Register

Disposing of waste

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Disposing of waste

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 am

I've got a half tin of coconut milk that's gone off, how would you get rid of it? I don't want to put it down the toilet or sink, because I know it will contribute to some fat mountain somewhere down the line, and it's not like cooking oil, where waste sites have special containers for it (I dump my used cooking oil off once a year or so).

Historically I probably diluted it with lots of washing up liquid and water, and put it down the sink, but I guess that's not really good for the environment.

Re: Disposing of waste

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:50 am

I usually wait until I’m just about to throw out the bin bag and tip a small amount of wet waste food in on top and rely on the other stuff to soak it up, if I can I put something fairly absorbent in first, perhaps a bit of newspaper or some packaging

I’ve got a load of plastic film to dispose of , usually I put it in the bin at the supermarket, but it’s now in the roped off bit

Postby Suelle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am

If you work out how much fat is in the remains of the milk, it's probably no more than gets into a sink full of dirty washing up water, or is washed out of a full dishwasher.

If you can't do as Sue suggests, I'd put it in a jar with a lot of detergent and a bit of water and shake to emulsify it, then dilute it, and wash it down the sink with a lot of hot water.

What I sometimes do with pure fat is put it into a bowl full of scrunched up paper towels to absorb it, then wrap in newspaper, and put in with the food waste/green bin.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 am

if you have a garden, you could put it in a disregarded corner and let the soil bacteria, which can deal with the oil, do it for you. they can't cope with gallons but the odd bit now and then can be processed. if you leave it out in a dish you may find that birds come and eat it - they don't have tastebuds.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 am

scullion wrote:if you have a garden, you could put it in a disregarded corner and let the soil bacteria, which can deal with the oil, do it for you. they can't cope with gallons but the odd bit now and then can be processed. if you leave it out in a dish you may find that birds come and eat it - they don't have tastebuds.

I do exactly that .. I have a wild patch at the bottom of the garden, currently full of nettles that just get a booster ;)

Postby Suelle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:51 am

scullion wrote:if you have a garden, you could put it in a disregarded corner and let the soil bacteria, which can deal with the oil, do it for you. they can't cope with gallons but the odd bit now and then can be processed. if you leave it out in a dish you may find that birds come and eat it - they don't have tastebuds.

Especially if it's allowed to soak into breadcrumbs!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:00 pm

I was going to say bury it too or compost it but maybe you haven't got a garden. Just thinking of a suitable headline if you were caught burying it in a local park :lol:.

I have been known to freeze things and put them in out with the rubbish in a tied plastic bag when the dustman is due. Otherwise, as others have said, you have to pour it into something absorbent.

We don't have food bins yet, are you allowed to pour liquid into them?

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:29 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I have been known to freeze things and put them in out with the rubbish in a tied plastic bag when the dustman is due.

Yes, that's one of my favourite tricks and I then forget and accumulate a number of UFOs in the freezer drawer :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:I have been known to freeze things and put them in out with the rubbish in a tied plastic bag when the dustman is due.

Yes, that's one of my favourite tricks and I then forget and accumulate a number of UFOs in the freezer drawer :lol: :lol:

I found one of those last week... :roll: :oops:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:39 pm

Ended up diluting it/washing up liquid, it wasn't as fatty as I thought.

Interesting idea using the freezer as a bin, I think I'll try that, the way I've been storing old chicken bones in the fridge is not the most hygienic thing to do, but with a fortnight between binshere, in this weather you have to do something.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:39 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:

You and me make a right pair, Pat :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

You and me make a right pair, Pat :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup :lol: :thumbsup :lol:

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 am

I think I need to rename my freezer "Roswell"!

Postby dennispc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am

I’ve been tipping fat on our garden for years. Not a problem until last Wednesday. One of our families came for a garden visit with their new dog - 12 weeks old - with back gate shout the whole garden is secure, except the little tike, found the bit of fat I’d tipped there the day before and was eating it, including great clumps of soil!
In future I’ll put rolled oats in the pan, or stale bread (rare) and let the birds have it.

Food waste in freezer - we leave a not for ourselves so as not to forget. Well that's the theory.

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Do be careful of giving fat from cooking to birds - not good for them http://ww2.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rspb-ne ... -for-birds
Last edited by Pampy on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:28 pm

I put the unwanted fat in the fridge until cold and as firm as it’s going to get ... them it’s scraped into the food waste bin and put out for collection.
Oil from deep frying is cooled ... poured into a bottle and placed next to to the recycling bin on its fortnightly collection day ... it’s collected and turned into biofuel.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:32 pm

My cooking oil goes into the barrel that is collected from the restaurant next door

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:32 pm

[my bold]
Is that so? On US TV they find buried bodies from the adipose (body fat) which seems to remain evidently in the soil. Does the UK have more omnivorous worms or ants or other soil eaters? Curious is all.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 pm

Assuming a human body weighs 80kg and is 25% fat - that’s 20 kg of fat all in one place, with other stuff Even a small skinny body would probably have 10 kg

A bit different from a cup of food waste in direct contact with soil :D

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 am

So, volume which makes sense. Maybe that's why in some cultures bodies were burnt to return only the bone ash to the ground. Of course, the atmosphere could cope with a bit of smut that would eventually rain down to earth before humans became a volume problem. We are a nuisance aren't we :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox