Register

Dips etc

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Dips etc

Postby Pampy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:13 pm

I thought that beans had to be boiled for 10 minutes to remove toxins - do you do this before simmering in the slow cooker?

Postby miss mouse » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Pampy wrote:I thought that beans had to be boiled for 10 minutes to remove toxins -

I don't think they all do but I always do and the packets seem to say 10 min boil for all of them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:57 pm

My bible for beans is Rose Elliot's Bean Book

To paraphrase what she says, all the kidney bean family should be boiled for 10 minutes to make them safe (denature the lectins if you want to be specific), so you might as well treat them all the same rather than worrying about which are which

Makes sense to me

She also says that soaking and discarding the soaking liquid may make them marginally more digestible

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:00 pm

I learned via Rose Elliott too! I've since been told that it is only red kidney beans which really need the 10 minute boil but would do them all anyway just in case.

On my own and not needing to be too pennypinching I think tinned beans are wonderful and save so much planning and steam ;). I'm sure there are occasions when dried ones are better or more authentic.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:23 pm

I must make a batch of red beans and rice, the version I was taught to make by a woman of Trinidadian heritage. You have to cook the beans from scratch as you cook them with aromatics and use the liquor to cook the final dish

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Pampy wrote:I thought that beans had to be boiled for 10 minutes to remove toxins - do you do this before simmering in the slow cooker?

No need if they're soaked/drained/rinsed. Do you soak your beans overnight?

EM - totally agree on buying tinned kidney beans. Others are defbetter cooked from scratch imo. Time and inclination of course.

Postby scullion » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:55 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:To paraphrase what she says, all the kidney bean family should be boiled for 10 minutes to make them safe (denature the lectins if you want to be specific), so you might as well treat them all the same rather than worrying about which are which

Makes sense to me

and to me - ten minutes, from dry, at pressure and turn off for soak/continued cook while pressure slowly decreases - saves fuel, too.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Prompted by the conversation on here I've just ordered Rose Elliott's Bean Book! A companion for Not Just a Load of Old Lentils that I've had for ever!

Back in the 70s I always used to cook my own pulses - I can't remember if that was out of necessity or choice - were the tinned ones as easily available and relatively inexpensive as they are now?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting it!

Postby Pampy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:41 pm

ZeroCook wrote:
Pampy wrote:I thought that beans had to be boiled for 10 minutes to remove toxins - do you do this before simmering in the slow cooker?

No need if they're soaked/drained/rinsed. Do you soak your beans overnight?

EM - totally agree on buying tinned kidney beans. Others are defbetter cooked from scratch imo. Time and inclination of course.

According to the NHS, kidney beans should be soaked for at least 12 hours, then boiled vigorously for 10 minutes before simmering until they are tender.
Soya beans should be treated the same, except they should be boiled for an hour before simmering.
More info. here https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/b ... nutrition/

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:39 pm

The Been Book arrived today and I looked through it to try to find the definitive canned equivalent and couldn't find it listed anywhere. So retro - "continental" lentils, quite a few recipes with pineapple etc ... :D

Online info seems to be all American, ie cups, ounces, but I think metric equiv 100g dried beans = 1 standard can of cooked beans? (Drained weight.)

Will that conversion work with different beans or does one need to be more specific? Funnily enough I neveer use tinned lentils.

I will write it in the book on the front page so I never need to look it up again!

Postby miss mouse » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:15 pm

IIRC, soaked and cooked weight is approx 4X drained can weight. Lentils I have no idea, I have a fab red lentil recipe, Katie Stewart, the red lentils are soaked overnight in stock (yes, I know they don't need to be) and the soup is great.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:22 pm

If cooking beans from scratch I use a scant half cup per can in the recipe - a can of cooked beans is conveniently the same as a cup in an American recipe

A lot of recipe writers seem to ignore the difference between gross and drained weight, and tell you to use 1 can as if it were equivalent to 300 or 400 g cooked beans.
Idiots.
This is how I do it
One (nominal 400g) can beans = ~240g drained cooked beans = 1 cup cooked beans = a scant half cup dry = ~100g dry

Someone here did the work, but I find my rule of thumb works for me, it’s approximate but as Peg Bracken so rightly said, you aren’t splitting the atom
https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/is- ... dried.html

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:27 am

That's brilliant, thanks miss mouse and Stokey Sue :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox