Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Book Club

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:If you don’t like the brightness of a screen for reading, most ebook readers can be set to reverse colour, white print on black background which causes much less glare and dazzle, and then with Kindle you can choose font size, font style and adjust the brightness. Actually Kindle have recently upgraded their accessibility options in the iPad app, and it’s now very good

In fact a couple of people with good eyesight who have seen me reading with those settings have found that they can comfortably read on a phone screen with them, though hard going on white screen

By the heck Sue that's a great tip! With reading glasses my eyesight is pretty decent but I just tried this with the Kindle app on my tablet and it's much easier on the eyes :thumbsup .

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:13 pm

Ellow!

I got a GREAT food related book today. Menus That Made History.
The collection is very eclectic, from the last menu served on the Titanic, to the Last Supper, from what Otzi the iceman ate for his last meal, to what Ted Bundy ate for his (before HE ended up in the Hot Seat.

There are even some recipes.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:59 am

Glad you like the tip slimpersoninside

That sounds like an interesting mix Grassy

I’m on the 3rd of Dorothy L Sayers Peter Wimsey books. Slightly shocked by the consumption of Chablis with Tripes à la mode de Caen, not sure if Dorothy thinks this is a good idea or she’s gently laughing at the idea

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:18 pm

a bargain for those brasserie Zédel fans - https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Brasserie-Zedel.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I got a GREAT food related book today. Menus That Made History.

One in that vein that I've got is "A History of Food in 100 Recipes"" by William Sitwell. Very readable.

Chapter 90 is Joan's Masterchef-winning recipe (Quails with Couscous)...

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:24 pm

What interesting foodie books! I think it is the ambiance which makes Brasserie Zedel really special. I wonder if the food, eaten at the kitchen table would seem quite so good (not that I'd turn my nose up at it of course!).

Postby dennispc » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Budleigh Salterton is where Hilary Mantel lives and she organised its Literary Festival. A friend tells me it's free on-line at

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.budlitfe ... gramme.pdf

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 pm

thanks, there are some interesting speakers. i've downloaded the programme.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm

I’ve powered through Wolf Hall in the last week or so. I’m now desperate to read the second instalment but I might go with an easier read first. I’ve got the tv program downloaded so I’ll watch that in the meantime.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:14 pm

Look what I got from Poundland! I didn't realise they were up to Volume 3, I have the original book too.

Although I'm not really much of a London person these days any more, sad to say.

P.S. It was £1.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks Scully, I have just browsed that book site and found loads of books I must never buy for him because if I did, nothing would ever get done around the estate !!!!!! I did like the look of the book, how to select your next cat !!!!! It'll be a moggie if it ever happens again......

Postby scullion » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:03 am

i have just finished a book called 'city of shadows' by 'ariana franklin' - a pseudonym of diana norman, the wife of barry norman.
i'd not heard of her before - a good read.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:37 pm

I was reading City of Girls, Elizabeth Gilbert but wasn't really enjoying it so put it on hold. Now reading, and very much enjoying, The Golem and the Jinni, Helene Wecker. Gentle (so far) fantasy. Just what I need.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:39 pm

I have just listened to the Victoria Wood biography on Audiobook. It was over 20 hours and I couldn’t stop listening. Very, very good if you like the genre. The narration swaps about from actor/friend as well which adds to its charm.

Let’s Do It. Jasper Rees..

https://www.waterstones.com/book/lets-d ... 1409184096

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:25 am

Has anyone been following any of the various TV, radio or internet book clubs?

I’ve heard some of the BBC2 one, Between the Covers with Sara Cox, and the book lists on the programme’s site are a good resource
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -our-world

One of the books they recommended is a whodunnit/thriller called Fifty Fifty by Steve Cavanagh, so that’s what I’m reading. So far (not very far) looking good

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:48 am

i do listen and watch but made a pact with myself a few years ago that i would get my 'modern' fiction from charity shops, use places like project gutenberg/online archive etc for free ebooks (i miss the adelaide uni ebook site) and only buy reference books new (which includes cook books...).
unfortunately i haven't been to a charity shop since february but one of the village shops has a free book swap box.
i do have a vast collection of ebooks given to me a few years ago so i won't run out of reading material any time soon.
i'm on to another of the ariana franklin books, a second one set in the reign of henry 2nd - i think you'd like them if you enjoyed the challoner/barttholemew books, aero.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:04 am

I must look out for her Scully. My kind of thing.

That list seems to have all options covered Sue. I see that the second series of His Dark Materials starts on BBC next week . I thought the first was terrific. So much better than the awful film.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:01 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Has anyone been following any of the various TV, radio or internet book clubs?

I’ve heard some of the BBC2 one, Between the Covers with Sara Cox, and the book lists on the programme’s site are a good resource
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -our-world

I'm really impressed with that programme.

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:23 am

i have five of her books as ebooks (epub), if you read on an e-reader or computer, if you want them, pepper.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:27 am

Is an ereader a Kindle?

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff