Register

Felicity makes hummus

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Felicity makes hummus

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... ity-cloake

(I can't participate in this as I don't care for hummus much).

Re: Felicity makes hummus

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:37 pm

Hmm - no no no to bicarbonate, to peeling chickpeas or to cumin. Think she had an off day

I’m a bit surprised anyone as young as FC would use bicarbonate, the rubbishy chickpeas we used to get from hippy whole food cooperatives benefitted from it but decent supermarket ones don’t need it; she does say optional tbf but you really don’t want it, especially as she uses some of the cooking water. And 200g dried chickpeas when cooked will be about 450g, more like 2 x 400g cans, as the drained weight of a 400g can is 240g or a bit less

I have tried peeling the chickpeas, and my conclusion is that if it improves your hummus either you are undercooking them (I use a pressure cooker) or you need a new blender. Adding a little oil when blending makes it smoother and is usual

I just don’t like cumin in hummus, and have never detected in hummus made by anyone from the Middle East, at least she uses enough tahini, garlic, and lemon

Re: Felicity makes hummus

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:44 pm

agree on all accounts with sue - and i've never had humous with cumin in, either.
the only thing i've started doing differently in the past couple of years is swapping out the lemon juice and salt for a couple of chunks of (home made) preserved lemon.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox