Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm

I have bought both the McCain and the Bannister's jacket spuds, they are slightly different, not sure which I really prefer but I'll nominate Bannister's as they are cheaper :lol: Sometimes, I bake a few extra jacket spuds and freeze them myself, works fine

Last night I cooked keema mattar (curried lamb mince and peas) with rice, so I'll have more tonight

I also made pea pod soup, not a complete disaster, the flavour was decent, but despite consulting several recipes I used far too much liquid, and the texture was like dishwater, I will try again sometime but will use less stock and sling in one of those baked spuds as a thickener

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:26 pm

I made two tomato and... concoctions last night. One violet French beans, and thee other aubergines. Did separately as some of the beans have been stringy. (I can't keep up with them.) I ate them with halloumi fries (!)

I just made some yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, fennel and cumin chilled (no cook) soup (with a bit of wild garlic salt). It should not have been a faff, but was. I am too hot to function properly right now I think.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm

Renee wrote:I've been doing the Dr Michael Mosley's Fast 800 Diet for a couple of weeks
P1010988.JPG

How is that going, Renee? Both husband and I seriously need to lose weight. Are you doing it with a book, or the online thing?

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 pm

After mentioning Musakhan on the old pitta thread - Palastinian sumac chicken and caramelised onions baked on flatbread which I love and haven't made for ages - I now have a nice org chook sitting in the fridge & will use thigh/legs for that.

Gill - I could eat prawns every day too! What's the pasta dish in your photo? I finally procured a pasta maker roller wotsit a little while back and really liking it a lot.

herbidacious wrote:I just made some yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, fennel and cumin chilled (no cook) soup (with a bit of wild garlic salt). It should not have been a faff, but was. I am too hot to function properly right now I think.

Do tell, please, herbid. Method or recipe? When your brain has cooled off :D
Been making yoghurt quite a bit of late and always looking for more recipe/uses.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:40 pm

Oh nothing special. Just quite a lot cucumber blitzed in a blender with a couple of cloves of garlic, half a big pot of full fat Total yog, probably half-1 teaspoon each of cumin seeds and fennel seeds. A bit of fresh fennel (leaves/stalk) but only a tiny bit, a shaking of wild garlic salt, a slug ( :) ) of white wine vinegar. It's chilling/developing now in the fridge for tomorrow. May need tweaking.

Basically runny tzatziki but with alternative spices, as nothing fresh that I thought would work well/I fancied. (I have lots of thymes, mints, sages, rosemary, chives, marjoram, oregano, basils, hyssop (?!), epazote, even, but I felt it wanted dill or tarragon, parsley maybe. Coriander? The grass is always greener...?! I do have some parsley but not enough.)

I have a lot of cucumbers so I may make actual tzatziki next.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:24 am

Herbie, the Fast 800 Diet is going well and I've lost 3.2k in about three weeks. Sometimes I go a bit off track, so I could have done a lot better. I'm having two meals each day. A very late breakfast at about 11:30 and evening meal at about 7pm. There is good support online on the Fast Mama website.

If you post on Facebook, here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fast800

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:00 am

ZeroCook wrote:.

After mentioning Musakhan on the old pitta thread - Palastinian sumac chicken and caramelised onions baked on flatbread which I love and haven't made for ages - I now have a nice org chook sitting in the fridge & will use thigh/legs for that.

I made a Rick Padstein dish which was very similar to yours, ZC. It used pomegranate molasses too. Very tasty.

I didn't cook this evening. A close friend is celebrating Eid and left me a wonderful chicken curry (I don't know the Indian name for it so "curry" will have to suffice!) and a rice dish that was subtly flavoured with fresh coconut, cinnamon, cloves, black peppercorns, black cardamom and I know not what else. It was finished with gold leaf!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 am

That sounds delicious, Herbid. Perfect for hot weather. Mint might be excellent.

Eons ago Luca - think it was - made a cold pea soup using frozen peas which I tried and later adapted into an savoury sorbet.

Pampy, is that the one on beeb food?

Musakhan has been postponed. Got caught up between recipes.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 am

Zero, the prawn pasta dish is spaghettis (a Tierra da Vinci brand we like).
The prawns were sauteed in evoo, lemon, dried chilli flakes, and a finely chopped fresh fresno.
Then toss around the pasta.

Nice that you have a pasta roller too.

Pampy, that's a good friend to know.

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:46 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.

Pampy, is that the one on beeb food?

I got it from the BBC Good Food mag.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:35 pm

I attempted to make kimchi today. I was going to make sauerkraut, but the ingredients for the kimchi sounded interesting!

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:47 am

Thanks Gill - delicious.

Pampy - your friend's dish sounds wonderful.

Renee - I bought a Chinese cabbage a couple of days ago with part of it earmarked for kimchi which I haven't made for a long time. Do you have a favoured recipe?

The Musakhan was made.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 am

I'm interested in the kimchi too.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:08 pm

Here's the recipe that I used. I used a whole Chinese cabbage, ZeroCook and it wilted down to what is in the jar. I was quite surprised at that. It is the first time that I have made it.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/quick-kimchi

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 pm

I spent two days (Friday and part of Saturday) making something called " Empanadas".
Empanada, in Spanish, means "breaded", but there are so many variations , it`s almost impossible to identify the origin.
Anyway: Venezuelan empanadas are basically deep-fried turnovers made with maize flour. Here the maize flour is called "Harina PAN" and is a coarse, maize flour used principally to make arepas - in Venezuela and Colombia.
The typical empanadas here are filled with a)shredded beef b) condimented minced beef c) chicken, with fried onions, garlic, sweet chiles d) white cheese or e) domino: a combination of white cheese and cooked black beans.
One of the restaurants I work with recently had an Empanada Festival, where they asked 15 chefs/cooks to come up with innovative fillings for empanadas. 30% of the proceeds went to support Venezuelan coffee producers, who are seriously suffering under the régime and the Covid-19 lockdown.
I made 4 fillings: Taj Mahal (Pakistani-spiced minced beef with lentils & ginger); fresh artichoke with bacon and cream cheese; "telita" cheese ( a soft, creamy white cheese) with BBQ`d vegetables; and a sausage+smoked sausage+fried potato+caramelised onions.
Strangely enough, the hardest part was getting the "pastry" right. Too much water, not enough oil; it splits. Not enough water, too much oil; it splits!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:30 pm

Nice! The Hispanic side of the family I used to visit in the USA used to make them, a version which sounds very similar. Fiddly things which involved all the family joining to make. Those fillings sound good :yum

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:07 am

I love those fillings KK, but can appeciate that the pastry would be difficult to make with oil.

I found minestrone soup in the freezer, so enjoyed that tonight with grated parmesan.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Yum! I love empanadas. Ther is a Venezuelan cafe near me that does good cheesy ones.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Thanks Renee. That's a whole cabbage?? Wow. Have you tasted it? Thoughts?

Gill, have you made kimchi?

So good so addictive! I have kimchi phases - they parallel my pickle phases. My last one was a couple of years back - I fused a couple of recipes I liked the look of and it worked really well - don't remember which recipes as I looked at so many. Probably bookmarked somewhere on previous phone or laptop :geek: If I make, will post on Pickle thread.

Have read recipes and seen but never made or eaten empanadas.
Do you have a pastry recipe preference KDK? And what are the characteristics of harina pan? Is it nixtamalised? Saw bags of what was probably that in supermarkets in Andalusia while looking for masa harina (preparada) for tamales which I couldn't find there at all - very few Mex Xchanos there but a lot of South Americans so various ingredients for those dishes but which I know very little about.

Look a lot like Jamaican patties which I lurve and have made. Best ones from a place in Stockwell and a pattie shop that was a fixture in Brixton market.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:17 pm

I made saag paneer and chana masala (with a rather holey aubergine from the garden added too). Mint and mango chutney yoghurt sauce/dip, bought coriander and garlic naan.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox