Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:29 pm

Pat, this is the Pieris I mentioned on the other thread.

I actually would appreciate some advice on it.

Can I/should I cut it back a bit? It has been growing well since I got it in March. On one hand, I don't want it to outgrow its pot; on the other, I don't want to harm it!

Thx!
Attachments
Pieris Oct 2021.jpg
Pieris Oct 2021.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 3055 times

Postby miss mouse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 pm

Noooo, don't cut it back. The roots will outgrow the pot unless you want to take up bonsai and root pruning, I have no clue about that. Could you plant it in the garden and have a new plant in the pot? They grow perfectly well in open ground IME. The acid/alkali soils malarky is hugely over-blown IME.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:21 pm

Most broad leaved evergreens such as pieris seem to be best not pruned as such but dead headed back after flowering and trimmed and shaped as you do that, if you cut it now you might lose the embryo flowers waiting for next spring

A quick google suggests this does apply to pieris specifically, as well as to choisya etc to which I’ve applied it in the past

Postby miss mouse » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:A quick google suggests this does apply to pieris specifically, as well as to choisya etc to which I’ve applied it in the past

Choisya, aka Mexican Orange, is very forgiving IME. Unlike Pieris which can thrive or keel over IME I have never known Pieris to be pruned beyond cutting out weak or dead branches and then with a very light hand.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:02 am

There are some Pieris hedges round here, so they must take a far bit of chopping- the hedge round Clapton Ponds wa cut late spring iirc

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:42 am

My Choisya is flowering!! Mad, or what? :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:40 pm

My Pieris plants are in the borders. I have never pruned them, but they do respond well to a feed in the spring.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:58 pm

chillies Hungarian Black.jpg
chillies Hungarian Black.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

It's getting chilli (see what I did there :lol: ) out on the terrace so we've picked the last of the Hungarian Black chillies. Love these ... full of chilli flavour but not 'burny' so great for those who love chillies but whose innards object to fire. They're also really great to use raw for dishes like Thai salads etc. I'll definitely grow these again.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:59 pm

I’m going to have to pick mine
I am left with one each of Italian pepperoncini and piment d’Espelette so should likewise be tasty but not super hot, something ate most of my plants, next year will spray with soap as it happened last year too but I’ve not caught the culprit

I tried putting a piment in the fruit bowl before, but it didn’t ripen, they have changed colour since then so worth another try. The pepperoncini are ripening to red

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:18 pm

Gorgeous colander of chillies - wonderful colours - I might just have to have a bash at growing those black ones next year - I love mulato chilli for the same reason - great flavour but not hot.

My wallflowers are in flower..... :?

Trying to decide what to do with two lovely canna lillies in pots, I usually just cut them down & winter in the garage but potted them on into much bigger pots this year & they are now massive, definitely too big for the garage so I'm thinking of moving them up against a back fence out of the wind & bubble-wrapping the pots, then running out with fleece to cover if the temp drops.
Do you think they will survive? I'd hate to lose them now.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 pm

My hungarian blacks were dissappointingly mild. But the Spangles Twilight were hotter than expected.

I froze a couple of kilos of assorted chillies, but there are still some to pick. I might try drying some if I get round to picking them. I gave a plant covered with chillis to my young gardener - I have too many. I will have a go at overwintering some of them, I think.

I have had some wallflowers flowering for a while, now. I've not grown them before so thought perhaps they were supposed to. Hopefully they will again in the spring? (If not exhausted.) Some of last year's narcissi and alliums are showing sign too. Definitely not supposed to.

edit: ah they are not supposed to flower twice, full stop? But can be a short lived perennial. We shall see... I have some new ones to plant too.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:14 pm

They have the odd flower or two at various times during the year, but these are in full flower - can't detect any scent & usually they're very strong scented, they put on a brilliant show at the end of May & I was expecting to replace them now - but they look like they're going forrit!

I have already bought new ones to replace but might have to rethink where to plant them - probably pots now.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:14 pm

I may have panicked too soon on the chilli front - they have speeded up since I last checked them thoroughly on Thursday

The piments look quite like Suffs less ripe Hungarian chillies but I think they are fully ripe, will try to do something with one tomorrow
About as many again to pick later, not a bountiful harvest like Suffs'!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:30 pm

Another lovely pic of peppers - they're very photogenic.....!

I will definitely have a crack at growing some next year!

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:41 pm

What a wonderful crop of chillies, Suffs! Are they in a sheltered spot on your terrace?

You're doing well with yours, also Sue!

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Yes they spent the spring in the studio but once they were potted on at the beginning of June they went out onto the terrace in the southeast facing corner and they’ve been there until this week. They really have been splendid. Handsome plants too with dark stems and leaves. 8-)

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Are you going to overwinter any, Suffs?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:52 pm

Sadly the piments are virtually heat free, they are fully ripe, I can tell from the seeds, but they taste much the same as Romano peppers

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:53 pm

herbidacious wrote:Are you going to overwinter any, Suffs?

No, I can’t be doing with whitefly in the studio and we don’t have a frostfree greenhouse.

Postby scullion » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:41 pm

my first crop -
saffron  1.jpeg
saffron 1.jpeg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 2705 times

saffron 2.jpeg
saffron 2.jpeg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

i can't believe how stupidly happy i am - hopefully there'll be more otherwise they are at the expensive end of the most expensive spice!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff