Register

Slow cooker recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Slow cooker recipes

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:12 am

Re: Slow cooker recipes

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:29 am

In very hot weather I prefer to use the IP than the oven. I might well braise something in it and serve with new pots and seasonal veg as a Sunday dinner.

When we had the clapped-out Hibatchi it could be used for a couple of bits and pieces in scorching weather, but the current barbeque (inspired by Dr Sweetsmoke, bless him) is a big thing for just the two of us. I meant to buy a Cobb for this purpose but haven't go a round tuit

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 am

Some interesting uses there. I have to admit to being a bit set in my ways to
bother trying some of them.

I think that slow cooked chicken cooked with just lemon juice, garlic and herbs, makes the best chicken to be served cold :yum .

Postby Suffs » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:04 am

Oh yes EM .... especially with tarragon :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:33 pm

I thought some of the recipes sounded good, but really didn’t fancy the potat salad

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:12 pm

The potato salad did sound odd didn't it? I wondered if it was based on something traditional from another country that I wasn't familiar with (like some of the German or eastern European recipes which are often delicious). I'd have to make quite a lot to cover the bottom of my (not huge) slow cooker, otherwise I'd experiment.

Postby Busybee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:04 pm

It’s a cool windy day here, I have dug the slow cooker out and it’s currently suffusing the house with the smell of a lamb hotpot base. Not at all seasonal but I’m looking forward to devouring it tomorrow when it’s had a chance to develop it’s flavour.

BB

Postby Pampy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:43 pm

I haven't used my IP for a few months but got it out this morning and it's currently cooking teriyaki chicken - smells lovely!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm

I replaced my (cheap) slow cooker and (ancient) pressure cooker with the Instant Pot (IP) a few years ago. The first thing I ever cooked in it was chicken on 2 quartered onions, (no fluid) and set to slow cook for 4 hours. It is a revelation in taste and the juice that ends up in the pot, blitzed with the softened onions make THE most delicious jus I have ever tasted.

The complete opposite of that is doing a whole chicken, almost covered in water, with bay leaves, other herbs of choice, peppercorns and an onion in the IP, but setting it to cook at high pressure for zero minutes, then leaving it on 'keep warm' for about an hour.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am

It is a revelation in taste and the juice that ends up in the pot, blitzed with the softened onions make THE most delicious jus I have ever tasted.

It's the standard method I use for pheasants and partridges these days. Maybe a bit of carrot and celery, garlic or leek as well as the onion. The original bird would have had a splash of white wine too. Leftover gravy is frozen for the next batch.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:37 am

Pheasants and Partridges are not on my menu at all BM :( :lol: I'm pleased if I can get hold of Guinea Fowl. :clap :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:20 pm

I'm pleased if I can get hold of Guinea Fowl

We like them too. There's one in the freezer, I'm seriously thinking of poaching it to eat cold on Friday, given the forecast.

Our butcher sells pheasants & partridge. We can also get them from local farm shops and FMs. I usually come back with one or the other when we visit Norfolk. We had some lovely partridge last winter.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 pm

Haven’t looked in lockdown but Waitrose usually have guinea fowl, used to be French but more recently from Norfolk

Last time I got game was at Alexandra Palace farmer’s market just before Christmas

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:52 pm

They do. Iceland often has game too. Lidl occasionally. And Costco if you're feeding the 5000.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Sainsbury and Waitrose both do Guinea fowl, we've had them over the summer, but all French. (Gallic shrug smiley)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox