Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 pm

jeral wrote:
I buy sundried toms in a jar and the oil is the best bit!

Yes, we save it and use it on our roast veg and also to marinate the feta chunks for a tomato galette.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:18 pm

So, almost finished cooking Ottolenghi's buttery parmesan-braised chickpeas. I am not sure if I am going to do the chillis to go on top of it... I very much understand it might need something sharp and hot to cut through the richness but not sure I want the heat. I could tentatively experiment with some bottled jalepenos, I suppose... I have no spinach so some young cavolo nero from the garden instead.

It's always nice to have an excuse to use my rarely used Le Creuset casserole dish...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:56 pm

Looking forward to hearing how it was, Herbi :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 pm

Thanks again for the advice on the scones, folks - they turned out just fine, the client was fascinated and there were some left over for my breakfast.
I also made naan for the lunch. I´ve made it many times before and it never quite came out as soft as I´d like it, but then I realised the oven was way too high. Lower temperature - great results. They accompanied a version of "chole" - curried chickpeas, which I made just for me!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:15 pm

It was good. Husband not only ate some but had seconds. (And accidentally ate some rind... :o )

It is quite a luxurious dish, I suppose, in terms of fat and cost, and disappointingly little is left. (OH is a big eater...)

I must have put 80 grinds of black pepper in it :)

It's made me think thought that cooking chickpeas from scratch is not the terribile faff I thought it was.

It's cacio e pepe inspired - something I love and have tried to make without success.

That sounds like a very nice meal, Clive. And glad the scones went down well. I must make some again. I have clotted cream at the moment.

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:18 pm

I haven’t posted in ages. Herbi - that chick pea dish sounds lovely. Must look it up.

I had a nice weekend food wise but not as much cooking as I’d like. Friday night was a fabulous burger. Saturday lunch was a Caesar salad with mahi. Dinner was New York strip steak. OH wanted risotto with it so I made a cauliflower and kale variety which was really quite nice.

Yesterday was eggs benedict for brunch. Dinner was leftover risotto. I have a salad with goat’s cheese and chickpeas for lunch. Dinner will be mahi in a tomato sauce with olives and oregano.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:26 pm

On Sunday we had a chicken tray bake with chicken leg joints, parboiled baby potatoes
and courgette chunks with rosemary and thyme and olive oil ... and runner beans from the garden. Yum.

Yesterday supper was a courgette and mint frittata with some cheese scones for carbs for OH.

Tonight’s supper will be panfried plump plaice fillets (bought from Southwold Harbour last week). We’ll have them with minted baby potatoes and runner beans from the garden. I’ve really missed good fresh fish during the lockdown.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Sounds lovely Suffs.

Last night we had toad in the hole with onion gravy and savoy cabbage.

Tonight we had this lemon and savoy cabbage pasta with garlic crumbs. I added spinach and a little feta that needed using up. The bread crumbs were made using some cheese and chilli bread from the freezer.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cre ... lic-crumbs

Shop bought chocolate mousse with raspberries for dessert.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:07 pm

Sliced onion and garlic, chopped cooked sausages, garden peas and broad beans from the garden, all stirred through wholewheat pasta.

Don't forget the drizzle of olive oil.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 pm

Mmmm, you do all make your food sound good. Those crumbs with the pasta dish sound lovely OMCO.

I'm afraid it's just been various forms of stir fry or salads here (which I love). Tonight it was a 'melt in the middle' fish cake which was rtc in Sainsburys earlier. It was going to be with an assortment of sauteed veg but as I started to cook the fish cake, I discovered that a zoom meeting I had thought was tomorrow, was tonight - so it was a quick salad accompaniment instead!

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 am

OMCO - the pasta dish sounds lovely. I do something similar with sprouts.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:57 am

As Tony's not been eating so much, I've made what I want. And have had prawns 4 nights in a row.
Prawn pasta, prawns and stir fried rice, lemon prawn & piri piri (I love this sauce as it uses the seeds too of the chilli for the sauce)
& prawn and spicy noodle

I'm still not prawned out, but we'll have something with chicken tonight. Maybe marinated in the last of my piri piri

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:45 pm

I finally got hold of filo pastry so it's the spanakopita cigars tonight, with green salad.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... ita-cigars

Postby Kacey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:43 pm

Cooking chickpeas from scratch is less of a faff if you can do a decent sized batch.

Every now and then I have a pulses Sunday morning and soak a kilo each chickpeas, black beans, black eyed peas etc on a Saturday night. I can just about get that amount of each in my pressure cooker once they've swollen. Probably takes an hour to get them all cooked, then its just cooling and bagging up into portions and into the freezer.

They all defrost in minutes in the mricrowave.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:50 pm

I enjoy cooking beans from scratch & don't use a pressure cooker - it's somehow therapeutic...!

Monday was a chicken Thai green curry - yesterday, an overcast day so cornbeef hash......& tonight lamb meatballs with linguine.

Postby Renee » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:57 pm

What lovely food you're all having! I've really enjoyed reading through.

I've been doing the Dr Michael Mosley's Fast 800 Diet for a couple of weeks, but I had a day off and included potato today. It was sea bass fried in a small amount of olive oil and butter, a McCain's Jacket, microwaved for 5 minutes then cut into four thick slices, sprayed with oil, sprinkled herbs on and grilled with tomatoes and mushrooms. I microwaved some frozen leaf spinach.

P1010988.JPG
P1010988.JPG (199.79 KiB) Viewed 5494 times

Postby smitch » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:28 am

Tea last night was stuffed pasta shells baked in tomato sauce. The filling was veggie sausages, onion, pepper, spinach, ricotta with fennel seeds and a bit of chilli.

I have no idea about tonight, maybe burgers? Will see what happens :lol:

Postby Amyw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 pm

Funnily enough the other day at work I cooked the girls McCains jackets . I didn’t try them myself but thought they looked really nice and crispy skinned . Your dinner looks lovely Renee

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:42 pm

I've never tried those McCains jackets - I must look out for them - they look handy.

Bright & early at the fishmongers this morning resulted in plaice fillets for tonight & 3 good-sized crabs ( 2 Laydees & 1 gent ) for tomorrow which The Lushly has just finished cracking & dressing...... :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Tonight will be Mamta's prawn and spinach curry, served with chapatis and salad

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox