Register

Aubergine

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Aubergine

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:41 pm

My mum has shared a recipe for a Indian(ish) flavoured aubergine and tomato dip. Apparently my unfoody stepdad (who describes everything as 'nice') said it was absolutely delicious. I'm making it this weekend. I'll report back and share if it is good!

Postby Mamta » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:01 pm

I wonder what Indian dish it is ! Will wait for it.
Mamta

Postby halfateabag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:08 am

While the oven was on last Thursday I baked half an aubergine so will be making babaganouche later this morning. He loves anything aubergine.... :yum

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:18 pm

Aubergine koftas is this week's Guardian vegan offering from Meera Sodha. They look very nice!

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... nach-sauce

Postby Mamta » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Aubergine koftas is this week's Guardian vegan offering from Meera Sodha. They look very nice!

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... nach-sauce

They do look lovely. I love aubergines.
You can make koftas out of virtually any vegetable, whatever you have going begging.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Oooh, that recipe looks good, PP!
I think I might just have that for lunch today as I`ve got all the ingredients!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/aug/03/rachel-roddy-recipe-aubergine-with-tomatoes-melanzana-al-funghetto

Is there a catch to 'register for free' ? I can't read these recipes now as I am requested to register (for free ;) )

Postby smitch » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:29 pm

I always get a second option that says ‘I’ll do it later’. I have registered but am not usually signed in.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:41 am

Made the Melanzane al funghetto, PP- Accompanied by chunks of salty white cheese and potatoes.
Deifinitely a keeper.
While I was making it I remembered something I`d made a few years ago: fried aubergines with ketjap manis. Ketjap manis is an Indonesian soy-based condiment which is very easy to make and keeps forever.
500 mls soy sauce
320 gms palm sugar, jaggery or dark brown sugar
2 pieces star anise
4 large cloves garlic
4 cms ginger
Place the soy sauce and the sugar in a saucepan. Add the star anise. Crush the garlic cloves and slice the ginger and add them to the pan. Bring to a boil, then lower the temperature to medium. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by about a third. Discard the anise, garlic and ginger and pour the ketjap manis into a (clean) sauce bottle.
So to make the dish, I cut the aubergines into small pieces and fried them gently in oil. When they were browned, I added a slosh of ketjap manis, warmed the dish through, and that was it.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 am

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:24 pm

I wish OH liked aubergines! One of my best friends and I used to have aubergine feasts together until she moved back to North Wales!

But to be fair, it's virtually the only thing I really like that he doesn't! And he loves liver, which I don't!

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:08 pm

I had a lovely aubergine dish from JO new book . You roast the aubergine whole then make a salsa/pesto style thing with feta olives mint almonds honey lemon juice and olive oil then split the aubergine in half and fill with it

Postby Renee » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:26 pm

What a lovely meal Amy! I must try that and I'll get JO's new book too.

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:27 pm

I just love all those kinds of flavour and it was really good and tasty . I’ve diced the other aubergine up with the salsa and might mix with giant couscous for a salad

Aubergines

Postby Amyw » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:43 pm

On the “What you are eating “ thread , there was a discussion about aubergines , so I thought I’d start a thread about them . I absolutely love aubergines . First time I ever tried them was in a moussaka which I still love now . I also think aubergines are amazing in curry , great for absorbing all the flavours . Sometimes as a quick pasta dish , I fry cubes of aubergine , diced fresh tomatoes , garlic and a splash of white wine then toss with some pasta and good olive oil

Re: Aubergines

Postby Suelle » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:57 pm

I'm a big fan too, although I find them too big for single portions of anything, so only use them for things which can be frozen, such as curries and ratatouille!

The nicest aubergine dish I ever had was deep fried aubergine in batter, in a Chinese restaurant.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby mistakened » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:16 am

I am very lucky, I can get several types of local aubergines in any vegetable shop including the classic small, white egg shaped aubergine, they are glycoed.
We had aubergine last night.

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am

I really want to experiment more with aubergines. I have one ready to use for the stuffed aubergine recipe from the Las Chimeneas book and have found a nice-looking potato-free Mousakka recipe.

Until I discovered baking them, I didn't do well with aubergines as if you get frying wrong they absorb fat like crazy and mine always did and if you leave them raw for two seconds they go brown. I love Baba Ganoush and it was a joy to discover how easy it was to bake whole aubergines until they were squishy. Baking slices will be my next experiment.

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 pm

I love aubergine in a curry, one of my favourites is cubes added to a slowly cooked lamb keema, the aubergine pretty much melts into the sauce.
One I often make if I'm having folk round though it also works well for a few days lunches. is a salad. Thinly slice an aubergine lengthwise, lightly oil the slices then bake or griddle until soft and brown. Pop the slices while hot along with any cooking juices in a bowl and cover tightly. Cool completely then chop the slices into bite sized pieces retaining the liquid that will have gathered. Mix the liquid with a clove of crushed garlic, red wine vinegar wine vinegar, oregano, a pinch of sugar, salt & pepper and pour over the chopped veg. Marinate for at least a couple of hours. I usually make it in the morning to have in the evening. Remove from the fridge about an hour before you want it and just before serving stir in diced cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta and lots of rocket.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox