Register

The Eat Out To Help Out Scheme

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The Eat Out To Help Out Scheme

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:05 pm

Umm - hopefully it's OK to post this topic here - it IS about food, after all! ;)

I am SO excited about this! Many places I know and love appear to have signed up to this - or, at least, I THINK they have!
Only 3 days per week throughout August, BUT what an opportunity!!!

There's a link in this article!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... l#comments

It doesn't cover booze tho - but that's OK for moi as I don't indulge ;)

Anybode going to try it out? I am!!!!!!!!

:woohoo:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Re: The Eat Out To Help Out Scheme

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 pm

My local excellent curry house is planning to sign up for it, so we will likely go there more frequently than usual.

It also gives us opportunity to try new places without too much outlay.
If we like them we will return.

I do like to support independent traders.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:19 pm

I think that the idea is good but thought that it was supposed particularly to be a lifeline for smaller businesses who have suffered during lockdown rather than the already popular larger chains shown in the article.

I hope that it helps those who need it (both businesses and customers) most and somehow works with the new health blitz as well.

I am not keen on the thought of going anywhere much at the moment. Small concerns with plenty of outdoor space would be my preference.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Me neither, EM.

Looks like all three pubs in my area are doing it. One does have a big beer garden. Not sure the food is good enough to bother. A discount is not enough of an incentive for me. If I really wanted to eat out, and was happy to do so, I would, discount or not.

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:43 pm

WWordsworth wrote:My local excellent curry house is planning to sign up for it, so we will likely go there more frequently than usual.

It also gives us opportunity to try new places without too much outlay.
If we like them we will return.

I do like to support independent traders.

I like to support independent places too. Most places where I like to eat are independent.

Going to try and wangle some leave in the second half of August.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:55 pm

Here’s the official site

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-disco ... out-scheme

Lots of local independent places are in - including The Clarence which Grace Dent reviewed last week, the Japanese place I’ve been meaning to try, and our Park Cafe

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 pm

It’s ironic though given that Boris is cracking down on obesity that a lot of the places who’ve signed up for it are fast food joints.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:33 pm

I know - but there are loads of independent places where it's possible to get healthier meals.

;)
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:49 pm

Had quite a day, foodwise, today!

I went in to 'W' today, but I didn't have to go in until 10am, so, when I got into town, (and even tho I'd not long had my breakfast), I pooped into one of my favourite coffee shops and had toast and a cuppa, half price, courtesy of our Chancellor!
Then, when I'd finished my shift, I had a, shall we say, rather large burger in a Weatherspoon's, which came with chips, onion rings & a large tea - and I paid less than £4.50! :lol:
I think I overdid it & later struggled to finish my tea.
But it was nice :yum

We are off to Whitby in a few days, and quite a few places there are in the scheme too.
;)
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:18 pm

It's a treat isn't it grassy! Better watch those pounds creeping back on :lol: :lol:

I read something earlier where people were complaining that those who could afford it were now getting cheap meals out and those struggling on low incomes were still not getting enough to eat and not being given treats in the same way. I can see the reasoning, but surely the whole point of this is to try to keep the economy afloat rather than to give treats to the rich (although that is an outcome)?

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:It's a treat isn't it grassy! Better watch those pounds creeping back on :lol: :lol:

I read something earlier where people were complaining that those who could afford it were now getting cheap meals out and those struggling on low incomes were still not getting enough to eat and not being given treats in the same way. I can see the reasoning, but surely the whole point of this is to try to keep the economy afloat rather than to give treats to the rich (although that is an outcome)?

I think I'd rather see the money go to those in need. I realise it's an effort to get the economy going but will it really encourage many to eat out? IMHO many that will benefit from it would have eaten out anyway, it just means a cheap meal for them rather than an increase in the numbers using restaurants etc.

Postby smitch » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 pm

I’d also rather use the scheme at independent business rather than large companies like Wetherspoons who treated their staff appallingly at the start of lockdown.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:51 pm

I will never set foot in Weatherspoons following the way their staff were treated.

Tonight we dined out locally and independently, somewhere we hadn't been before.
Food and service were great.
We will return, with or without Rishi's assistance.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:13 am

Grasshopper wrote: I pooped into one of my favourite coffee shops and had toast and a cuppa, half price, courtesy of our Chancellor!

Please tell me you didn't... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:59 am

From a distance, the scheme seems a bit naive, but with the right intentions. the economy has to get going one way or another, and I`d rather it be like this than Trumpety-Trump`s hopeless mess.

Postby Kacey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:58 am

Well walking through the town around 5-ish the last two nights, it was certainly a lot busier than the past few weeks. Unfortunately the main beneficiary seemed to be Tim Martin.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 am

I’m going for a swim late morning and was looking for lunch near the lido, there are lots of independent eateries round it but few seem to be both open and offering Rishi discounts

It’s patchy, because round here just about everyone is offering them, only a couple of km away but a different “ London village”

Postby Suelle » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 am

Quite a few of my local restaurants had already re-opened with new times which didn't include Mondays and Tuesdays, so are only offering the 'Eat Out' scheme on Wednesdays.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Busybee » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:35 pm

We were up early to get the car to the garage for a service and MOT. The garage is 20 miles away so OH needed picking up after dropping the car off. We decided to have breakfast out at a local steakhouse, part of a small local group, they have rooms so offer breakfast to non residents.

https://www.tomahawk-steakhouse.co.uk/t ... waite.html

Absolutely delicious, high quality food and great service. An absolute bargain without an EOTHO offer. We have booked for next Wednesday as we are taking the dog to the groomers and it’s on our way home.

We have eaten there once before at night, but it is pricey for the North, we have been encouraged to return for DS’s birthday later this month.

BB

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:54 pm

There are half a dozen eateries near here on the scheme. It would mean public transport or cab which I don't have to use otherwise, nor mix otherwise, so I'll regret it but still feel the need to stay safe, even though kicking myself for not taking advantage.

The scheme is really to get people out and start mixing (within guidelines so any infection is our own fault) after telling us to stay in for months, mainly so that everyone will go back to work soonest. Can't claim to be incapacitated or scared if you've gone out for a reduced price meal can you? ;)

Restos unsurprisingly say it's just displacing weekend custom so making food ordering harder, not to mention extra admin. Signing up wasn't obligatory though. The local one I'd hoped for hasn't signed up.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox