Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm

That is a point about evaporation - shame about your perfume Stokey. I top up my little spray bottles regularly so doesn't seem to make too much difference. But did get me thinking.

That's a very interesting site Scullion.

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 pm

KeenCook2, any chance of an update? Hope both are well.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Hello jeral, thanks, no results on OH's test yet but he is really so much better. We're pretty confident he can't have the plague.
I went down with a vile headache at the beginning of the week, and apart from that had a lot of the same symptoms as OH - today I'm finally 100% again :thumbsup

Maybe we both had the same virus that targetted our personal weak spots! But how we got it would be a mystery as we've had practically no contact with the outside world for weeks!

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Phew KeenCook2 - good to hear that you're both on the up and up as what's happening on the ground is the main thing, test or no test.

I'm thinking of staying up all night and sleeping tomorrow to avoid the 34C heat forecast for tomorrow envisaging stuffiness and difficulty breathing (townie) plus high pollen count to boot. The freezer won't be short of ice-cubes being made aplenty today.

The council has just made this bit of road traffic access only, much to the howls of protest of those suffering the displaced traffic. Longer queueing causes more fumes overall so hardly a joined-up solution.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 pm

I'm not looking forward to the heat either, jeral. Although the temperature is going to be 34 degrees, it'll apparently feel like 37 here in west London .... at least that's what it said just now, the last time I looked it said it would feel like 38!!

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:10 am

I was told that the high alcohol hand gels can set alight when in a hot car.

Postby Pampy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 am

That's an urban myth - it would have to reach 350°C to ignite without a spark.

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:24 am

Thanks very much Pampy! I'll let Colin know!

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Well - after the last couple of months trying to be environmentally friendly and using a milkman who only uses recyclable packaging, I've had to give him the boot. At the beginning, it took several tries to get him to understand that the note that I put on my account - "please leave milk in porch" - actually meant "open the d*mn door and leave the milk inside". Then, when the weather got warmer (and after an advisory email from the company) I started to leave a cool box for the milk to be put in. The first time I left it, I attached a note explaining how to open it (it has a button on the side) and asking for the milk to be left there. All was well until the beginning of this week when he started to leave the milk outside again. After my complaint on Monday, it was left in the porch on Wednesday but right at the side of the cool box, not in it. Another complaint and the person I spoke to said they'd escalate it to the area manager - which had absolutely no effect whatsoever - Friday's delivery was also left at the side of the cool box. A dilemma now - do I try to find another milk man or just go back to getting it from the supermarket?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:30 pm

:lol: :lol: Sorry Pampy I know you don't find it funny......!

What time does he deliver? If it's not silly o'clock I think I'd surprise him & open the door & say ever so sweetly that you know your coolbox is a bit tricky to open & then show him how to do it - he'd have to use it then or really look like a moron!

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Thankfully our frontdoor step faces WNW

We’ve been having a milk delivery for 2/3 months now ... the only problem we’ve had so far was a couple of cracked eggs ... fingers crossed.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:26 pm

Pampy, it might be that milkmen are like online delivery men - i.e. have instructions to touch nothing within a customer's domain. Or even if no formal instructions, their instinct says "ditch and run". You might be stuck unless you can have the milk put in a shady spot somewhere or delivered at a time when you can take it in promptly.

Our online delivery people are instructed not to touch anything even delivered by them if a customer has picked it up. All part of staying safe, which suits me as they're less likely to transfer virus residues from one household to another on their round.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:01 pm

jeral wrote:have instructions to touch nothing within a customer's domain.

I totally get that - but he has to open the porch door thereby touching the handle to enter negating that theory.

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:01 pm

jeral wrote:Pampy, it might be that milkmen are like online delivery men - i.e. have instructions to touch nothing within a customer's domain. Or even if no formal instructions, their instinct says "ditch and run". You might be stuck unless you can have the milk put in a shady spot somewhere or delivered at a time when you can take it in promptly.

Our online delivery people are instructed not to touch anything even delivered by them if a customer has picked it up. All part of staying safe, which suits me as they're less likely to transfer virus residues from one household to another on their round.

As I said, he's been doing things right for a couple of months so absolutely no reason for him to stop doing it now. Plus the fact (again, as I said) that the company recently sent out an email advising customers to use cool boxes etc to keep the milk cool after delivery, even saying "...and your lovely milkman will be happy to leave the milk there...".

Lush - he does come at silly o'clock - usually around 1.30am - which is one of the reasons I'm so hacked off about him not using the coolbox - milk left in a warm porch doesn't keep very well!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Gawd - that is early - I can see why you're so hacked off - I'd still have a go of staying up & frightening the bejeebers out of him - if it's not so difficult to get another milk delivery round then I'd change if it carries on - fat chance round here - they're like hens teeth!

Postby aero280 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 pm

Our milkman comes early in the morning, usually around 5.30am... He can be contacted directly by text to change the order. If it's more than the number of pints, he needs to know well before 11pm when he leaves the depot.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:09 pm

To return to our earlier conversation, we're still waiting for OH's covid test result. Fortunately he's clearly fine and hasn't had any of the symptoms for ages now. He rang them on Friday and they said they'd chase it up and get back to him ... they collected it Sunday a week ago ...

One of my friends says it's more than likely they've lost it, which happened once to her, and when they finally got back to her they said it was "inconclusive" so she'd have to do it again.

She and her OH have both done quite a few now, having been invited to as part of the research project, and they've always had very speedy results from the drive-in testing centres.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Goodness KC2. That's really not very good is it? I'd wondered if the results had come but didn't like to ask.

Very pleased that both your OH and you seem to be well though!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:53 pm

Haaa! About covers it, although having spent my formative years in the bottom half, everyone that side of the river regards everyone in the top half as the losers, and now I live in the top half, everyone here looks on anyone in the bottom half as the losers, albeit posher losers.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox