Register

The best thing I ate in lockdown

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The best thing I ate in lockdown

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... own-dishes

I think mine was the first time - about 3 months in - we had proper fish and chips.

Re: The best thing I ate in lockdown

Postby cherrytree » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm

We both unknowingly had Covid just before the lockdown. It was only when the loss of taste and smell became a recognised symptom that the penny dropped. Since then we’ve had the tests-to confirm it.
For a whole week when we were under the weather all we ate was Marmite on toast.

Postby Busybee » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:58 pm

After weeks/months of my own cooking we had a Chinese takeaway, sheer bliss.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:20 pm

In early lockdown there was a lot I couldn't get. I couldn't get any supermarket food at all for about 6 weeks, so many of the things that came in that first delivery were much appreciated. Mozzarella springs to mind. Souped up pizza, perhaps. Butterscotch Angel Delight. Trifle... :)

I have made some very nice things in the last 5 (!) months, but I wonder if I appreciate things less if I have made them myself.

I have eaten out three times now, (all in the last 14 days) and we have had a takeaway pizza one, plus chips, in Youlgreave. None of it was anything special :?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:57 pm

At the start I made a cake each week and enjoyed Marmite and things on toast too. Then I realised it was all a bit too calorific. The food I've enjoyed most has been quite simple, stir fries with prawns, garlic, ginger, chilli and coconut milk. Salmon and salad and that sort of thing. Each time I've been surprised at how lovely it was.

The seasonal soft fruits have been a delight too.

There was a bought afternoon tea which was rather nice but fish and chips last weekend were a disappointment, the shop had changed hands from the days when it was award-winning.

The best thing was probably the sausage rolls I made with GD. I used a pack of Tesco pastry mix that someone gave me when flour was scarce and Waitrose onion flavoured sausages. I had low expectations but they were really delicious!

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:38 pm

i can't think of the best thing - our diet didn't change much.
i think, maybe, the most memorable thing was making glamorgan sausages for the first time, using the three cornered leek that covers the garden in spring (and disappears completely by the beginning of summer) instead of shop bought leeks.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:22 am

scullion wrote:i can't think of the best thing - our diet didn't change much.
i think, maybe, the most memorable thing was making glamorgan sausages for the first time, using the three cornered leek that covers the garden in spring (and disappears completely by the beginning of summer) instead of shop bought leeks.

I don't think I've ever heard of Glamorgan sausages. Three-cornered leek is aka wild garlic, isn't it? Not the "real" wild garlic. We have a tiny space but we had a lot of it. Is it a complicated recipe? If not, I must give it a go next year! I made several batches of pesto with it this year.

Both OH and I had lockdown birthdays and for his we ordered in from Cook - a real treat and absolutely delicious!

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:30 am

I made Glamorgan sausage rolls once many years ago. I can remember that they contained leeks and also cheese.

Postby aero280 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:47 am

My friend and his wife in N. Yorkshire have just collected a "delivery box" of an oven ready meal from the Black Swan at Oldstead. Prepared by Tommy Banks.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 23.25.19.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 23.25.19.png (383.98 KiB) Viewed 5530 times

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 23.23.55.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 23.23.55.png (389.6 KiB) Viewed 5530 times

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 23.24.51.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 23.24.51.png (398.1 KiB) Viewed 5530 times

Similar to this sort https://www.blackswanoldstead.co.uk/mad ... ery-boxes/

Postby Busybee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:48 am

We live locally to Tommy Banks - his boxes have been very popular, he started off local to test the waters then went national. So successful, I believe he is going to continue the facility.

BB

Postby aero280 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:18 am

Does he do it all from the pub, or does he have a factory somewhere?

My friend lives in the middle of nowhere, between Thirsk and Northallerton.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:37 am

I think the best things I have made, and thus the best things I have eaten, given I've not eaten much else, have been Ottolenghi recipes. I have all his books but have never made anything from them :oops: - put off by the long list of ingredients, not so much because I'd have to buy lots of things in which I would then not use much again (I usually have most) but by that potentially making the whole thing more time consuming and complicated. It's fair to say that I am a bit of a convert now.
I have made: buttery parmesan-braised chickpeas, courgette and herb filo pie and spiced lentils with cucumber yogurt.

I made a pretty good souffle for T's 50th too, and some delicious gazpacho (the best one used last year's roast tomato passata).

This sounds a bit like trumpet blowing, but gazpacho aside, what's good is more down to someone else's recipe and the quality of the ingredients than my skill, I would say.

I do think I perhaps value other people's cooking more though, as long as it's good. I am quite critical ('other people' being restaurants etc.)

Postby Busybee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:57 pm

aero280 wrote:Does he do it all from the pub, or does he have a factory somewhere?

He must be quite near me. I’m seven miles from Thirsk. He does it from the pub kitchens as far as I’m aware. He has another restaurant in a York called Roots but most of the ingredients come from the family farm and small holding by the pub, so I’m guessing it’s done there rather than the York kitchen.

BB

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:32 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
scullion wrote:i can't think of the best thing - our diet didn't change much.

I don't think I've ever heard of Glamorgan sausages. Three-cornered leek is aka wild garlic, isn't it? Not the "real" wild garlic. We have a tiny space but we had a lot of it. Is it a complicated recipe? If not, I must give it a go next year! I made several batches of pesto with it this year.

I think Glamorgan sausages are made with cheese (and other things) instead of meat.

I have plenty of wild garlic in my garden in the spring, but it definitely isn't 3 cornered Leek .. just googled to discover that 3 cornered leek (Allium Triquetrum) is in fact an invasive species from the Med.. and it seems to be an offence to cause it to grow over here in the UK.

Wild Garlic, (Allium Ursinum) on the other hand is readily available to buy as seeds, bulbs or plants, or donated by friends :thumbsup

I have no idea how different (or similar) they are in taste though :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Glamorgan sausages are little sausage shaped croquettes made with cheese and breadcrumbs

I don’t know I’ve ever met a 3 cornered leek but they are different to wild garlic

Postby herbidacious » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Someone at work was giving away 'wild garlic' but it turned out to be Allium triquetrum - 3 cornered leek.

I wish I could get (proper) wild garlic - Allium ursinum (which explains the German word) - to take in my garden.

I bioght a plant of 'society garlic' - tulbaghia violacea - the other week...

Postby aero280 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:56 pm

Busybee wrote:
aero280 wrote:

He must be quite near me. I’m seven miles from Thirsk.

He's down the same lane as the Shepherds Purse Cheese place. His house is at the bottom end, alongside the main railway line.

Postby Busybee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:22 pm

It’s a small world Aero, we also live on that railway line - but a few miles to the south.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 pm

I was trying to think of something
As much of my sense of taste was missing in action not much

Fish tasted better than most things and after a while I got a beautiful salmon fillet, cooked it chef style skin down in a hot pan until the skin was crisp and the flesh cooked, added herbs, capers and lemon juice to the pan juices to make a kind of salsa verde and served with Jersey Royals and green veg

A good meal by any standards, but especially when it’s one of the first you have tasted properly in a while

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:02 pm

herbidacious wrote:Someone at work was giving away 'wild garlic' but it turned out to be Allium triquetrum - 3 cornered leek.

I wish I could get (proper) wild garlic - Allium ursinum (which explains the German word) - to take in my garden.

I bioght a plant of 'society garlic' - tulbaghia violacea - the other week...

Why do you think wild garlic doesn't take Herbi ? It naturally grows on the edge of woodland - mine grows prolifically in a shady border, alongside hellebores ... I have grown several pots of wild garlic and can easily send you some of mine next year when it starts emerging again

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox