Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:19 pm

I'm using M&S Italian roast at the moment.
I really like it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:31 am

It depends so much on how you make it doesn’t it?

I used to like either the house blends or the Monsooned Malabar from the Alg when I made filter coffee but neither is ideal for an espresso machine, I’m not sure exactly which to go fo

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:59 pm

Is anyone here any good on value single malt whisky? The ex is staying overnight on Wednesday (in the visitor’s wing)! And he likes his whisky. Can anyone recommend something I can get in for him that is 1. Cheap, 2. Good and 3. Preferably available in half bottles. I have all the major supermarkets nearby.

Failing that a good all rounder Scotch. It’s one of the spirits that I’ve never got into.

Postby smitch » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:43 pm

I’m probably not much use as we drink bourbon and Islay Scotch, which are not for everyone. Ocado have a lot on offer at the moment due to Father’s Day, I assume it will be the same at other supermarkets

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:55 pm

It depends on what he likes - to oversimplify there are the soft smooth Speyside malts, there are the more astringent Highland malts, and there are the peaty, smoky island malts and most people have a definite preference

Sainsbury have the Glenmorangie from the north on offer, most malt drinkers will enjoy that, I love it, but it's where I started

Failing that Sainsbury do an own brand Speyside which is very good for the price (£21), not keen on its Highland counterpart

I once took a bottle of Glenmorangie to the French cousins, until they read the blurb on the box about 16 men of Tain making it, some hadn't realised it is an artisan product, not an industrial one, they were suitably impressed

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:39 pm

isn't stuff like whisky a really individual preference (like perfume)?
would it not be better to either ask him his preference? point out that as you don't drink it you wouldn't know what to look for - he may offer to bring a bottle and save you the trouble.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:05 pm

Just make sure not to dab any behind your ears...........

So much whisky - so little time, but as a safe bet I'd go with Glenmorangie too - nothing not to like if you're into whisky.

Postby patpoyntz » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:05 pm

I agree with Sue, Glenmorangie is very good…(it’s our local distillery) and I think any malt whisky drinker would enjoy it. It comes in many guises…different casks and ages, but if you can get one on special, then I’d go for it. Otherwise I think most people would like a Speyside rather than an island malt, they can be quite difficult I think. Aldi do a good Soeyside malt at a very good price.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:49 pm

It's always nice to talk about refreshing Summer drinks, given that tomorrow is promising to be scorching! I have a feeling we had a thread on them on Wildfood.

I've just made up my favourite iced tea - not unlike Lipton's, except without the extraordinarily high sugar content.

Chilled (decaff) Earl Grey with a dash of squash - currently Asda's High Fruit White Grape and Peach. Unfortunately it does have some artificial sweetener or other, I'll get something else next time that doesn't.

What other ideas out there?

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 am

Iced tea is always good, KC2. I like orange pekoe and I like mine without any sugar at all, poured over ice with a nice wedge of lemon. OH likes it sweet.

My go to summer cold drink is a tall glass of ice, lime wedges, squeezed, topped up with sparkling water.

This is one I saw on Serious Eats a couple of years ago (before it got bought out and ruined IMO). Been meaning to try it but never have any black salt.
https://www.seriouseats.com/nimbu-soda

I've posted this before but re-posting as it's so seriously good - best iced coffee. I sometimes blitz it all in the blender like granita.
https://www.seriouseats.com/japanese-style-iced-coffee

Blitzted Lassi is really good, too. Measure ice to fill a tall glass, dump into a blender, add some plain yogurt (about 150 - 200ml give or take) and a good pinch of salt. Blend and pour back into the glass with a sprinkle or ground cumin.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:31 am

Oooooh, the blitzed Lassi sounds delicious, ZC, must give that a go when I've made enpough space in the freezer for ice cubes again. We replaced them with food when I did a large COOK order a while ago and haven't yet eaten up the duck breasts and something else, can't quite remember what, it's been the wrong weather!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:22 pm

I tend to have iced water with an espresso on the side

Re Nimbus, in Kerala which is the only bit of India I’ve been to, lime +soda was served with salt and/or sugar but it was ordinary sea salt, not black salt, same in Myanmar

I had a San Pellegrino orange + pomegranate soda in a can yesterday, pretty good for a can

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:42 pm

We took a pack of San Pell blood orange soda to some friends the other day - as it was all I could get in the Sainsbury's I happened to be in.
It had a mixed reception, with some finding it too sharp.

It was quite astringent, but we quite liked it, although I'm not sure I'd necessarily choose it over other flavours. Like the sound of yours, Sue. Will bear that in mind next time I'm getting something similar.

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:03 pm

I really like the San Pelligrino lemon and blood orange because it is so sharp. I don’t drink it often as it still has sugar in it but really enjoy the treat when I do.

It’s very grey and overcast here but fierce hot, the kind of humidity that needs a thin to clear it.

I’m drinking chilled tap water with ice and a slice.

BB

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:59 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.
Iced tea is always good, KC2. I like orange pekoe and I like mine without any sugar at all, poured over ice with a nice wedge of lemon. OH likes it sweet.

My go to summer cold drink is a tall glass of ice, lime wedges, squeezed, topped up with sparkling water.

This is one I saw on Serious Eats a couple of years ago (before it got bought out and ruined IMO). Been meaning to try it but never have any black salt.
https://www.seriouseats.com/nimbu-soda

I've posted this before but re-posting as it's so seriously good - best iced coffee. I sometimes blitz it all in the blender like granita.
https://www.seriouseats.com/japanese-style-iced-coffee

Blitzted Lassi is really good, too. Measure ice to fill a tall glass, dump into a blender, add some plain yogurt (about 150 - 200ml give or take) and a good pinch of salt. Blend and pour back into the glass with a sprinkle or ground cumin.

Zerocook, where do you buy Orange Pekoe from ? I can't find it locally.

I usually drink (hot) coffee black, strong and freshly brewed, but was also going to say how much I like an iced coffee too.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:05 pm

On our designated alcohol free days our usual dinner drinks are ginger beer for me and lemonade for J.

Last week we had Fever Tree Mexican lime soda with our fish salad.
It was delicious.

It would probably make a good, if inauthentic, Tom Collins.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:11 pm

WWordsworth wrote:On our designated alcohol free days our usual dinner drinks are ginger beer for me and lemonade for J.

Last week we had Fever Tree Mexican lime soda with our fish salad.
It was delicious.

It would probably make a good, if inauthentic, Tom Collins.

Is that the FT Mediterranean soda ? Goes great with Lone Wolf Lime and Cactus Gin ;) :thumbsup

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Nope, Mexican not Mediterranean.

Your combination sounds good though.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Should be able to get hold of orange pekoe, Pat, tho local is very relative. Lots online. Which can also count as local :lol: :-D Typhoo and others do large boxes of tea bags, which is what I use.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 pm

Both Twinings and Whittard’s have “Ceylon Orange Pekoe” in their ranges

Previous

Return to Other Stuff