Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:56 am

I'm sure many of you have already read this. The return of hot chocolate as the trendy drink in place of coffee. I'd like to try the combinations. It feels like the return of the 18th century! I wonder if it will eventually catch on as much as coffee has.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... GTUK_email

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:19 pm

hot chocolate, in all its forms, has never gone away in this house - well, maybe not some of the really sweet types but definitely chocolate a la taza and the velvetised type.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Not my thing at all - I don't like thick sweet drinks - but I do wonder if the Spanish/Mexican chocolate + churros habit having been brought back by tourists plays a part in its revival

I don't mind an occasional cocoa, that's not so thick

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:02 pm

I've never had posh/real hot chocolate so don't really know what it's like or if milk and/or sugar are necessary . Does it have to be sweet? I got the impression it would be marketed as an alternative to coffee ( which doesn't have to be served with milk, sugar or flavourings) with perhaps new flavours added. It's pretty surprising how coffee caught on so would be interesting to see this.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:24 pm

The kinds scully is talking about - Spanish chocolate a la taza and the velvetised type are definitely quite milky (though not as obviously so as a latte for exampe), quite rich, and usually fairly sweet though that varies

https://www.spain-recipes.com/spanish-chocolate.html

Earthmaiden wrote:It's pretty surprising how coffee caught on

Why surprising? I think it is more surprising to me how long it took from the Soho coffee bars of the 1950s and frothy coffee in a Kardomah café, a Morelli's or even a Lyons being seen as something of a treat, probably even back in the 20s and 30s (I've been reading old crime novels, there's a lot of coffee going on). I've been drinking coffee all the way through from about 1960, and on the whole I'm pleased it's easier to get hold of, though much of it is plash, specifically Starbucks which seems designed to be undrinkable without milk and sugar, which ruin good coffee as far as I'm concerned.

We have only caught up with American (N & S) and European habits.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:53 pm

Yes, but it was a huge culture change and took the likes of Starbucks for it to happen.

Look forward to seeing the chocolate revolution!

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:37 pm

Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray were both £17 for a litre in Morrison's the other day.
Mothers' Ruin on special for Mothers' Day eh?

Not sure how long the offer is on for.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:47 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray were both £17 for a litre in Morrison's the other day.
Mothers' Ruin on special for Mothers' Day eh?

Not sure how long the offer is on for.

This drives me mad - my local Morrison's doesn't stock either of those gins, so never has them on offer either, I've actually complained when they have appeared on posters in the window as part of a range of drinks, but haven't appeared in store; the bright young woman on the drinks counter hadn't even heard of Tanqueray and got me to spell it once, so we were pretty certain it hadn't sold out.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:56 pm

How annoying.
I assumed the offer was national.
Clearly not. I happened to be in the Loughborough branch.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:00 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:It's pretty surprising how coffee caught on

Why surprising? I think it is more surprising to me how long it took from the Soho coffee bars of the 1950s and frothy coffee in a Kardomah café, a Morelli's or even a Lyons being seen as something of a treat, probably even back in the 20s and 30s (I've been reading old crime novels, there's a lot of coffee going on). I've been drinking coffee all the way through from about 1960, and on the whole I'm pleased it's easier to get hold of, though much of it is plash, specifically Starbucks which seems designed to be undrinkable without milk and sugar, which ruin good coffee as far as I'm concerned.

We have only caught up with American (N & S) and European habits.

Are we talking cafes or home brewed or both? We were always a coffee drinking family, growing up, and decent beans were readily available in smaller, continental food shops, and - at least in the SE - fairly decent coffee was available in cafes and coffee houses. Not talking greasy spoon caffs, here.

I'm a black coffee drinker - I don't find Starbucks undrinkable at all, just hugely overpriced - if you're talking about buying out, rather than home brewed, that is. I usually only buy Starbucks when there's nothing better around, and an extra shot of espresso in an Americano also hits the spot - my take onto planes go-to. :D I won't get started on airline coffee quality :shock: 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:28 pm

We’re talking mainly the takeout coffee culture and chain coffee shops where the focus is on the coffee, not the food - Starbucks globally, Costa, Nero etc in the UK

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:59 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:We’re talking mainly the takeout coffee culture and chain coffee shops where the focus is on the coffee, not the food - Starbucks globally, Costa, Nero etc in the UK

So am I.

Ubiquitous multinational chain coffee shops/franchises are a relatively recent (post mid '80's and later) phenom everywhere. The business model and PR drove the demand, not the other way around, especially in places like the UK where tea drinking was more common.

Great coffee in local Andalusian Spanish bar cafes for a euro! :D

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:35 pm

Can anyone recommend a Decaf Instant Coffee please?

I usually use an espresso machine for my coffee but can't manage it at the moment.

Thanks.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Nescafe Azera isn't bad (if you're ok with buying Nestle items). I drink a lot of instant coffee - I know it's not proper coffee and I treat it as a different (and easy) drink! I've got some decaf for visitors (if they don't want proper coffee with caffeine) and it tastes the same as the non-caffeinated to me.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:38 pm

We have L'or or Carte Noire - preferably, if either of them is on special offer!

Having tried, and rejected, a lot of different decaff teas, I find Yorkshire Tea best for builder's tea, and the Sainsbury Taste the Difference best for Earl Grey.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:45 pm

Yes, another decaf Azera fan here. And just to be a total Philistine I like it with Coffeemate. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:41 pm

I'll try the Azera, I like to have some instant decaff just to have something hot late in the day
Currently I have Douwe Egbert's bland, but at least I've got another jar which I have a use for

Postby Renee » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:08 pm

After years of grinding up Monsoon Malabar beans from Booths, they have their own coffee roaster there, I had coffee at a friend's house, which was Nescafé Gold Blend Alta Rica and I was sure that it was 'proper' coffee, so that's what I buy now, but only when on offer. So much easier and quicker to make.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:17 pm

I got the Kenco Milkicano decaf as it was on offer. Fairly bland, but an improvement on the Douwe Egberts

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:32 pm

I agree re Douwe Egberts - I really don't like either their decaff or their caff.

Will look out for the Azera and/or the Gold Alta Rica on offer. We're getting to the end of a large Cafe Noir (caff) so will need to replace it soon. Still got half a jar of L'Or Decaff so ok there.

And I agree, PP, coffeemate is yum!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff