Register

Rice

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Rice

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:54 am

What do people eat brown rice with?

It's something I like, just can't figure out what it suits that'd be better than Basmati or fragrant/sticky white rice. Ta.

Postby smitch » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:19 am

I prefer the taste of brown rice so use it with most things. Alongside a curry, in a stir fry or one pot concoction, or as the ‘carb’ element of my plate.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:59 am

Me too, it's what we generally have with a curry or chilli. I've not tiddled around with short grain brown (yet) to see what it would do to a risotto, sushi or rice pud, I suspect the texture would be all wrong in all three.

I've been using a bit of red rice for salads over the summer, too.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:47 am

I have it with most things too (it is, IMO, especially good in salads). I do like white and other rices and would use them for some dishes or to feed guests but it feels naughty to have a carb element to a meal with the fibre removed (pasta is another matter!) and have been eating it for so long I am used to it now.

I have never tried it with risotto, can you get brown risotto rice? It would be a whole new learning curve with timings.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:41 pm

Like others, I use brown rice a lot as an everyday rice. I usually steam it and serve plain. I just think that a bit of extra wholeness in food is always a good thing.

My rice larder is pretty pretty basic & consists of lots of long grain brown rice, white basmati, which is my favourite rice but don't cook all that often, and asian type sushi rice. I bought a large bag of brown basmati a couple of months ago, which I should break out and use. Any opinions on brown basmati? No risotto rice as I don't make it very often so buy as needed.

I do sometimes soak basmati rice, which gives a really lovely result, but have to take care to shorten the cooking time, which might be one if the reasons for soaking.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks folks for the ideas for brown rice uses. As or with a salad certainly appeals as I hadn't thought of it cold. Maybe with titchy broccoli florets, cress or rocket, radishes and a tree fruit element or two. Ideal for summer, which is due mid August I learn 8-)

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:44 am

I'm a basmati rice soaker, yes shortens cooking time, makes the tricity bills less !

I am a bit of an Imelda when it comes to rice. I have a plethora of rice types, all the ones that have been mentioned.. + wild rice which I add to 'boring' rice to make it more interesting to eat and look at. I even bought broken Turkish rice to make my dolmades, it sticks together better.

We eat rice about once a week and leftover rice is invaluable in my book. Never had a problem with rice poisoning???? Don't often freeze it unless we are going away, just use it in a day or so.... Although I do reheat it thoroughly.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Any opinions on brown basmati?

It's specified in the Blessed Delia's Chicken Basque. That's good enough for me and very nice it is too. However, these days I use brown long grain of an unspecified variety.

Postby dennispc » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm

A Hello Fresh meal this week had risotto rice - cooked in the oven - turned out fine, well in terms of the rice. Grated cheese was added which made it a bit of a sticky mess, in my opinion.

Basmati rice in another one was similar to how many of you do it. 150g rice with 300ml water. Water into medium saucepan with tight lid, stir in rice and quarter of salt. Cover with lid, bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn heat to lowest setting. Leave for 10 minutes, remove pan from heat and leave on the side for another ten minutes.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:47 am

Thanks for that, BM. That looks interesting. We're having salmon tonight so I think I might inaugurate the bag of brown basmati with that and go on from there.

That's the one, with rice, dennispc. Risotto, grated cheese and baked would be your gratin - hence the goo! How does that work - do you just get the ingredients and throw together or do you get a recipe with it?

What timings do people use for plain brown rice in general and brown basmati in particular? I have my 'perfect' timings but often wonder if others vary?

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:32 am

the rice salad that i always used to make is - brown rice, chopped (diced?) red pepper, chopped green pepper, chopped (not too small) walnuts, raisins and dressed with a little tamari and a little black pepper.

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:04 am

When I cooked brown rice in the past, I simmered it for about 35 mins all the time after 20 mins thinking "It must surely be done by now...". That was a long time ago though, so rice might be different now.

Hang about, what does it say on the packet? Probably best to go by that.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:43 am

Brown rice ( which is white rice with the husk on it) is delicious; far nuttier and tastier than ordinary, white, polished rice, but it does take longer to cook. 35-40 minutes for me. I also suppose it´s far healthier because the husk is still there.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 am

There is a middle way for those who find brown rice heavy going - parboiled (also sometimes called steamed) rice. The raw, newly harvested rice is parboiled before the husk is removed and it is dried so that only the outer husk, the coarse bran is taken off and the inner husk is left in place holding in more of the nutrients and flavour
This is popular in Turkey and South India, in Kerala they grow a red rice, using the parboil method retains all the flavour and colour, but it is illegal to export it

I remember seeking out Turkish parboiled rice for a recipe some time ago, though I can't remember what

I should stress that this is quite different from quick cooking rice

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:32 am

I didn't know that, Sue. Thank you.

Jeral - yes, brown rice takes ages to cook compared to white. I find that Basmati takes slightly less time.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox