Register

Healthy Eating

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Healthy Eating

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:02 pm

they even make one that can take on an air fryer I believe ..... and someone has already posted how to bake a cake in her 'Crisp' (the name for IP's air-fryer version ) as she wants to convert all her oven baked recipes. They are very useful for use in caravans as they can cook a complete meal with only very low electric usage . Oh and they do a small version too - this was to compete with the smaller PKP (Pressure King Pro) I think :roll:

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:10 pm

Has anyone tried Lakeland's Remoska - it's hyped as being able to cook anything!

Postby dennispc » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:33 pm

In order to follow the consultant’s advice to reduce fat and sugar in her diet, OH signed up with a private nutritionist. Yesterday she had 1.75 hr Zoom consultation discussing an individual designed action plan. Looks good to me, though much of the guidance we follow anyway, and changes aren’t that dramatic. They’ll have a chat again next Monday with the option of ringing anytime in between.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:32 pm

I bet he had symptoms, if not obvious heart failure KC2

I may have told this before …

I knew of 2 licquorice addiction cases in my lab days, I was one of the few people set up to do the relevant test for glycerrhizin, the active constituent in blood, though in fact I didn’t test for a diagnosis

Anyway, glycerrhizin causes your kidneys to lose vast amounts of potassium which lowers the blood level leading to fluid retention (classical ply swollen ankles), raised blood pressure, and ultimately kidney/heart failuare

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:00 pm

I read that KC2. I do love liquorice, but know that it raises blood pressure, so I don't buy it these days. I used to like Pontefract Cakes. When I was a child, we used to buy the wooden liquorice sticks for a penny and chew them!

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:04 am

I wouldn't have thought that a reasonable amount of liquorice eaten occasionally would cause any damage.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:06 am

Crikey, I didn't know that. Not that I gorge myself on liquorice but it can be moreish if one has any. We used to buy it quite a lot at school - someone had told us that it make you sexy :lol: :lol:.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:29 am

The BBC article says the man in question ate “a bag and a half a day” - our first lady ate about a pound of Pontefract cakes I believe

It’s a true addiction at that level but very rare, the occasional pack of Bertie Basset’s or a few sweets is fine

The consultant who first saw her thought it might be a side effect of medication, she was plump, discoloured teeth, tired, badly swollen ankles, high blood pressure and he found low potassium but not a lot else on testing. She and her husband swore she took no medication, and no herbal stuff so he brought her into hospital where she immediately got better then suddenly worse. Her nurse noticed she got ill after the sweet trolley came round and found the Pontefract cakes. Easy after that

Postby dennispc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:01 pm

As someone who loves liquorice, I didn't realise about blood pressure, hope that doesn't mean I should stop drinking Pukka's peppermint and liquorice tea!

Apple compote. This time of year I use three Bramley Apples for an Apple Compote, plus a dessert apple, adding a few sultanas, three cloves and some brown sugar, probably two dessert spoons worth. I’d like to leave out the sugar, but realise that would make it very sharp. Would cinnamon take the edge off it, and if so, how much?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:23 pm

I sometimes put a small amount of cinnamon in stewed apple - no more than half a teaspoonful at the most - I don't think it would alter the sweetness or acidity really but why not try it with slightly less sugar? In my wholefood days when sugar was not used, we added sweet cicely to that sort of thing. I'm not convinced it made much difference!

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:54 pm

Yes, I agree with EM, why not just try with roughly half to begin with? And/Or add an extra sweet apple and a few more sultanas?
I don't make stewed apple per se but always put a bit of cinnamon in apple crumble when I have access to Bramleys.
Asda online unfortunately doesn't offer Bramleys, or any cooking apples at the moment so I'm quite envious of those of you with your own supply! Maybe they'll turn up soon ... (assuming there are people to pick them of course :( )

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:45 pm

brambles are coming into season very soon - although they are an apple you can pick earlier and just use a tad more sugar.
we have a bumper crop of massive ones this year - shame you aren't closer.
our daughter took a bagful back upcountry - didn't make a dent in the crop and the tree isn't large. i will be drying a vast amount for use when any that will be stored are gone over/used up.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Gosh. Our Bramleys finished the week before last. My freezer is stuffed to the gills.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Gosh. Our Bramleys finished the week before last. My freezer is stuffed to the gills.

There goes my hope for "seasonal" apples :D

scullion wrote:brambles are coming into season very soon - although they are an apple you can pick earlier and just use a tad more sugar.
we have a bumper crop of massive ones this year - shame you aren't closer.

:cry:

Oooh, really, really windy outside now, and very, very grey ...

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:36 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Gosh. Our Bramleys finished the week before last. My freezer is stuffed to the gills.

the heat island effect may effect yours.
Your town has been set to Harrow, the average main flowering time for Bramleys Seedling in your area will be the first week of May. Fruit will be ready for harvesting in the last week of September.

so you were probably about right allowing for the hot summer.

for us - west cornwall:
BRAMLEY'S SEEDLING
The average main flowering time for Bramleys Seedling in your area will be the second week of May. Fruit will be ready for harvesting in the first week of October.

i've tested and some are ready but if left on to the right point the sugar content is higher and better for shed storing. it looks like the best weather in the next week for picking (and therefore storing) will be tomorrow - before the wind and rain pick them for me.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:06 pm

Fascinating, scully!
Instinct would have made me think it was warmer in Cornwall although I can see that actual microclimates would affect speed of ripening ...

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:50 pm

we are much more temperate than upcountry (outside of city, heat islands) - warmer winters, cooler summers.
we have a maritime climate (moderated by the ocean) which means we get few frosts and if we get snow (a rarity) it's usually gone in a couple of hours - if it even settles.
it's an unusual summer that our temperature gets beyond 25°c - 27°c - it's much more likely to be in the low twenties
i did lose my strelizias when 'the beast from the east' hit; they had been outside but not in the more sheltered position that they usually overwintered in. my clivias have lived outside since inheriting them in 2014, again in a protected place over winter but still outside. they flower in the spring and although they get slug damage they seem to survive ok.
we usually have to keep cutting the grass through most of the winter, too.

i overheard a visitor at the beach, at the beginning of august, remark to her partner that they 'didn't expect this weather in cornwall in august' (it was mizzle-y). i laughed and said it's usually like this during the school holidays and that it's much better in may/june and september.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:45 am

Pampy, sorry it's late, only just seen your comment on remoskas... I am a R. lover! I presently have 2 a large and a small, I use both, they are brilliant and yes, they can cook anything. I make scones for brekkie on the odd occasion. They are fast! I have cooked a roast dinner for 2 peeps. Just plug in and go!!!! Very efficient with tricity easy to clean. The history is quite interesting. My 1st one lasted 5 years but I did use it at least 3 times a week. Husband bought my 1st one in Slovakia whilst on business there. half the price of lakeland. My next 2 came from Ebay, still use them a lot.

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks - that's really good to know. I've been thinking of investing in one and possibly ditching some of the many other pieces of equipment that I've got!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff