Register

Ice cream and granita

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Ice cream and granita

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:48 am

Nigel Slater.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... nd-granita

His legions of fans will not like me saying this but he has become such a self-parody that I almost can't bear to read him these days. His flowery writing gives me the pips and I have never hated a book more than I hated "Toast". But I'm sure he's a very nice man, although I don't care if I never meet him.

That said his basic vanilla ice cream from years ago is my go-to. And yes, I have an ice cream maker. I won't be making any of today's offerings however.

Re: Ice cream and granita

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:13 pm

I feel there was a time when he became noticeably more comfortable in his own skin and have found him more likeable since, in small doses. Toast was clearly part of his therapy.

Don't much fancy the ice cream offerings. Watermelon granita might be nice. Those recipes published on this and the Wildie board over the years provide an excellent repertoire(for those who, like me, don't own an ice cream maker and only make it occasionally) IMO.

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:15 pm

I actually really like Nigels style of writing . I find it quite soothing and often read his cookery books for pleasure more than anything else . I find his onscreen presence really irritating though , I do like his recipes although I find he does bulk his books out with assemblies of things sometimes , rather than actual recipes

My go to ice cream recipes would be Nigella’s no churn ice cream . The margarita flavour is gorgeous and very little effort .

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 pm

I made this recently, just finished the last portion this afternoon.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... sandwiches

I liked it, J didn't.

I would make it again but without the raspberries, so I can add whatever fruit I fancy.

If you're planning to try it I have 2 comments.
- most of the cornflake topping fell off
- it does contain a lot of ice crystals; I put my slice into the fridge for about 90 mins before eating and that seemed to do the trick.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 pm

I have several of Nigel's books and love his style of writing. I am happy just reading his books as well as cooking recipes from them.

Nigel never wanted to appear on television, because he said that he didn't have the right image, but was persuaded eventually.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Have no problem with his early books Renee but anything he’s written in the last ten years makes me want to send him back to school.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 am

I got a bit tired of his tendency on tv to point out the blindingly obvious very slowly, and while many of his flavour combinations are good I sometimes wonder how he thinks his dishes fit into meals

I had some watermelon hanging round so juiced it and was thinking of granita but Marlena Spieler suggested adding a big squeeze of lime, ice cubes, and a shot of tequila. Great idea, especially as I had to blow the dust off the tequila bottle :D. Would work with white rum I think

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:57 am

Sue, that sounds really delicious.
I re-read NS's piece again this morning as it appeared in the Guardian highlights email. Roast banana suddenly reminded me of the banana with chocolate we used to cook in foil on the camp fires at Guides. Next time I have bananas to use up I might do that! These recipes have made us think of things even better than the ice cream suggestions!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:44 pm

This from Rachel Roddy sounds marvellous.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/j ... um=twitter

Postby halfateabag » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:49 am

Wow! I fancy a glass of that and it's only a quarter to eight in the morning..... I must look up a recipe for lemon granita and go and make some. I did buy a bag o limes in Lidl this week, maybe that will work. I also picked up in France a bottle of lemon voddy that I will put in the fridge. And yes, we do also have fizz.

I now have a project for today ! Thanks PP....

Postby Lokelani » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 pm

I used to adore reading his articles in the Sainsbury's Magazine, more than 20 years ago. When he started appearing on TV I found him too hesitant, slow & painstaking in describing things. Almost an irritating pause for effect type presenting style.

That which made me be able to imagine the food in my mind's eye in writing, became annoying to watch in real time. I could almost see & smell the food from his columns.

I do have an ice cream machine & don't use it often enough due to healthy eating I guess! Frozen yogurt just does not have the same appeal...

None of his recipes there appeal to me.

I do fancy making ice cream though, having read this thread, so that's one good thing! :-)

Postby halfateabag » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:55 am

I plan to make a coffee no churn IC today. I have not got over my Greek IC fix yet and have been having Lidls Gellatti caramel loaded onto my anzac cookies I made the other day. Roll on winter.....that should help!

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:51 pm

Lokelani wrote: When he started appearing on TV I found him too hesitant, slow & painstaking in describing things. Almost an irritating pause for effect type presenting style.

That which made me be able to imagine the food in my mind's eye in writing, became annoying to watch in real time. I could almost see & smell the food from his columns.

Describes exactly how I feel about him. I also find his way of presenting a bit creepy.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:50 pm

I want to make some eggless (because I am lazy) ice cream tomorrow. Any pointers?

I was wondering if I could be even more cheaty and use sachets of hot chocolate. I have some Hotel Chocolat white and raspberry ones. Probably not very cost effective...

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Again I’d recommend Nigellas no churn ice cream for an easy recipe . My instinct with the hot choc sachets would be no . I think you wouldn’t get the depth of flavour and it’d be hard to gauge how much additional sugar you’d need

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:05 pm

Hmm ok. Will avoid.

I do want to use my ice cream maker though. Problem is gauging it's capacity. i am assuming that I can make no churn recipes in it. (Although possibly a bit pointless.)

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 pm

Why don’t you use some fresh ready made custard instead for the base ? There’s some really good freshly made cartons available , M&S do a lovely one with real flecks of vanilla in that I use for trifle

Postby herbidacious » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Does anyone have a recipe fore ice cream that uses ready made fresh custard?

I have looked hard for an ice cream recipe using custard. The BBC has one (bad reviews). Basically just churn custard and double cream? (Not sure how much to use. Custard seems to be measured in grams rather than liquid measurement and I need to not make more than the ice cream maker can accommodate.)
If I wanted to make it lemony, can I just add lemon curd?

I really don't want to experiment. I can't afford to waste the ingredients... and I don't want to consume lots of calories unless it's worth it :shock:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:44 pm

I think there are some experiments in ice cream on Kavey's site Herbi. I've made it from Waitrose Essential ready made custard and it's been fine, maybe a little dense but OK. Meanwhile Felicity is making it from scratch today. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... ity-cloake

If using the machine I usually use a Nigel Slater recipe as a base - and I used to make a lot of ice cream. I also seem to remember the late lamented Gary Rhodes getting into a lot of trouble for using an unholy amount of egg yolks to make his.

Am also a fan of the Nigella easy-churn flavours.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox