Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Cheese and onion pasties , cheese scones and a sticky toffee upside down cake Image

Anything to make a 120 hour shift go quickly !!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:16 pm

The picture looks interesting. Is it the cake? 120 hour shift sucks but how lovely to be able to cook for appreciative people :newhuggy.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:03 pm

120 hours is not a shift, it's a sentence!

12 hours maybe?

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:13 pm

From what she has said before, I think Amy does extended live in shifts at the place she works.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Amyw wrote:Cheese and onion pasties , cheese scones and a sticky toffee upside down cake

What recipe did you use for the scones please Amy ? I have been making St. D's plain ones for a while now with great success, but her cheese scones use whole wheat as well as SR (white flour) .. I have only seen STRONG wholewheat flour in the shops lately. I suppose I could always just use the total weight of SR ?

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:21 pm

I like Felicity’s ‘perfect’ cheese scone recipe. You can use either SR or plain flour

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:38 pm

smitch wrote:From what she has said before, I think Amy does extended live in shifts at the place she works.

I run a house where adults with learning disabilities live . My normal shifts are 24hours at a time with a sleep in but people are off hence the 120 hour sentence :D . Roll on Wednesday when I finish at 9am, gin may be involved, possibly at 9am too !!

The cake isn’t as dark as it looks in the photo but you make a toffee sauce , put it in the bottom of the cake tin , then add a layer of apples

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/che ... on-scones- this is the recipe I used minus the bacon

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:48 pm

There's a table showing the protein (and hence gluten) strength of various flours:
https://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Flour

I don't know if this helps. It looks like wholemeal strong flour is at the high end, so a mixture of that and plain white or SR maybe, although it rather depends on what the strength is that you're seeking to create per recipe.

Postby aero280 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:49 pm

While waiting for paint to dry, I've made some seeded bread rolls for a picnic last Saturday, and now a wholemeal loaf and a smoked salmon quiche.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Not sure this counts as baking as I use a bread machine, but anyways.

Put a loaf in the machine overnight ready for 9.30ish this morning, leaving time to cool down and ready for lunch sarnies. 9.30 arrives as does a loaf cunningly disguised as a brick, I'd forgotten to add the yeast! :o . I do remember not putting the yeast in (if it's possible to remember not doing something).

Luckily we have some packs of part baked baguettes :thumbsup .

Postby aero280 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:46 pm

I reported on WF that I left my dough for ages waiting for it to prove, then I moved the bowl to make room to do something else, and found the sachet of yeast behind the bowl...

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:49 pm

aero280 wrote:I reported on WF that I left my dough for ages waiting for it to prove, then I moved the bowl to make room to do something else, and found the sachet of yeast behind the bowl...

I feel somewhat better now :oops: .

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:00 pm

This apple and banana cake is in the oven ... https://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/ap ... nana-cake/

Will report back!

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:16 pm

A wholemeal loaf, an orange cake and maybe a few biscuits.
Let's see if I run out of steam.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:32 pm

The "cake" was tasty but I'm not sure about the texture. It didn't really resemble cake at all, was more solid but very moist. It is delicious, especially with butter on it! I'm not sure if this pic will indicate what I might have done wrong!
Attachments
apple and banana cake.jpg
apple and banana cake.jpg (181.05 KiB) Viewed 4114 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Perhaps you didn't do anything wrong? The picture with the recipe looks quite a solid cake (very neat slices). Most tea breads have milk or tea or some liquid in the ingredients but this relies on fruit for moisture which could vary tremendously. I find that ground almonds change the texture somewhat as well. As long as it tastes nice ..!

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, EM! The apples were incredibly juicy - they were a couple of allegedly cooking apples although nothing like any cooking apples I'd ever seen before and not even specially sharp - and half quantities made one 2lb loaf tin. I don't think it would have fitted into a 1lb tin as they suggest.

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 pm

If the cake is too moist, it can only mean too much moisture I suppose as longer cooking wouldn't much difference.

You could try drawing some moisture out by cutting a slice, putting it on kitchen paper in the microwave with another paper on top to absorb steam and blast for 30 secs or more to see what happens once it's cooled down. Or just enjoy as is if it tastes good :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:06 pm

An elderly former neighbour, who used to be a professional cook, came round for a cup of tea this afternoon. She had a slice of the "cake" and said it was excellent, and just suggested calling it what it is, which is bread rather than cake :lol: She then said she'd recently had a very dry banana bread someone had baked and wondered how she'd managed to make it like that :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 am

I´ve always made it as "banana bread". As such, it caramelises a bit so you have a darker colour on it once baked, but if you put white apples in it, then it´s going to be white-ish.
As long as it tastes good, who cares? :gonzo :gonzo

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox