Where have you eaten out today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Stokey Sue

Re: Where have you eaten out today?

Post by Stokey Sue »

Sunday lunch sounds great Suffs

The only pizza I've had with too much cheese on it was in a very popular neighbourhood "Italian" in Sheffield - the aim seemed to be to make a pizza as much like cheese on toast as possible, including the use of a lot of medium cheddar
RockyBVI

Post by RockyBVI »

We went here https://www.wildbytart.com/restaurant with friends on Thursday. Shared lots of things - the whipped feta and flatbread with lamb ragu were very memorable.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I used to ask for extra cheese on pizzas...

Ooh that looks nice, Rocky. I would like to try that. Will mention this to T. This is the sort of food I like that is almost totally lacking in SE London post Covid, but maybe it will return. People have to get bored of burgers at some point?!?
Cheezy_Jazzy

Post by Cheezy_Jazzy »

It's happened a few times with the result of me being ill afterwards. If I have a homemade pizza there is hardly any cheese on it.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Have had two nice meals in two days.
Friday night we had dinner in Numidie in Crystal Palace. I never really want to go here because the veggie options don't appeal based on reading the menu, and it must be over 12 years since we last went, but the food turned out to be really very tasty.
I had roasted, bread and olives and other pickled things (T had a really good babaganoush) then stuffed butternut squash. T had shakshuka.

https://numidie.co.uk/menu

Lunch in Franklin's i East Dulwich today.
I had chargrilled asaparagus with a poached egg and hollandaise, with herby buttery new potatoes. Bread and butter to shttps://www.franklinsrestaurant.com/menustart.
T had Welsh Rarebit.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We had Betty’s afternoon tea at HC, tea/dinner afterwards was a very subdued affair. The diet will have to restart tomorrow.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

How nice. I'd love to do that.

We had lunch in Cafe St Germain in Crystal Palace. Only realized after sitting down that we will be in its namesake - St. Germain-des-Pres (or thereabouts) in a few days. Fortunately most of the menu was not authentically French. (Given the still often relatively limited vegetarian options in Paris, unless one plans ahead, I often end up eating omelette frites and the like.)
I had an 'open baked crepe' which was basically a galette with a garlicky vegetably mixture, topped with goats cheese. It was quite nice ;) not as filling as it looked, which was a good thing.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Brasserie Blanc Beaconsfield. Absolutely brilliant. More or less the same menu as they do in what was the White Brasserie but is now something else. I had cheese soufflé and a Devon crab with mayo and frites. L went for crab bon-bons and a veggie risotto. Price including service was £51.40. Bargain for Beaconsfield and less than we paid for the awful Italin meal the other week.
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Right up my street PP lick lips lick lips lick lips
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

With sneaky parking round the back if you're early enough Pat. https://brasserieblanc.com/restaurants/beaconsfield/

Let me know next time you want a treat!
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Was going to ask about the parking... :thumbsup
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

A bit hit and miss on a workday I think. There are about 20 general spaces through the arch and round the back but there are also some dedicated spaces for other shops so you have to be a bit careful. Otherwise it's hit and miss out on the main road. We had no problems at 1pm yesterday (Bank Hol) but it was full when we came out at 3.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Wed May 08, 2024 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

I spent a big chunk of yesterday at our solicitors in Manchester. Their offices just happen to be next door to The Ivy………well it would have been rude not to visit.

It was my first time at The Ivy and I was really impressed with the whole shebang. Service was impeccable, the furnishings top notch and the food gorgeous. We both ate from the set menu, three courses for just under £25. Excellent value. We had the salmon fish cakes, shepherds pie which was divine - and a chocolate hazelnut sundae. We also had a cocktail, some extra vegetables and a pot of mint tea, £73 in total. In fact we enjoyed it so much I’m sure we will try the one in York.

https://ivy-menus-2.theloyaltyco.app/wp ... _2024_.pdf

BB
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

That sounds excellent BB, did you need to book?
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

Stokey Sue wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:37 pm That sounds excellent BB, did you need to book?

Nope just wandered in, I’d say it was about 40% full at just after 1pm

It gave a very Zedels vibe, same kind of decor and service levels.

BB
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

I think they are a bit hit and miss BB. You were lucky as the one in St Alban’s isn’t great. Be interesting to see what York is like.
WolfGirl

Post by WolfGirl »

I’ve been to the York branch a few times. I can remember one time it was all a bit average but the other times it’s been great. Probably been about half a dozen times.
Service is always very friendly.
aero280

Post by aero280 »

Today I will having lunch at the Ace Cafe. :)
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

On Thursday night we had dinner in Maison Cluny
https://www.maison-cluny.fr/menus-carte/#menu-446698
We started off with Socca and falafel (latter really very good) which we shared, then both had the veggie main: le Végé gourmand aux légumes de saison, emmental, céréales et bouillon which was nicer than the English translation made it sound!
I had La mousse choco onctueuse aux mendiants caramélisés for dessert (chocolate mousse, basically).

Lunch on Friday was in a Jewish cafe in the Marais - plate of meze type things.

Dinner was in the Polidor
https://www.polidor.com/en/home/
They are a bit rude/brusque in there and we had to share a table. The veggie option was butternut squash stuffed with lentils and feta (?). I had a crepe with chocolate and cream for dessert.

Saturday lunch was at Maison de la Truffe on Place de Madeleine (might not have if I had noticed the foie gras on the menu, but I didn't.)
This was really very good:
complimentary sourdough bread with truffle infused olive oil
gazpacho (it was perfect weather for it) with a long thin 'toast' with truffly cream cheese and truffle shavings
risotto with truffle and truffle shavings.
All delicious

And the Maille shop is open again so I bought some (very expensive) on tap fancy mustard in a nice green jar afterwards.

Thinking about it I don't think there were any French people in any of these restaurants :? Mind you we've eaten in central London and been the only non-tourists.

We travelled back first class (I had a voucher...) and had a creditable meal of a platter of marinated and roasted veg with goats cheese and black olive tapenade (a kind of desconstructed salad), with bread and butter, followed by 'red fruit tart'.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

lick lips lick lips lick lips lick lips Herbi