Register

Disposing of waste

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Disposing of waste

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:07 am

In this house, cooking oil is used once for deep frying, then set aside for cooking in which it will be consumed, such as stir fries. I don't do much deep frying at all, so it's not a problem. Bones and connective tissues are pressure-cooked for stock, then frozen and put in the bin shortly before collection. Alternatively they can be left out in the garden for collection by the fairies. Dripping is mostly disposed of with the aid of crusty bread, or used to roast potatoes, but odd and sods are scraped off pans, absorbed with paper and binned or composted.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 am

Pretty much what I do BM although deep frying doesn’t occur here.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:44 am

One thing - seriously - living where I do even if I had a ground level garden I would not put out fat and bones

Cooked bones probably no better for foxes than they are for dogs but the main thing is that in a Metropolitan area doing anything that attracts, encourages or supports rats is antisocial

I was watching 2 swans preening themselves on a bank in the park where they often get fed and a sleek healthy rat popped out of the undergrowth to check for leftovers

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:34 am

Same here Sue, thankfully, this has made me realise how little food waste I have. I do the same as BM with chicken bones and rarely have others. I gave up feeding birds after watching a group of rats feasting on the dropped grain. I would have no qualms about burying ocassional fatty liquids in the garden though.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:42 am

yes, we only have a small amount of oil discard, no solid fat and not often.
we don't have a waste food or oil collection.
we were issued with compost bins by the council decades ago and we have worm bins that, now, just about all of our kitchen waste goes in.
i did filter and use a bit of 'chip' oil in the car some years back (pre-biodiesel popularity) but it smelled like a barbecue so gave that up quite quickly.

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:12 am

I ought to point out that to date our ‘deepfrying oil’ waste total over the past 8 years totals around 0.4 litre at the most ... from occasional fried Scotch eggs and falafels which are cooked in about an inch of oil in a wok ... that’s ‘deep frying’ here 8-)

Postby dennispc » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:46 pm

One of our family works for a pest control company. They get a lot of work controlling rats where house holders have bird feeders.

Bones go in the waste food bin, never deep fry so have little fat.

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 pm

I used to feed the birds - they were really spoilt with seed, sultanas, peanuts etc but after the last of my cats had died, I saw a rat in the garden so I'm afraid that I stopped putting food out.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:28 pm

dennispc wrote:One of our family works for a pest control company. They get a lot of work controlling rats where house holders have bird feeders.

Bones go in the waste food bin, never deep fry so have little fat.

I am guilty of having bird feeders that I keep topped up during the winter into late Spring, however, I taper this off for the summer.. However, I cannot, whatever I say to them, stop the neighbours adjacent to me keeping their feeders going all year round, supplementing bird food, for bread thrown down most days - I blame them for the rat problem we have; they blame me for building a conservatory with an accompanying water feature !

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:11 pm

At the risk of tempting providence, it has always surprised me that we rarely see rats and have never seen a grass snake in the garden, given the number of ponds and compost heaps in the gardens hereabouts and the proximity of the New River, where I have seen both species. Not to mention the increase in sheds and decking under which they can hide. Someone over the back has started keeping chickens, by the sound of it, too. We also feed birds all year round.

Given a chance, the foxes half inch the hedgehog food, as do the local cats. :D

Postby miss mouse » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:55 pm

dennispc wrote:One of our family works for a pest control company. They get a lot of work controlling rats where house holders have bird feeders.

Our nice neighbours had a bird feeder and we got rats. Nice neighbours moved and there is no longer a bird feeder and no more rats that I have noticed.

I chuck small amounts in the compost bin, otherwise it is the weekly food waste collection.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:34 pm

I had to squirrel proof my bird feeders, but gave up on them when they got taken over by pigeons :-(

I think the neighbours' cats would give any rat a run for its money, they use my garden as a favourite sunning spot.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:11 pm

There was a young looking fox sniffing round our gardens at midday today :o. He looked very thin and had mange. I think he must have been really hungry. I felt so sorry for him, there wasn't a morsel of food in sight.

Postby miss mouse » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I think the neighbours' cats would give any rat a run for its money, they use my garden as a favourite sunning spot.

My cats daft as they both were kept the rats and mice down or persuaded them to move on.

Sqirrel Nutkin is a frequent unwelcome visitor.

Postby Lokelani » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Having a dog I wouldn't put fat or any other waste out in the garden, so many things human safe are not pet safe. Also some may attract rats I would imagine.

I wait until the bin has enough in to absorb fat & scrape it in once it's solidified or put in a container not suitable for recycling if it's still runny.

Freezing until bin day sounds like a good idea now bins are only collected fortnightly, which I hate. I'm sure we all do!

Postby Busybee » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:59 pm

On a similar vein I was reading an article on composting and got side tracked by wormerys. Does any one use one?

https://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/

We compost but are still left with food waste as our council doesn’t allow kitchen peelings etc into the green bin.

Any first hand experience?

Bb

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:28 pm

Busybee wrote:On a similar vein I was reading an article on composting and got side tracked by wormerys. Does any one use one?

https://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/

We compost but are still left with food waste as our council doesn’t allow kitchen peelings etc into the green bin.

Any first hand experience?

Bb

Been there, done that .... my worms never moved up to the next level. Good in theory though :thumbsup

I also (late last year) bought a Hot Bin .... another failure for me .. it could be that I just don't produce enough waste
in a single person household :?

edited to add that my council takes all food waste too (just thrown in the wagon along with garden waste). I just wish I could buy some of the compost I am contributing to making - after all that's the whole point of garden waste isn't it ? :roll:

Postby aero280 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:31 pm

I have had to dispose of two dead rats recently. Both had been killed, presumably by the local cat, because they were visibly "damaged".

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 pm

I used to have a transhumance system for worms - dig some out of the compost heap in the Spring and start the wormery going for the summer, taking the worms back to the heap in the autumn. I've thought about a hot box, not got a round tuit.

I just wish I could buy some of the compost I am contributing to making

Local municipal compost used to be available as 'Ace of Herts soil improver'.

I've just checked and the green waste from North and East Herts DCs are still composted on a farm at Rushden and sold locally. However, this appears to be available no further West than Codicote or Hitchin.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 pm

I have had to dispose of two dead rats recently.

When I was doing my A levels we had some rats that came up the outside toilet (it was 1976 and the bowl had dried out) and found a way into the kitchen. We had cats at the time, they left a present on the carpet each morning. It became a routine - get up, wash and dress, dispose of rat, have breakfast, go off to sit an exam. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox