Register

Healthy Eating

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Healthy Eating

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:31 pm

For balance, here’s an article about the claim that any food that contains carbohydrates that can be digested to form sugars are just as bad as eating pure sugar. You may have seen the charts put out by Dr Unwin that show fruits in terms of teaspoons of sugar.

This has been challenged by other doctors and scientists, notably one doctor of South Asian heritage who was subjected to racial abuse and even death threats by fanatical low carb and keto diet followers for daring to express the orthodox scientific view that eating a banana is different to eating 6 teaspoons of sugar, as slow release (low GI) and containing other nutrients.

Barney Calman of the Daily Mail has been following the furore, and has published several good articles. This is one, more about science and diet than the debate. It is however safe to say he’s anti-teaspoon

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... sugar.html

Postby dennispc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks Sue, knew I’d seen it somewhere. Times article has a bit more breadth, highlighting other products and, as you say, highlighting the dishonesty of labelling.

“Wholesome, natural, artisanal adjectives on labels should be taken as yet another red flag. “Natural cane sugar”. It’s sugar. “Hand fried” It’s fried. As Dimbleby says; “One of the most egregious sins of the modern food industry is its habit of clothing its products in false virtue”

Postby dennispc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Obviously cross posted. I came across Dr Unwin last year using him in 'discussions' with my vegan friend. Think I passed it on the information to my SiL who is diabetic.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:41 pm

Thank you Sue. An interesting article which makes sense.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:51 pm

dennispc wrote:Obviously cross posted. I came across Dr Unwin last year using him in 'discussions' with my vegan friend. Think I passed it on the information to my SiL who is diabetic.

Not Dr Stanley Unwin I hope?? :lol: :lol:

*shows great age* :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 pm

dennispc wrote:Obviously cross posted. I came across Dr Unwin last year using him in 'discussions' with my vegan friend. Think I passed it on the information to my SiL who is diabetic.

Dennis, read Barney Calman’s article

Most practitioners in the field disagree with Dr Unwin, who has now withdrawn the teaspoon “infographic”

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Not Dr Stanley Unwin I hope??

I'm sure the original would have pointed out that his namesake talkymost cobbloaders.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
Not Dr Stanley Unwin I hope??

I'm sure the original would have pointed out that his namesake talkymost cobbloaders.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:25 am

New Canadian guidelines on obesity management, which include in some cases not managing it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53656651

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:28 pm

After watching MM's programme last night, I thought I would do the waist measurement test. ........ ooops... My waist is 10 inches more that it should be :shock: :oops: :roll: (ideally your waist measurement should be half your height).

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:44 pm

I'm 66 inches tall
When I was 20 I was 36 25 35. Didn't last
As the Canadian advice says, all these things are very subjective, I'm pretty sure some athletes would have much bigger waists because of the bulk of their abs

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:40 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:After watching MM's programme last night, I thought I would do the waist measurement test. ........ ooops... My waist is 10 inches more that it should be :shock: :oops: :roll: (ideally your waist measurement should be half your height).

Was that for men and women, Pat, or just women?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:After watching MM's programme last night, I thought I would do the waist measurement test. ........ ooops... My waist is 10 inches more that it should be :shock: :oops: :roll: (ideally your waist measurement should be half your height).

Was that for men and women, Pat, or just women?

Everyone ... this seems to indicate how much fat you have round your waist (visceral fat ?) which is an unhealthy place (apple shaped body)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 pm

It should be pointed out that the Fast 800 diet is called that because it’s only 800 calories per day

That’s ok for the 2 days of the 5:2 diet but every day for at least 21 days is not considered healthy by the majority of medics and dietitians I’ve seen comment - that’s down below the range of the meal replacement programs like Lighter Life which are 800 to 1200 calories per day

Also it irks the pros that it is presented as Dr Michael Mosley’s diet. He joined the BBC in 1985, almost immediately after he qualified, and his registration as a doctor lapsed about 3 years later when he didn’t complete CME (Continuing medical education) and re-register. So he hasn’t been a doctor for over 30 years

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:15 am

Almost like Gillian McKeith!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:18 am

To be fair he did full training, albeit 35 years ago, and having worked as a journalist for many years he is fairly good at picking stuff out of science and medical journals

Whereas the ginger poo “doctor” was almost entirely making it up and never trained let alone qualified

This is just too extreme for a lot of people to approve of, too unsafe in terms of triggering eating disorders, and someone said they are aiming for ketosis (which I haven’t checked) which many disapprove of.

On the other hand, I’m told some of the recipes are quite good if you want a light option

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:49 am

Ketosis is definitely a no-no for diabetics.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:28 am

The thing about Moseley's and other very low calorie diets is that they produce results and help create new habits in a short time which is a huge boost for those who need to make big changes. In that respect the good probably outweighs the bad IF the person then continues with good habits and a sensible balanced diet plus exercise.

From what I've read as a layman, ketosis is quite hard to achieve and if you don't quite manage it you've actually lived on a diet which isn't recommended in any circles. There are numerous diets around promoting ketosis, I do wonder how many people make it work in the way it is supposed to (and how good for people it is).

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:13 pm

I'd never even heard of ketosis! Had to look it up :oops: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:23 pm

No! Living on a very low calorie diet, less than maybe 1200 does not “create’ good habits” on the contrary
All the evidence is that
1. it creates obsession verging on paranoia around food and leads to yo-yo dieting and even actual eating disorders

2 I understand that follow up studies on “super dieters” like the winners of Biggest Loser and Slimmer of the Year all show consistently that they very often put on more than they lost, often very fast, their mental and, importantly, physical ability to cope with food is broken. Certainly the former Slimmer of the Year I knew personally turned into a blubber mountain within 4 years

3. 800 calories a day is defined by many in the medical profession as starvation level, which if continued can lead to loss of both skeletal and heart muscle. A lot of people in the early studies of liquid diets died of heart attacks

4. Keto freaks make me laugh. We were always taught that ketosis is a stress state and to be avoided, and I understand this is still what’s taught in medical school. There’s no nearly keto, either you have flipped that switch in your body or you haven’t

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff