Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby smitch » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I think if you get a wooden structure you need to check very carefully how the wood has been treated. Some are the standard of Scandinavian homes and others need a new coat of wood protection every year. I've only got a small shed but with the latter and it's a job I hate. I think the extra expense is worth it in the long run.

Good point EM, definitely something I'll consider as it is a job I hate too!

Postby Pampy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:45 pm

I see Tesco are changing their delivery prices https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... changes-uk

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:28 pm

That's weird, just 6 days after my post here saying I was looking for a doctor closer to home, I've just received a letter from my GP telling me to find a new GP within 30 days because I'm not in their catchment area! I've been with them for 15 years.

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:13 pm

Good luck finding another one Sakkarin.

This is worrying! Scroll down to the paragraph about US warning about hand sanitisers.

https://tinyurl.com/y3m7lldp

Perhaps it's ethanol that's used in our alcohol-based hand sanitisers.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Sakkarin wrote:That's weird, just 6 days after my post here saying I was looking for a doctor closer to home, I've just received a letter from my GP telling me to find a new GP within 30 days because I'm not in their catchment area! I've been with them for 15 years.

My son who has been in our Pinner practice since he was born 39 years ago has lived all over the Watford area for the last 15 years. He’s been in Abbots Langley for the last ten. He is still at The Pinn. And yes, they know where he lives. In fact we are two miles away from it and have never been in the catchment.

I hope you find somewhere good Sakks.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Renee wrote:Good luck finding another one Sakkarin.

This is worrying! Scroll down to the paragraph about US warning about hand sanitisers.

https://tinyurl.com/y3m7lldp

Perhaps it's ethanol that's used in our alcohol-based hand sanitisers.

Most UK sanitisers are based on ethanol (Carex, obviously all the ones made by gin distillers) or isopropyl alcohol

Both should be fine - I’m not sure EU regs would allow the use of large amounts of methanol (haven’t looked it up)

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Pampy wrote:I see Tesco are changing their delivery prices https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... changes-uk

Well I never. Just had an email saying that Amazon Fresh is now free delivery (over £40) and no supplementary charge, i.e. as long as you're a Prime member that's the only cost now. I wonder if Jeff Bezos sits with a white Persian cat on his lap whilst continuing his bid for world domination Mwahahahaha.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:45 pm

There was a piece about that in the Guardian email this morning ...it made me quite cross but if he can get away with it then obviously he will :evil:.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... GTUK_email

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Appreciate some people don't have a choice but I boycott Amazon.

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Thanks for the information Sue. I did read that Carex was the best.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:34 am

Just got an email from Ocado saying they are re-opening the website later this week. I am a priority customer and they say I'll still be able to get priority bookings for the next few weeks.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:27 am

Great, we've got Carex at our sinks.
I actually bought some isopropyl alcohol as I have a vintage face compact that is an unusual petite size, for my handbag. And I have to buy loose powder and I mix & set it with the alcohol, making my own compact filler. It works too.

I've never used online delivery, but will take it up soon, as our nearest big supermarket will be quite a distance, and not just down the road.
Pleased you're still a priority, Pampy. For the time being anyway.

Re catchment area, my current GP is further away but is in my catchment area. There is a practice nearer, but I wasn't able to register with them.
A bit odd.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 am

Gillthepainter wrote:I have a vintage face compact that is an unusual petite size, for my handbag. And I have to buy loose powder and I mix & set it with the alcohol, making my own compact filler. It works too.

interesting, i have a tiny, coty compact (that i always thought was for rouge) that has a metal removable pan. it has never occurred to me that it could be for ordinary powder.
what's your recipe for the powder mix? (not that i use it).

ps. s'ok, i found a vid on you tube.

Postby dennispc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Last five minutes of Points West on Monday evening, featured a woman who was in the final of Shed of the Year, Summerhouse section. She lived in Cheltenham - I think - was at one time her studio, but now she’s installed a kitchen.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:33 pm

One of my little covid research projects is germicides (virocides?) and sars-cov2 virus lifespan in/on different materials and mediums especially after commercial hand sanitizer basicaly disappeared from shop shelves.

I've posted some of these links before but here again to recap.

Best hand washing with proper soap. I also use soap for almost all fruit and veg washing.
Because
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... infectants

Alcohols. I was able to get some 91% isopropyl early on thanks to a kind online order pick up person at my local xxxx who added some to my order after I ordered vodka which doesn't work.

Found out that alcohol works best at and should be diluted to 70% by volume. I now use it instead commercial gel hand sanitizer. It takes 20- 30 seconds for the virus to be destroyed with 70% isopropyl.

Isopropyl works best at 70% dilution with water.
Because:
https://ehs.umich.edu/wp-content/upload ... l-FAQs.pdf

"Solutions of 70% alcohol should be left on surfaces for 30 seconds (including phones) to ensure they will kill viruses. Pure (100%) alcohol evaporates too quickly for such use."

You can DIY isopropyl and other alcohol dilutions if needed when 70% is not to hand. Works with any alcohol btw! Good for cocktails. Bottoms up.
https://www.easycalculation.com/health/ ... ulator.php

I use 100ml empty refillable glass face spray bottles that have screw on pumps (my herbal n nice smelly stuff you spray on your face to cool off!). My bottles are cobalt blue glass that I'd saved but never knew what to do with. Any clean refillable spray bottle will work.

When I'm out I liberally spray everything I'm going touch like shopping trolleys, door handles and credit cards after use if inserted rather than contactless. One in the vehicle when driving. I spray car door handles when returning, steering wheel, cards etc etc. after putting shopping in boot for later decon. One in the outer to-be-worn-in-one-shop-once-only garment pocket (along with disposable gloves) ready to deploy when out in person. I have a rubbish bag for gloves and masks that will be dispised if ir decontaminated later.

I prefer 70% alcohol spray to goopy gel hand sanitisers.

Stokey - methanol is toxic and is also absorbed through the skin.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.
One in the vehicle when driving.

Do you keep it in the car? I've read that the alcohol can evaporate if left in a car when it's warm.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:36 am

Pampy, it's in a closed bottle. It recondenses so you don't lose any mass to speak of. . Alcohol (and all liquids) only evaporate down when open to the air..

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:19 pm

closed or airtight? we all know that perfume can evaporate if not completely airtight - along with gin...!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:24 pm

I was really annoyed, I wasn't bothering with scent during deep lock down of course, but I decided I had enough sense of smell I'd like a good squirt of my best Givenchy - the spray bottle was completely dry, despite having been tightly capped
There wasn't a lot left in February, but there had been enough to be worth keeping, I'm not one of those people who keeps the empty bottles unless refillable, and this one was factory sealed :(

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:32 pm

interesting site that gives cases reported in the last 14 days per country. click through to find regional graphs for the uk since february.
the nearest i can find for current figures rather than cumulative.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox