pm

I really liked reading his books. I can remember him saying "You are not what you eat, but what you can digest".

Postby dennispc » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Some help please.

Came across this recipe - if I change the butter to veg. oil, will it still work? It does with carrot cake. Thanks.

120g butter
120g orange marmalade, something robust and dark is best
2 nubbles of preserved ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
2 eggs
120g self raising flour

Pre-heat the  oven to 165ºC 
Cream the butter and marmalade with the chopped ginger.  Beat in the eggs and then fold in the flour and fennel seeds.

Spoon the mixture into a greased 1lb loaf tin and place in the oven.
Cook for around 30 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Turn out on to a cooling rack.

Postby scullion » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:28 pm

it should still work ok. i would be inclined to treat it as an all in one cake (- but then i don't have a food mixer).

Postby Suelle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Butter is only 80% fat, approximately, and so you could cut down the oil to around 100mls (which would be a bit less than 100g because oil is less dense than water). That would compensate somewhat for using something liquid instead of solid too.

I'm a bit worried that using marmalade instead of sugar, and then changing to oil, could make the batter so liquid that it wouldn't bake properly, but you're not wasting too much in the way of ingredients to find out. It sounds delicious!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:23 pm

As a non-butter person, I tend to go with 3/4 oil to butter meaasure which works for cakes which have moist fruit or veg in any case. I find oil less successful when it's say flour and cocoa powder for chocolate cake when the flavour isn't really "right". Vegan baking margarine tends to work better for those.

Postby dennispc » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Thank you, I'll give it a go sometime next week; carrot cake I mix by hand, despite having a mixer, I'll start with less marmalade and guess consistency.

Postby Suelle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:38 pm

dennispc wrote:Thank you, I'll give it a go sometime next week; carrot cake I mix by hand, despite having a mixer, I'll start with less marmalade and guess consistency.

If you reduce the marmalade you might reduce the sugar content down to unacceptable levels. Sugar affects the texture of the cake, not just the flavour.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby dennispc » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank you, didn’t realise that.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:40 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have a similar problem when I cook curry in my Instant Pot ... However, it doesn't transfer to other dishes.

The Instant Pot has finally arrived in Australia!! so I was reading a bit more about it, and one comment was that the silicone ring does absorb flavours.
Do you find that a problem, Pat?
Some people said they had several rings and used them for specific dishes eg one was only for curries. Would that be a good idea?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 am

From where I’m sitting my impression is that Patrick Holford (who is still active, has his own website and makes podcasts) is more enthusiastic about supplements than Ian Marber, whose emphasis is more on whole lifestyle, but that may be simplistic

Anyway the point of coming here was to share a link from Ian (he didn’t write it, just recommended it) to an article about losing or maintaining muscle mass in aging
It’s in the Times but is not pay walled. I think it’s very good, and some of it was new to me.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how- ... 53b5b35d97

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Rainbow wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I have a similar problem when I cook curry in my Instant Pot ... However, it doesn't transfer to other dishes.

The Instant Pot has finally arrived in Australia!! so I was reading a bit more about it, and one comment was that the silicone ring does absorb flavours.
Do you find that a problem, Pat?
Some people said they had several rings and used them for specific dishes eg one was only for curries. Would that be a good idea?

I have had my Instant Pot for some time now and only use it for savoury dishes. Others use theirs for porridge, yogurt, cakes etc. It has never been a problem for me ... I store the lid upside down, so the ring gets plenty of air.

If you are thinking of getting one, there is a dedicated Facebook group with plenty of experts posting and lots of recipes and help too. IP have a good reputation for aftersales too :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:

Anyway the point of coming here was to share a link from Ian (he didn’t write it, just recommended it) to an article about losing or maintaining muscle mass in aging
It’s in the Times but is not pay walled. I think it’s very good, and some of it was new to me.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how- ... 53b5b35d97

Great article Sue ... I fall a bit short of eating a good Mediterranean diet, however, I think I am getting enough exercise - 3 dance classes last week (including one actual live one :clap ) and may even up that to 4 .... then spend the rest of the week recovering ( :roll: ;) :lol: )

Postby dennispc » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks for the article Sue, some weeks we get pretty close to the Med Diet, but good to see we don’t need to do all the hard stuff,

“… keep up your grip strength by gardening, carrying heavy shopping bags, vacuuming. It’s the everyday stuff that our grandparents used to do.”

Would I be right in thinking that it was probably mostly Grandma who did those things? Generally speaking, Grandmas tended to live longer, didn’t they?

I thought it a good article all round, plenty knew to me.

I’ve been aware of this bit, “ … in midlife our bodies can start becoming increasingly less efficient at turning protein into muscle.” but uncertain how much to eat to get the right amount of protein for me.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Grandpa probably used any spanners, spades, shovels and hoes required, which would have much the same effect as housework I should think - surely what Americans call yard work was his domain, once retired? I know some took the Andy Capp view that if they'd worked in a paid job they did nowt at home but none in my family I must say

I agree that knowing how much protein to eat as you age is tricky, I've heard it said that "obviously" if you lose muscle as you age you need to increase your protein intake, but obvious is just a synonym for unproven in science, and if you aren't taking a lot of exercise you aren't doing a lot of mechanical damage to your muscle that needs protein to repair it: I don't think there's any suggestion that muscle loss in old age is to do with needing to break down protein within the body. Naish's view that it's more to do with the disruption of metabolic pathways is well argued and makes sense to me. You need enough protein, but all excess will do is to put a bit of strain on your kidneys

Postby Rainbow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:02 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have had my Instant Pot for some time now and only use it for savoury dishes. Others use theirs for porridge, yogurt, cakes etc. It has never been a problem for me ... I store the lid upside down, so the ring gets plenty of air.

If you are thinking of getting one, there is a dedicated Facebook group with plenty of experts posting and lots of recipes and help too. IP have a good reputation for aftersales too

Thanks for that - I'll have a look on FB. I already have a pressure cooker that goes on the hob (a newer, safer variety!!) and a cheap slow cooker, so it seems a bit extravagant to buy another 'gadget'!!

Just looked and there are several FB groups. Which one do you belong to?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:50 pm

' Instant Pot UK Community' ....... As far as I know it is directly linked to Instant Pot sold here in the UK - mainly at Costco, although you can buy on Amazon too.

I gave away my old Pressure and cheap Slow Cooker to save space. The IP stays on my counter top and I use it almost every day, even if just to cook spuds ... and of course cooks under pressure as well as a slow function. The newer ones make yogurt too and can be used to prove bread dough as well as sous vide

Postby Rainbow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I gave away my old Pressure and cheap Slow Cooker to save space. The IP stays on my counter top and I use it almost every day, even if just to cook spuds ... and of course cooks under pressure as well as a slow function. The newer ones make yogurt too and can be used to prove bread dough as well as sous vide

Thanks Patsy.
Is there anything the Instant Pot can't do? :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff