Register

Fish and chips

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Fish and chips

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Nigella’s 20 year old article is doing the Twitter rounds.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver ... emagazine4

I do miss skate.

Best chippy ever? Ingham’s in Filey.
Best round here? Sea Pebbles, Hatch End.

No to mushy peas.

Re: Fish and chips

Postby Seatallan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Shap Chippy gets my vote. Not only is it local but they do the best F&C I've ever had. There's also another very local one in Penrith (the Little Chippy) that wins awards frequently.

And deffo mushy peas please. Not the same without mushy peas.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby oat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Seafarer in Lytham St Annes, well worth queuing for. And I'm going to Blackpool on Friday so. . . . . . . :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Sutton and Sons are my local, and very good
I do love a chippy with a decent house white :)

They also have the famous vegan chippy

Haven’t seen the owner since Xmas of course, hope he’s ok

Arguably the other local (Partners) does chips that are as good or better and the owner is a nice bloke

When I grew up in Hampshire the fish to go for was the local plaice, sometimes landed that day

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:41 pm

One of our chippies in town has won award for best in the whole country

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.devo ... 463813.amp.

They’re good but I prefer the one five minutes away. They have a curry sauce to die for , homemade tartare sauce and all their packaging is recyclable . Lovely people running it too .

Afraid I’m a no for mushy peas ! My one gripe nowadays is the size of fish they serve . I shouldn’t really complain but the fish is so ginormous, I cant manage chips as well

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:45 pm

I do love a chippy with a decent house white

Isn't that in Scotland? ! prefer my vinegar brown :D

I do remember an article by John Arlott about a chippy not too far from Headingly. It seemed to be a treat he indulged each summer when up there for the Test. He recommended a white to go with that, iirc. Just can't remember which one :roll:

At the risk of being told they're not really eels, I love and prefer rock eel. What was a once a week staple is now once in a blue moon though. Like skate, the actual species hasn't always been the same in different places or over the years. Again like skate, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:53 pm

I wonder how long Nigella's enthusiasm for her newly acquired deep fryer lasted? Not long I suspect. I deep fry cod pieces or tempura veg about twice a year and that's it.

Her description and instructions are very good, although I'd add that chilling the pre-fried chips before their second high-heat fry apparently improves steamy softness inside the crisp carapace, as Nigella aptly calls the crisp outer that makes a perfect chip.

A TV prog showed that deep fried battered fish fillets should be rested stood up on end as fat/oil drained out quicker that way from both sides. Maybe oil collects with itself on the way down?

My mum used to be a huge fan of skate, until a couple of ammonia-tasting ones put her off. Nigella would have had to hide from haddock and chips lovers if Twitter had been around in 2000 ;)

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:04 pm

jeral wrote:
A TV prog showed that deep fried battered fish fillets should be rested stood up on end as fat/oil drained out quicker that way from both sides. Maybe oil collects with itself on the way down?

I'm not sure what you mean by "oil collects with itself" but the fish would be bound to drain better because of the smaller surface area that it drains down to (ie the lowest point).

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:41 pm

Yes, Pampy. I was musing whether oil was like mercury bobbles that join up, or remains as discrete droplets wending though a maze of batter gaps. Who cares? No-one of course :D Grapeseed oil seems more joined together but that could be my imagination or viscosity at temperature or not at all.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:06 pm

Half the fun of fish and chips is buying them and enjoying the smell of the shop and the anticipation as the food is placed onto the paper and sprinkled with salt and vinegar. No fancy trays, mushy peas or curry sauce required.

I have made them at home but found it a bit of a faff.

I'm afraid I can't get excited about skate.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:38 pm

My favourite fish & chip shop is Whelans in Lytham. The fish is always beautifully fresh and it is Rick Stein recommended

Postby Busybee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:51 pm

Inghams of Filey, Yorkshire caviar a must, lots and lots of salt and vinegar accompanied by a pot of tea. Heaven on a plate.

BB

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Silver St chippy in Whitby.

Postby aero280 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm

We have a very nice chippy that's opened here about a year ago. They have another branch in Harpenden.

http://www.godfreyschips.com

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:17 pm

The best fish & chips I ever ate was in Rye, Sussex, at Marino`s Fish & Chip Bar. Succulent cod and crispy chips, right up to the last bite.
We stopped by the kitchen before we left and talked to the cook - who was Lithuanian - and he reckoned the secret of good chips was to blanch, pre-cook, and then cook again.
I don`t doubt it.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:05 am

Bradford on Avon chippy was good for us. The golden crispy chips were ace. Can't bear floppy pale ones..... & pickled onion vinegar has to be the best one to use.

Like skate on the odd occasion but with black butter and mushy peas please !

Most F&C are brought home and re-crisped/heated under the grill.... So much better all round.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:19 pm

We both prefer haddock to cod, but these days even Northern chippys tend to offer cod rather than haddock. Mum enjoyed skate but like half-a-teabag, I like skate best with black butter.

Mushy peas with F&C are a must for me.. :yum

PS: Happy memories of Bradford on Avon. Me and dear, deceased friend used to always pop in for a wander, a slice of cake and a mug of coffee on our way back from Trowbridge Village Pump Festival in days of yore. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox