Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Thanks Pampy. I imagine food slips out of that flipper but it's hardly an expensive mistake. I haven't found anything else I fancy that doesn't have some lousy reviews, so I'll let you know in six weeks or so (delivery time). A search on tongs did bring up a snake catcher if anyone's interested ;)

Meanwhile, I came across this list of gadgets - some decidedly silly :D Again some lousy reviews for some I've looked at, so I won't be increasing kitchen fodder with them:
https://www.standard.co.uk/shopping/esb ... 97316.html

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:54 pm

What a wonderful selection of things I dont want/need! I am fascinated by the egg shell slicer which appears to take the upper shell off a boiled egg with a clean cut leaving the egg underneath intact.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:04 am

Most of them seem like a waste of brightly coloured plastic

I do quite fancy one of these,, basically lots of egg or crumpet rings in one sheet

https://cookabo.com/products/flip-cooker

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 am

Pampy wrote:
jeral wrote:I have a lightweight foldable "old lady" trolley @ 1.78kg. Only two wheels although I find it easy enough to pull up stairs, it's trickier lifting it down stairs with heavy contents.

A gadget I fancy are these simple flat lifting & flipping tongs, not so much the strangely huge £16.95 price tag. Anyone know if sensibly priced ones are around please?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FDVEFC/ ... _lig_dp_it
Ta.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I didn't know I wanted one of those ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:47 am

I've got one of those pancake ring things, Sue. I was given it. I've tried using it but with limited success, it's harder than it looks in the pictures. Definitely one of those things that clutters up a cupboard!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:43 pm

"Easy clean Herb Scissors".
Yep, I´ve got a pair, gathering dust in the cupboard. A beautifully complicated waste of time :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:49 pm

An egg poacher (the sort with four cups) might be more reliable than the ring flipper. One review said it didn't make little pancakes but one big one as (like silicone rings) the mixture travels under them.

PatsyMFagan wrote:I didn't know I wanted one of those ;)

Assuming trolley, I didn't either until I tripped one day whilst carrying a bag in each hand and told someone who helped me up that the weight was holding my feet down. He said I should get a trolley, to my chagrin, but a year later I decided he was right. Useful to stop and lean on if walking uphill too.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:20 pm

That is just what happens with my pancake ring flipper thing jeral. Sue mentioned crumpets, that might work but the sides aren't very high so they'd probably splurge over the top.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:50 pm

On Australian Masterchef tonight a contestant made some excellent looking noodles using a potato ricer. I'm tempted to try making a batch of sev with mine (they're basically fried chick pea flour noodles) while I'm waiting for the proper sev maker to arrive - although they'd be quite fat ones.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:26 am

As I’ve said before my potato ricer has a disc for making spätzle, which are a kind of noodle

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Just ordered one of these for making homemade chickpea sev "noodles" on my Chickpea Project. Another "use it once then it collects dust at the back of the cupboard"? Homemade Bombay mix sounds like a good idea though.

i have just made some of the sev from the you tube link you gave. i used our potato ricer - they were really good. i now don't envy you your gadget!

Postby scullion » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:02 pm

this is another load of the sev, i've just made, using a potato ricer.
it's half quantities of sakkarins linked recipe, in a (approximately) 7" bowl.

IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG (127.7 KiB) Viewed 4266 times

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:33 pm

I see that the newspapers are reporting the death of Sir Terence Conran. I was a student and then a flat-sharer in the seventies and spent much time coveting things in Habitat. My best friend still uses a chicken brick I bought her then as a birthday present! Those were the days.

RIP Sir T. Any of you still have Habitat or Heal's stuff?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:21 pm

My cutlery is Habitat Brighton, it's been going for years, I love it, I'm sure I have other bits as well, I certainly have a serving platter OH bought in Paris habitat decades ago, it is admired

I remember my parents making a pilgrimage to Brighton when Habitat opened there to buy a light for the hall and some other bits and pieces

A college contemporary (we were only a short way away at UCL & UCH) had a Saturday job there, which turned into a proper career, I think she'd originally intended to be a geography teacher

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:32 pm

I gave my Chicken Brick to my sister when I got my Instant Pot, courtesy of PPig's Costco card ;) :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Sad news. The only Habitat stuff I've got left was bought more recently when they weren't proper Habitat any more - some cutlery and bedding. How wonderful it was back in the day. I saved a catalogue from the 1970s to look at one day day in the future and smile at. The day hasn't come yet, all the items in there would still look quite reasonable in a modern home (probably because they'd be considered retro :lol: ).
We had quite a bit of furniture from Heals when I was growing up but that was before Conran was involved with them. I was a school with someone whose step-father was from the Heal family, I went to their London house once in the 60s, as you might expect, it was gorgeous.

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:53 pm

An erstwhile next door neighbour, retired, worked at Heal's and ditto, home furniture to envy even long after and despite the new look Habitat introduced. Probably the same as the envy G-Plan invoked if not made of money.

We'd gone with sort of antique solid wood at the time suited to a Victorian house and Habitat was great for lamps and light fittings for that newly coined word "eclectic" that modernised a room.

I still have a one-piece wooden pastry board that hasn't warped or cracked despite its years. It wasn't cheap then, but would probably need a bank loan now ;)

Postby scullion » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:32 pm

not cooking related but i have one of the tord boontje 'garland' lampshade push-outs, from habitat, fifteen years or more ago
it's still in it's flat state as i'd intended to do something with it that i didn't/haven't yet got round to.
i see they are being sold again, on tord's website (rather more than i paid!).

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:06 pm

We still use a rustic jug. I've always hand-washed it, which is probably why it's survived. Back then, a dishwasher was virtually completely unheard of - by me, at least.
OH reminded me that I gave him a chicken brick but we certainly haven't still got that.

I have got some old-fashioned dark brown casserole pots, which I think may have come from Habitat. The sort that could only go in the oven and had a little hole in the lid to let the steam out. There is an oval one and a crockpot shaped one. I must admit I haven't used them for years.

We also had Habitat bed sheets that bit the dust ages ago but had one of their single duvet covers until relatively recently.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox