Register

Brunch

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Brunch

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:18 pm

What about eggs cocette EM? Much less faff than trying to cook individual eggs as can be prepped in advance and just popped in the oven for 15minutes. Last year when I was in Fife we cooked a brunch on the Sunday and made those as part of though in a motley assortment of dishes rather than neat ramekins using ham, creme fraiche and cheddar as that's what we had. They were really lovely.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:41 pm

That sounds lovely LTC! :yum

Or you could make a big Spanish-style omelette EM, and cut it into squares to eat cold on cocktail sticks?
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Pampy :
too dense and sweet for me.

Sounds like my brother´s ex-wife 8-)

Here´s another idea, but using a baguette (or another type of long loaf). split the baguette horizontally and toast gently. Mix cream cheese with chopped parsley, dill and a tsp of finely diced onion, and spread generously on the baguette. Add smoked salmon (or any other smoked fish)and a few tiny capers. Top with a poached egg. Good with Prosecco or champagne.

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:25 pm

If you like smoked salmon, a reminder that Costco stock Loch Fyne Salmon Trimmings. They come in completely random bits and sizes sealed in a vac pack, but they come at £8.95/ kilo, instead of the prepared slices which are three times the price.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Sounds lovely, I have to drive at least 40 miles to get to a Costco.

All these ideas are making me want brunch every day. I think, as someone said, that you can get mini bagels. It's interesting how different people's tastes are, it would be hard to do a nice brunch to suit us lot!

I'm going to own up to never having made eggs en cocotte. Quite a nice idea.

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:52 pm

I don't actually know what eggs on cocotte are!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:57 pm

aero280 wrote:If you like smoked salmon, a reminder that Costco stock Loch Fyne Salmon Trimmings. They come in completely random bits and sizes sealed in a vac pack, but they come at £8.95/ kilo, instead of the prepared slices which are three times the price.

I looked for those at Bushey last Friday and couldn't spot them Aero.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:58 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:I don't actually know what eggs on cocotte are!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/5a/f3 ... 51a190.jpg

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:03 pm

:lol: :lol:

MM - they're eggs baked in ramekin dishes with cream and things.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/how ... cotte.html

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
aero280 wrote:If you like smoked salmon, a reminder that Costco stock Loch Fyne Salmon Trimmings. They come in completely random bits and sizes sealed in a vac pack, but they come at £8.95/ kilo, instead of the prepared slices which are three times the price.

I looked for those at Bushey last Friday and couldn't spot them Aero.

I didn't get any this week, but they were on a high shelf on the end of the isle opposite the cooked chicken rotisserie. But they don't always have stock, and when they do, it's not always in the same place.

They have stopped selling the Abrahams smoked Bavarian ham since lockdown, too, :(

Postby Amyw » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:20 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.

Another vote for smoked salmon here. Good place to begin.<mb badly in need of some heart emoticons!>

Clive mentioned blinis, caviar, sour cream. Luca has a great blini recipe as I recall.

A table full of mostly bought bits. What I wouldn't be able to resist: warm blinis (bough or made day before), fresh bagels sliced across into little rounds, pot of sour cream, chives, lemon wedges, pot of cream cheese, pot or two of caviar (I get the cheap stuff all the time, red, black, whatever), smoked salmon, maybe a pot of smoked mackerel or smoked trout pate, pickles or cornichons, good bowl of warm scrambled eggs, warm croissants (lidl does some of the best high street ones, seriously), some nice preserves, some soft spready cheese, bits of fresh fruit, maybe pains aux chocolat or similar to share, glasses of iced cold water plain or sparkling or pressed apple juice or fresh orange juice, coffees or teas, bone dry cold cava or white wine. Good company. Almost zero cooking. Heaven.

When’s my invite , that sounds perfect to me ! Years ago , I bought a pack of raisin and cinnamon bagels that were quite nice with peanut butter, but I wasn’t overwhelmed by them . Very retro but I quite like melba toast with garlic and herb cream cheese and smoked salmon or even some bruschetta as long as they’re not too dense

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 pm

Anytime Amyw. I went off on a big tangent there! :D One of my favourite types of food groups. I do mini versions.

Bought bagels are often almost not bagels imo - huge, sweetened, and can be claggy. When I feel the urge I make NY rye sourdough bagels. A production but I overnight the dough which simplifies the process. Speaking of which my starter needs refreshing ... could be a prompt for bagels ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:48 am

These are proper beigels of the kind that have kept generations of taxi drivers going. Not glossy, not sweet, or overly chewy, Brick Lane Beigel bakery has been going for a long time, and pre-lockdown really was 24 hour

https://bricklanebeigel.co.uk/

Proper lox beigel

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:20 am

Oooh, I'd love to go there. I have never had a 'real' beigel. Maybe a board meet one day if this wretched virus ever calms down :(.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:20 am

Very proper. Know the place very well. Haven't been for years. Glad they're delivering- would hate to see them go out of business. Would have to order a salt beef with a pickle, a lox and a chopped herring. Yum.

EM you must. Or get a delivery :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:33 am

I don’t think they deliver as far as EM’s house

I actually prefer salt beef on rye to a beigel (pronounced by-gal)

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:23 am

A favourite brunch (after 12 noon) is a Greek meze. For four people it's more about having different choices (sliced meat, cheese, prawns, salad and dip items) than facing a table groaning with the weight. This one has a helpful list if you scroll down: https://sugarandcharm.com/greek-mezze-platter

I buy artichoke hearts and baby sweetcorn in tins incidentally.

Aside from making dips and boiling eggs the day before, it's mainly assembly.

Dessert can be light cake to soak up any booze lol, or apple turnovers with unsweetened squirty cream (always fun).

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 am

Squirty cream? :o. I hope that anyone doing brunch ever again will refer to all these lovely ideas. Brunch really is an excuse for very nice 'picky' bits isn't it!

I don't think the Deliveroo chap on his bike would relish a 200 mile round trip with a beigel :lol:. I see they do fillings such as Nutella as well as the more traditional. That doesn't sound nice.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:10 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Sounds lovely, I have to drive at least 40 miles to get to a Costco.

And you would need to be a member ... at about £25 (when I last subscribed ) :o .. it will take a long time to offset the cost if you don't have a large family .. ;)

In fact I don't even know how you can buy membership these days if you don't work for a relevant company, or run a business :roll: :?:

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:33 am

They don’t seem to be very fussy at Bushey Pat but much more so at Hayes. We’ve got trade membership and it must be 12 years at least since OH gave up the business.

And each member can take in a guest. If you’re a Trade Member you can get cards for up-to eight others, at a price cheaper than standard membership - a tenner I think. We stopped doing that though as the kids never paid us back. :roll: :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox