Register

Fresh peas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Fresh peas

Postby cherrytree » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:42 am

Where are they this year? I know that we are in extraordinary circumstances but in this case I don’t understand it. Having lived for years in Norfolk next door to a Birds Eye pea field I know all about the machinery involved. They aren’t a hand picked crop unlike asparagus which has obviously suffered.
So what’s happened? I know that frozen peas are much sweeter etc but there is just something about the fresh kind, not least rekindling that childhood memory of sitting on the back step podding .

Re: Fresh peas

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:18 pm

I'm no expert, but perhaps the stages of getting from field to supermarket, rather than factory, is where there is a shortage or either peas or people to process them.

If farmers can sell all they produce to factories but can't get the labour to prepare and pack them, for supermarkets, then they'll pick the factory option.

I imagine there are also worries about the food supply chain during the pandemic, especially if there's a second wave, so Bird's Eye et al might be offering a better price than supermarkets buying fresh peas, so they can increase the froze pea stocks.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:30 pm

I had some last night, a one pound (454 g) bag 65p from Morrison’s, very nice, yielded a lot of peas

Postby cherrytree » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:45 pm

It’s miles to Morrisons. What a shame. I’ll have another look n Sainsbury’s later on. Thanks though.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:27 pm

I never think to buy peas. Like runner beans, I was brought up to think that they needed to be really fresh to be nice (which, in the case of peas, unless they are very old, doesn't really make sense!). As has been said, it is probably the process when the peas get to the factory to be frozen which is the problem.

We too used to live close to fields in Norfolk where Birds Eye peas were grown. So long ago that they were not shucked in the field but had to be driven a couple of miles to the local pea vinery on the back of a tractor. They brushed our hedge when they went past and a few peas were left behind each time. Enough for lunch every day!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:they needed to be really fresh to be nice

I seem to recall reading that they are past their best just a couple of hours after shelling, so supermarket peas are always going to be less than perfect. Maybe the packing process minimises this nowadays.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:32 pm

cherrytree wrote:...[clip...]
...but there is just something about the fresh kind, not least rekindling that childhood memory of sitting on the back step podding .

Shouldn't that be "podding and scoffing"? :oops:

The shoots from windowsill-grown dry marrowfats are the nearest thing I've found to fresh pea taste, BE Petit Pois notwithstanding.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:37 pm

If we ever podded peas for my mum, she told us to whistle while we were doing it! :lol: :lol:

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:25 pm

I got a big bag from Lidl last week. They were very fresh and sweet and did us two meals.

Postby cherrytree » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:05 pm

We’re nipping into Lidl tomorrow so I might be lucky. Yes that true about a Birds Eye peas. They really are picked at their best- by the hour so you could be woken up at 2 in the morning as the viners started work in the field. And as I said, , I know that the frozen ones are much fresher. It’s as if they are two different vegetables but I just love that tradition really.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:55 pm

I've just checked on Sainbos as I've an order booked for tomorrow and they have them, but only prodded ones and I prefer the ones in pods to just sit and pod and eat as they are, so I've not bothered getting them.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:25 am

Eat all !!! https://www.greenprophet.com/2008/07/pea-pod-recipe/

If I ever get RTC peas in pods, I make this..... I add a bit of mint to mine and it's scrumdelish.....

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Fresh peas are a bit difficult to find here, but when they are available I usually buy a kilo, pod them and freeze them.
Frozen peas are generally available if you know where to look. Usually Del Monte or one of the local brands, although I bought some the other day ( to make a samosa filling) and the peas were really dreadful. Hard as bullets; I think they´d cooked DRIED peas and then frozen them. Yukky.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:04 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Fresh peas are a bit difficult to find here, but when they are available I usually buy a kilo, pod them and freeze them.
Frozen peas are generally available if you know where to look. Usually Del Monte or one of the local brands, although I bought some the other day ( to make a samosa filling) and the peas were really dreadful. Hard as bullets; I think they´d cooked DRIED peas and then frozen them. Yukky.

Having read your first sentence, KK, I was wondering why you froze peas :?

Having read your second para I know why!! :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm

Hahaha, KC2!
Plus I´m never going to be able to eat a whole kilo all on my own.
I´d explode! :gonzo :gonzo

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox