Register

Yogurt dough pizza

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Yogurt dough pizza

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:29 am

I am inspired :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Sorry, not Yoghurt Pizza, I will try it soon I promise!

aero280 wrote:It's the India Garden in Bushey

The India Garden in Bushey was my nearest Indian takeaway when I moved here 41 years ago, when there were only a handful of Indian restaurants around Watford. It always made me smile that China House was next to India Garden. Hundreds of other takeways have been and gone, but those two still remain, although there are many other nearer ones to me nowadays - although I might treat myself to their Balti meal next time I treat myself to a takeaway.

I think I've got an old India Garden menu in the loft somewhere too, although it would have been long before Baltis arrived, meanwhile here's the China House one from back when Beef Chop Suey was 95p...

China House Menu Front

China House Menu Back

Postby Binky » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:08 pm

not the best photo due to unexpected shadow, but this is what's left after our dinner - yogurt dough pizza. I made it myself so very happy with the result :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:29 pm

:yum :yum :yum

That looks delicious - I don't think I can resist trying for much longer. I have just made a large pot of ratatouille to use up a giant courgette and an over-ripe aubergine ... I think this will go very nice on a home-made pizza with the addition of (mozzerella) cheese and olives .. :clap :thumbsup :yum

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Given that my pizza dough costs me pennies (under 10p for the pizzas I've posted pix of recently), I was shocked to see "Sourdough Pizza Dough" on sale in Tesco for £2.10 a tiny pack (400g but doesn't look that much). Looking at the ingredients, the "sourdough" ingredient is given as just 3 percent.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /303731823

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:09 pm

My awful suspicion is that the ‘sourdough ingredient’ is just flavouring https://www.theguardian.com/food/shortc ... real-thing

The ingredients list is ambiguous to say the least. https://www.jusrol.co.uk/products/sourdough-pizza-base

Most Saturdays (today included) I make sourdough pizzas

220gms of ‘sourdough dough’ made with organic bread flour and good quality olive oil costs me 15p.
and makes two large rectangular pizzas 14” x 12”.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm

it had occurred to me that in those packet bread mixes that call themselves sourdough and have sourdough in the list of ingredients that they are putting in dried starter - although, of course it could just be flavouring. maybe i'll buy a packet to try it next time i see some...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:07 pm

French Cheese Queen recommended a Lidl sourdough bread mix which she thought contained dried starter but I never managed to find it, as so often with Lidl products (supposed to be a regular, not a special)

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:24 pm

it had occurred to me that in those packet bread mixes that call themselves sourdough and have sourdough in the list of ingredients that they are putting in dried starter - although, of course it could just be flavouring.

I've tried making sourdough by using a sample of a mix as a starter. I made the dough using a 500g bag of mix, baked 80% of it (400g of mix) and used the rest to make a sourdough starter. Neither the bread made from the mix nor the subsequent loaves had much of the sourdough about them. I concluded it was therefore just a flavouring. Obviously the rapid rise that the mixes have means they've got commercial yeast strains in. I've also tried using old dough methods, keeping back a proportion of dough made originally with commercial yeast, but don't get any great change in flavour or texture no matter how long I keep it. Presumably the speed with which the commercial yeasts prove means that any wild contaminants don't get the chance to develop much character of their own.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:08 pm

I noticed also that an ingredient in that pizza dough was "deactivated yeast", and wondered if THAT was there for the taste only. Note it says DEACTIVATED, not dried active...

Now I'm wondering if Liquid Smoke is real smoke or not...

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Sakkarin wrote:...[clip]...
Now I'm wondering if Liquid Smoke is real smoke or not...

What like Scotch Mist sold in tins that apprently US persons find novel?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:44 pm

I looked at the one Waitrose sell

Water, Organic Tamari Sauce (Water, Organic Soybeans, Salt), Cane Sugar, Salt, Distilled Vinegar, Caramel Colour E1500, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavour (10%) (Maltodextrin, Natural Smoke Flavour), Garlic Powder, Dried Onion

Clear as mud

I had a bottle (not this brand) and decided pimenton de la vera fulfilled all my smoke flavouring needs

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox