Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:14 pm

thanks for the advice!
I´ll do them fresh on Friday morning!! :)

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Tonight it will be a quick cauliflower cheese, it will serve for one of tomorrow's meals.

The quick version is microwaved cauliflower pieces, covered in a cheese sauce and baked fror a few minutes to brown the top.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:00 pm

Not sure whether to put this here or on the baking thread to be honest
Been meaning to do this all through lock downs
I made a pizza, first one I've made from scratch for about 25 years
I had made tomato sauce and frozen it a couple of weeks ago so I thawed a portion
I made the dough this morning, half plain flour, half bread flour, half a sachet of instant yeast, 300 g in total, tad each salt sugar and olive oil, 200 ml approx of warm water (I didn't use all of it, quite)
Mixed, kneaded a bit, left to rise, knocked back several times; I have been looking at the recipes for simple pizza dough and been surprised by the proving time, then I heard Tim Heywood on Kitchen Cabinet last weekend say that the trick to thin & crispy pizza dough is to over prove it (well actually he said to kn---r it) so it had about 6 hours at room temperature
I heated the oven to max, and heated a black iron frying pan on the hob
I rolled a quarter of my dough to a circle to fit on the pan, dropped it in, and topped it with 2 spoons of tomato, half a ball of mozzarella torn up, some anchovies, and some torn basil, I should have had the pan a bit hotter ideally
Transferred to the oven and cooked a few minutes until the dough smelled cooked and coloured a bit round the edges,not bad at all, next time I'll be braver with the frying pan

Postby halfateabag » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:29 am

i'm with them Kool, the scone mix needs cooking when the dry and wet are mixed.....

I tried the waiting game with some dumpling mix some years ago for a dinner party and that did not work either....

Postby Amber » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:34 pm

Re the scones, I agree with everyone else that they’ll be better baked fresh. (Science etc)

However, I used to know someone who’d make up a sponge cake mixture, and then put it in the cake tin in the fridge overnight, ready to bake in the morning.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:42 am

On Wednesday we made spicy sausage, tomato and fennel pasta.

Last night we had venison minute steaks with charred baby onion petals and a red wine, balsamic and blackcurrrant sauce. Plus rosemary potatoes and some green veg on the side.

No idea about tonight. We have lots of courgettes, tomatoes and salad so they will feature.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am

I'm afraid I can't help myself, this is what I always picture when I see "minute steak".

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:52 am

:lol: :lol:

The OMCO gourmet meals just keep coming. Those children are so lucky!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Ha! Luckily they were a little bigger than that :D

EM...the kids had chicken with baked beans and corn on the cob last night :lol: We have to eat later than them a few nights a week because of OHs commute.

The eldest is really enjoying using a pestle and mortar though, she did well on the rosemary, sea salt and fennel seeds for the pasta a few nights ago!

Friends have asked us to go for dinner at a restaurant with a large outdoor eating area tonight so the courgettes etc can wait until tomorrow.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:38 pm

I have just put some chickpeas to soak to make Ottolenghi's Buttery parmesan-braised chickpeas:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... san-braise

60g of parmesan rind seems like quite a lot. I usually buy it in 200g wedges from the supermarket. Presumably he buys much bigger pieces. (Naturally...) Should I just add extra freshly grated?

Not sure what we are having tonight, but I have prepped some beans....

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:10 pm

Today has been largely salt and sugar so tonight is piri piri chicken with potatoes, peas & broad beans from the garden.

Might make amends for the croissants, cake and crisps consumed until now.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 pm

We had a sort of baked shakshuka using up some left-over roast veg with some ready-made tomato bolognese-type sauce.
Attachments
A sort of shakshuka ....JPG
A sort of shakshuka ....JPG (12.56 KiB) Viewed 5977 times

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:55 pm

I ended up doing an omelette with violet beans, comte and smoked paprika.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Eggs look good Keencook.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with buttered thick toast and some Fortnum's hot sauce.

We shared some garlic pizza bread and salad in the gym restaurant...I managed my first gym class since lockdown started. I’ll feel that tomorrow!

Dinner was Nigel Slaters pork rib ragu with pappardelle and lots of parmesan.

We’re thinking of a summery lamb stew for tomorrow. I’ve seen one on the Chatsworth website which is a summer lamb, herb and lemon stew. We’ve got some crusty apricot bread to have on the side and we’ll also cook some greens with it. Maybe gremolata, although that might be a flavour too far. Will see.
Last edited by OneMoreCheekyOne on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:19 pm

herbidacious wrote:...[clip]...

60g of parmesan rind seems like quite a lot. I usually buy it in 200g wedges from the supermarket. Presumably he buys much bigger pieces. (Naturally...) Should I just add extra freshly grated?

The rind is to add flavour usually which is more concentrated even than the cheese and is then discarded, so I'd just use the rind you have. The butter/grated parmesan quantities I assume will be precise to ensure that the cheese emulsifies in the butter.

If grated cheese were added to the simmering cooking water, I assume it would turn to a gluey blob like cheddar does and add little flavour, and if no more will emulsify with the given amount of butter, then extra would be via the side dish, if needed. Just my thinking.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:19 am

Oh no, i wasn't proposing adding sceese to the stock! But I might have added it later on. Ok, on the side, then it is! My husband will not be eating this, I suspect... !
Last edited by herbidacious on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby smitch » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:32 am

Yesterday we had Dishoom-style breakfast sandwiches in naan bread. I made a lasagna for tea and we ate a lot more of it than intended :oops: Should still have enough left for another meal if I add some salad. We also had some of the brownies I made. In my quest to ensure they were not overcooked and gooey rather than cakey, I undercooked them a bit. Still taste nice even if a spoon is needed :lol:

I’ve just had mushrooms on toast for breakfast. I added a few of the dried smoked tomatoes from Belazu along with a dash of the oil from the tub. I really enjoyed them.

Tonight we’ll be having some of the vegan pies I bought online. Not sure what will be alongside them, will see how hungry we are.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:49 pm

herbidacious wrote:...My husband will not be eating this, I suspect... !

Nor would I be, as butter allergy lol, but love the intense black pepper flavour - it's as if all else is merely to carry/support/calm that, a bit like how Sezechuan peppers numb/calm hot chillis. I'd be tempted to have a side of green beans to counter all that creaminess, if you just happen to have any.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:07 pm

smitch, please tell more about vegan pies brand - if any good and assuming not meat imitations for moi. Vegan bakes, like lasagne or pie/tart I've tried, seem to taste of acrid uncooked garlic to me, so all once never again and back to home made.

I buy sundried toms in a jar and the oil is the best bit! Not really of course but it certainly doesn't get wasted, not when small oily black olives and mushrooms are around, or the olives and toms with small pieces pre-boiled spud all sauteed together to go alongside a big stuffed Portabello mushroom. (Simple stuffing of Paxo sage & onion + hint Marmite or tamari, then a spot of grated cheese under grill to finish it). Might make that today if I can wangle some Yorks puds in there somewhere.

Postby smitch » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:11 pm

Jeral, they’re from a company called Young Vegans https://www.youngvegans.co.uk/shop

Most are mock meat but we’re trying the veg pie tonight.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox