Register

Gardening resources and tips, etc.

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Gardening resources and tips, etc.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 am

Surely if they were “forced” they would have pale leaves, forcing, as you do with rhubarb makes things grow tall and place?

I suspect the man meant grown under industrial, indoor conditions ie hydroponically and mis-spoke

I bought some (straight, virtually no bulb) today and I’d guess they were grown hydroponically as they have a couple of cm of white roots with not a trace of grit, like a brush Very nice, had one in a lunch time salad, they are quite large

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:15 am

This is the post including a Youtube that Sakkarin posted re different types of spring onions. Just varieties and name though, not how grown (soil or not):
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3960&p=77198&hilit=scallions#p77199

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:32 am

Surely, as with most onions, it’s the variety that dictates the way the bulb forms.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:42 am

usually, unless they are grown really close together? and/or harvested before the bulb has swelled much?

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:23 am

Your second point is sort of what I meant Scully 8-) ... some swell earlier than others ... others don’t swell at all, being a bit like leeks in that respect. I’ve never found that growing them closer together stops the bulb swelling in varieties that produce a bulb early on.
I’ve a feeling that commercial growers, if their customers want a spring onion that doesn’t bulb up, will choose a variety that doesn’t do so ... this will give them more flexibility over harvesting so they can respond to demand from the packers/supermarkets rather than being forced to harvest when demand might be low, resulting in longer storage times and consequent impact on cost and quality.

Postby miss mouse » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Suffs wrote:Surely, as with most onions, it’s the variety that dictates the way the bulb forms.

Cultivar was my thought as well, there are also giant spring onions called 'continental onions' in that aisle.

Thanks Jeral, I'll look at that soon.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 pm

miss mouse wrote:...[clip]..
Thanks Jeral, I'll look at that soon.
Sorry, I'm not sure my link gets to the right post. Here's the Youtube directly, that Sakkarin kindly posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0kqBFZJ3o

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:21 pm

I planted two zantedeschia corms in one pot, from the same packet bought from Morrison's
Both were supposed to be Z. elliotta, the one with spotty broad leaves, which has had as it is meant to buttercup yellow calla lily flowers, The other is an entirely different zantedeschia species, as you can see narrow leaves and purple black flowers that will be ideal if I decide to become a goth. I had of course spotted I had 2 different flowers, but I hadn't appreciated how different the foliage was until I cleared out some candytuft yesterday

Postby miss mouse » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 am

jeral wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure my link gets to the right post. Here's the Youtube directly, that Sakkarin kindly posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0kqBFZJ3o

They both worked thanks Jeral. Doesn't he waffle and ramble. I am back to the 'cultivars' theory.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:39 pm

I just harvested these. Now what to do with them...

50185335826_0d32c5b3f9_c.jpg

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 am

What are they, Herbie? Never seen them before.

I have just spent what is probably a totally useless half hour picking mean, green, eating machines off my tomatoes. Green stripy caterpillars which are eating all the leaves and tucking in to the green tomatoes as well! AArghh - insecticides are almost impossible to come by here, because the régime is convinced that people buy them to make bombs, so unless I can fins an effective home made deterrent, my tomatoes may be condemned forever :shock: :shock:

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:23 am

they are whitecurrants - a white form of redcurrants (but not blackcurrants) -but a little sweeter. they are similar in pectin levels to redcurrants so can be used to set a low pectin fruit jam and flavour gin, amongst other things.
karadekoolaid wrote: insecticides are almost impossible to come by here, because the régime is convinced that people buy them to make bombs, so unless I can fins an effective home made deterrent, my tomatoes may be condemned forever

chilli spray?

Postby miss mouse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:39 am

karadekoolaid wrote:AArghh - insecticides are almost impossible to come by here,

1 teaspoon/5 mls washing-up liquid to 1 L water sprayed on is worth a go.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:58 am

Neem oil (if you can get it)?

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:00 pm

I have a couple of aloe veras in need of tlc - one has lots of pups, and they and it need repotting, the other is in dire need of repotting. Here's a pic of them (please don't report me to the prevention of cruelty to cacti league)! OH and DS have used the ale vera on various skin things, hence the cut leaves.

Is this the right sort of cactus soil to get?
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... ecda59cb4e

Thanks.
Attachments
Aloe vera .JPG
Aloe vera .JPG (102.89 KiB) Viewed 5886 times

Postby Suffs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Strictly speaking Aloe vera is an aloe not a cactus ;)
We grow ours in a mix of multipurpose peatfree compost and horticultural grit ... about 50:50
They seem to thrive on it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:35 pm

:oops: I stand corrected :oops:
Can it be classed as a succulent?

I now realise that I used absolutely the wrong sort of potting compost when I repotted them into their present pots. No wonder they haven't thrived, although I'm doubly impressed that one has had babies. It's obviously very determined!

We have very little space to store bags of potting compost etc so I think I need to get an all-in-one growing medium.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:45 pm

I use all purpose compost for everything, sometimes with potting grit mixed in Potting grit is ridiculously expensive in small packs but I suppose still cheaper than replacing plants

Yes, aloes are succulents - the babies may actually be a response to stress

I was very pleased that I got a small galvanised dustbin for £22 on Broadway Market which neatly holds my potting compost. The neighbours must think I’m collecting bins - I now have 3 on the terrace (black bin bag, recycling bag, the compost - 90L 60L 40L)

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Agree that the babies will be a stress response. I believe that plants produce more flowers and babies when they are in sub-optimal conditions, in order to keep the line alive.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
I was very pleased that I got a small galvanised dustbin for £22 on Broadway Market which neatly holds my potting compost. The neighbours must think I’m collecting bins - I now have 3 on the terrace (black bin bag, recycling bag, the compost - 90L 60L 40L)

What a good idea, Sue :idea: :idea:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff