Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 pm

I don't know much about reducing the heat in foods but hope there's a solution.

I did a version of KC2's hassleback courgettes and it was lovely. I wanted the courgettes to be brown so chipped rather than just cut the slices. I tucked a few small tomatoes in the dish too. The cheese was a mild, cheap creamy blue (forget the name) bought on offer yesterday. Quite rich, didn't want too much and mopped the lovely juices up with a slice of sourdough as Nigel S. suggests. A good suggestion.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 pm

I love the look of the courgette dish.

Lunch today was French onion soup with gruyere toast. Dinner was bang bang chicken.

Tomorrow we have plans for lamb steaks with menorcan potatoes and a salad. Was it someone on here who mentioned Menorcan potatoes recently? Thanks if so :wave: The kids will love them.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:03 am

They do have quite a distinctive flavour, but I don't remember them being hot. I bought some more recently but haven't used them yet.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:05 am

I'm glad that you've tried the hasselback courgettes and enjoyed them, Earthmaiden! I'll make one tomorrow.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:06 am

I've been eating some cherry toms from Morocco (Tesco) this week which were quite delicious. (I thought Tesco bought British - don't we do cherry toms, or is it just UK meat that refers to?) The meal was nice enough but the tom flavour was best I've had for ages.

A veg concoction planned for later is roast/caramelised butternut squash, red/yellow peppers, red onions, mushrooms, and side of spice fried black beans, and crispy Indian-spiced spuds, Mmm, made to a recipe as the spice proportions need to be right I've learned.

Lovely grub posted on here and such diversity too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am

What a delightful recipe find, Keencook.
Whenever I look at courgettes, I have a limited idea of what to do with them - nice to see something that isn't ratatouille-like, which of course is delicious, but not the only thing to do with them.

Toms are excellent at the moment, aren't they, Jeral.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am

I roasted my first batch of tomatoes last night. This is what they looked like before hand. (Yes, sorry, badly taken for instagram :oops: )

50194777171_7afd637c5e_c.jpg

Will run them through the passata 'machine' tonight.

I didn't roast the big one as I picked it a little too soon.

I was given two big courgettes by a neighbour (A bit too big, tbh.) Maybe I will try the hassleback thing.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:20 am

Herbi they look gorgeous! Too good to cook! I have a bit of a ritual going back to childhood with the first tomato(es) of the year. A tomato sandwich made with buttered white bread and lots of salt and pepper. I've stopped eating most bread so may have to buy a crusty roll when the tomatoes finally ripen!

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:26 pm

That is sunshine on a plate..........!!!

I think chicken & chips is on the cards for tonight - a request has been made ( for chips)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 pm

We just had a quinoa, spinach, blue cheese and walnut salad. :yum :yum

Postby herbidacious » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:38 pm

I've just had panfried stuffed (bought) gnocchi with three types of sage (!), butter, black pepper, wild garlic salt and a bit of smoked paprika. It was fried with smoked oil. A sprinkle of grated emmental to finish.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm positively envious of the three types of sage, herbi! (The rest sounds aok :) )

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 pm

I didn't even realise there were different kinds of sage!

Special treat for me, proper Thai Tom Kha Gai, Chicken with Galangal & Coconut soup, courtesy of a whistle stop visit to Hoo Hing in Park Royal - they had some really fresh galangal, lemongrass and Thai basil. I got a bag of Szechwan chillies too, so I can stop using Thai dried chillies in my Szechwan dishes as I have for the past couple of months since I ran out (they make a pretty good sub). And some rice cakes for something Korean in the future.

Didn't bother taking a pic of the Tom Kha Gai as it wasn't particularly photogenic - check out my old pic for an idea. The only difference was I added some mushroom slices as a nod to David Thompson's recipe, although it was mostly my hero Vatcharin Bhumichitr's recipe.

The basil is portioned and frozen awaiting future use.

Dear me, that piccy is 18 years old.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:30 pm

7F9679BB-85DB-4232-A841-9AF24A1E3CA9.jpeg
7F9679BB-85DB-4232-A841-9AF24A1E3CA9.jpeg (95.98 KiB) Viewed 4935 times

Wow, you’ve all been very creative

I had a go at the Hugh F-W recipe Suffs mentioned on the Dominos thread. Lamb with cauliflower and chickpeas

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/la ... al%20dente

I used a nice neck fillet instead of the leg steak and that worked well, taste and texture of the meat was very good. Must look for more of those

The flavour of the cumin came through better than I thought it might, but it could have done with something else as well, not sure what, and it needed some kind of sauce / gravy / dressing , I added a few glues of water as it cooked to stop it sticking, but it needed more, the citrus juice was not enough. The sesame seeds were not detectable in the finished dish

Not awful, but unexciting. Have portion 2 for tomorrow and will add something, not sure what

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:12 am

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]...

Not awful, but unexciting. Have portion 2 for tomorrow and will add something, not sure what

Would you like mustard and turmeric either made up as a dressing or with broth/light cream as a sauce? Perhaps with added tahini to bring out the sesame.

Might make such a sauce tomorrow as it should work with some broccoli or leek and mushrooms to sit in little Yorks Puds.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:29 am

That's a shame, Sue. It certainly looks wonderful.
But chickpeas need help. I'd probably add yoghurt & mint sauce.

I really like Thai basil dishes, Sakkers.

And gnocchi!

Tapas tonight - I'm visiting family.
My contribution will be to take the patatas bravas. & I'll be cooking sumac lamb with an almond sauce tomorrow for everyone (outdoor bbq style).

Postby herbidacious » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 am

KeenCook2 wrote:I'm positively envious of the three types of sage, herbi! (The rest sounds aok :) )

I actually have at least 4 types (about 6 plants). Going by colour, purple, green, green variagated and purple variagated. Can't say I can tell the difference ;)

I have lots of thymes too. There are so many one can get, although many are a bit lemony which I am not keen on.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:58 am

I have a Tangerine Sage, it has kind of rusty purple leaves and orange flowers, when it flowers, I may have cut it back too hard this year
Not keen on the flavour but it does scent the air next to my outdoor seat with a faintly citrus smell, nice outdoor pot pourri

Going back to the lamb, the method worked quite well apart from the lack of sauce, would also work well with cubed squash instead of cauliflower I think. Smoked paprika might work as the extra flavour. expect I’ll just end up sprinkling it with sumac and Aleppo pepper then serving it with mint + yogurt or I might make real tzatziki I was just trying to think of something else as everything in my kitchen seems to come with minty yogurt

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:09 pm

The tahini/mustard/turmeric idea sounds nice. I'd add the ingredients to yogurt with a small splodge of tomato puree to taste.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:14 pm

Not really cooking (on the whole) but gazpacho with roast peppers.
Roast tomato passata

broad bean and ricotta with lemon juice, smoked oil and posh Italian EVOO. Black pepper. For lunch

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox