Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:31 pm

ZeroCook - and Sakkarin: With such informative posts, would a transfer to a Kimchi Thread be in order? They'd have a much better chance of being found again. Just a thought. Although, I recall there's a Korean thread that they fit in with that Sakkarin advised much else in too.

I only recently learned (different thread) that Korean chillis aren't that hot, so I could look anew at other Korean dishes that I thought would blow my socks off but maybe wouldn't if using the right chilli.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:33 pm

That's a really good idea if you could manage it Sakkarin?

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:36 pm

I've had days like that KK and have ended up too tired to think about what to eat!

Postby dennispc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:12 am

Breakfast, the cooking bit is blackcurrant compote! Blackcurrants from our single bush. The rest is my version of muesli, yoghurt and raspberries. We've been picking a handful of raspberries every day for the past fortnight - autumn raspberries.

breakfast.jpg

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am

That fruit looks so delicious. The blackcurrant compote whisked me back to being at my grandmother's and having it with semolina, or even better, ice cream! You can't beat freshly picked fruit from the garden.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Renee wrote:That's a really good idea if you could manage it Sakkarin?

I'll have a look later, but in this heat I'm finding it hard to bother doing anything...

Nice froot DPC!

Earlier today...

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:24 pm

Too damned hot...................!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Blimey!!

It rarely gets above 31-32° here.
But then it rarely goes below 20° either!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Last night we had a portion of feijoada from the freezer with skinny fries and a pile of dressed watercress. I don’t think that’s an authentic way to serve it but who cares, it tasted great :D

Today I somehow made a chilli whilst working from home in bloody awful heat. I was far too hot but had to keep going once I’d started. It’s a spicy one. I could not face it for dinner so we made a salmon and prawn salad with lots of mixed leaves, peppers, cucumber etc and a lemony dressing. Perfect. The chilli will be eaten tomorrow.

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Dennis, what a lovely breakfast! I had muesli with sliced nectarine topped with Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey.

I just had a couple of pork and Bramley sausages with half a can of baked beans. I really couldn't be bothered doing anything else.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Lovely lovely fruit dennispc. Beautiful.

KDK - what type of chiles did you find and whst type of hot sauce did you make?

Had a hummus and felafel yen so soaked the chickpeas yesterday - half for hummus and other half for felafel - hummus ready and felafel mix done and fridged and waiting to go. Easy prep for minimal hot weather cooking.

Must try out that beetroot feta tart ....

Mr Zero is not overenthusiastic about Middle Eastern flavours so he'll have a sossidge and stuff. Easy. :)

Kimchi update - how did yours work out Renee? Is it edible? Had another thought about adjusting the heat - rinse the whole lot off completely and re- add in all the flavouring stuff from scratch as wished.

My half a chinese cabbage made one +- 500g jar which is already half gone!

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:40 pm

The fruit look lovely. Gosh most of my soft (bush) fruit finished about a month ago. I just have a few autumn raspberries and some more strawberries on the way.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:04 pm

I made a summer harvest concoction. Garlicky passata, aubergines, basil, shelled violet, 'past it' French beans (I gather American call these 'shelly beans') all from the garden, with dried oregano, mozzarella and parmesan. It was rather nice.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:39 am

Zerocook:
To be honest I don´t know what kind of chiles they are. The Portuguese owner of the supermarket where I bought them told me they were "Cherry" chiles from Portugal - but they´re not round. Then I had a look through some chile catalogues and found "Fresno" chiles; but these that I´ve got are much, much hotter.
Anyway, I made a hot sauce (which was very popular when my company was working) called "C4". Basically chiles, onions, lots of coriander.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:13 am

So many chiles, so little time :D

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:44 pm

Another fishy weekend here The Lushly's haul from the fishmonger's this morning was my favourite, a huge John Dory for tonight - double :yum & two very respectable sized crabs for tomorrow with prawns.
:klingonbanana

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Sounds like a delicious haul Lush.

We made a moussaka tonight which we had with salad. It was nice enough but a bit bland. We’d have seasoned it a bit more if the girls weren’t eating it too. We added some hot sauce to ours which livened it up. We followed a different recipe to our usual version and it didnt suggest a bechamel but instead suggested blitzed sour cream, feta and egg as the topping.

Dessert is wine. Stressful work day and I’m too full for anything solid :lol:

Breakfast tomorrow will be something (eggs probably) with some leftover homemade salsa and toast.

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:01 pm

ZeroCook, my kimchi turned out really well and it isn't as hot as it was. I put it in two smaller jars and into the fridge. I will try sauerkraut next.

Do you have a good recipe for falafels?

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:03 pm

Tonight we had one of our old favourite standbys, chickpeas and spinach with cumin and lemon, with some Sainsbury's Taste the Difference olive bread, which was part of lunch for friends who unfortunately couldn't come.
For dessert we had a gorgeous Marzipan Toscakaka, a Swedish almond cake - oh dear oh dear, we now have a whole cake to get through, just the two of us ... :D Poor friends missing out :D

I've managed to make quite substantial inroads into it already :lol:

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:14 pm

:lol: Yes I can well imagine KeenCook2! I love anything with marzipan, but don't eat cakes now because I'm doing Michael Mosley's Fast 800 Diet.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox